Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: OT October Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Thank to all of you for the response.

BBS, I too have wondered about the medication she is on, but I hate to say a lot since I am not at the hospital.

Agate and Rose, I am so thankful that hotel got Grayson out of there and to the airport. I had dreaded him going to Malaysia and Korea, but now I am just glad he is away from that area.

Rose, I hope you and your family are in a safe area. From what you said it sounds like the fires could pop up anywhere, but especially with the wind gust being what they are. Do whatever you have to do to stay safe. Thanks for looking for Grayson. He was tied for 9th place. Still money was not bad. Pretty good payday.

I don't know what part of California Nuthatch's children are in but I do know that a fire had broken out close to Nuthatch a short time ago and she said it was closer than any fire had ever been to them.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

TC's twin brother is in Mendocino County, California..so somewhere in the midst of the fires. We haven't been in touch with him for years so can't contact him...but are worried. Terrible fires in one of the most beautiful areas of the country..
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

We are safe for now, as the Canyon Fire 2 is moving south, and we live in north county. Unfortunately, most of my remaining family live in south county, as well as several close friends, and they might end up being in this fire's path.

We do live in proximity to a natural preserve (which we've fought for years to keep open and not developed with more homes), and it is vulnerable during fire season.

Cat ~ you are so right that the Wine Country in Northern California is magnificent. I pray that your brother in law and his home are safe.

I watched an interview with a couple in Santa Rosa, who lost their home to the No. Cal. fire. The woman said they had just finished remodeling their home, and had a party recently to celebrate their work. They had about 5 minutes to evacuate, before flames engulfed their home. They saved their pets, both of their cars, and only have those and the clothes on their backs now. I just weep for these folks. I can't imagine losing everything.

Hope nuthatch checks in soon ~ prayers for all affected by these fires.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Rose, keep a close watch. When Grayson went to bed last night he had no idea and by the middle of the night he had fire all around him. It just boggles my mind. I saw some of it on TV and it was awful because it appears to be a lot in a heavily populated area.

Cat, I do hope that you will be able to find out something about TC's brother and that he and any family he has will be alright.

Nuthatch - calling you - we need you to check in.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Thanks for all your concern. We are fine. I was not even aware of the scary fire situation until my daughter called. We are halfway between San Francisco and LA, so in no danger. I usually have CNN on and would have heard about it, but my girlfriend came up to visit today, so I was preoccupied and didn't see the news. I have a friend in Santa Rosa that I am concerned about and hope he will reply to my text when he is able, but cell service is down there.
    My girlfriend came up to spread her recently deceased husband's ashes near a place he loved. The task plus the finality of her loss was weighing heavy on her. This is her second soulmate she has had to "bury". I hurt for her.

Virginia, when my mother had a stroke last year, the hospital withheld food from her because they were afraid she would choke. We had a swallow study done ASAP and while there were difficulties, she quickly regained her swallowing abilities. She is okay now, but if it were left up to the hospital, they would have written her off and starved her to death just because she is 92 and nearly blind. There can be recovery from a stroke and everyone needs to have someone who questions decisions made by doctors, hospitals and insurance companies.
    I wish her the best.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Nuthatch, that is truly a cautionary tale about hospitals and the elderly. When my MIL was in hospital at @85, with kidney failure among other things, doc said it wasn't a bad way to go and told her that as well. My DH asked what intervention was possible and opted for it. Her kidney failure resolved. She peeked up when DH told her there were options for intervention.

Then there was the time staff forgot to put her into meal computer. We didn't know she had no meals. We worked and visited her in the evenings. She finally asked us, "what do u have to do to get a meal around here." , which is how we discovered the problem. She had mild dementia which may have accounted for her not complaining to us sooner.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks Nuthatch and BBS for the input re hospitals. I will try to clue family in when I hear from someone. I don't know what is taking place today. I figure they will not call until they know something.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I do not like the way hospitals are today. When I was nursing they were much more hands on and less dismal. Virginia I hope Grayson's grandma is better. Unnecessary tests were not done just to get more money. They jerked Jamie around every time she was in the hospital. Her bills were astronomical.

I read all the posts but can't remember what I wanted to respond to. AT&T is coming today to change my modem and it will give me better internet and for less money.

I only ever had one MRI and that was in 1987. I have refused any more. Because I had cancer three times with cobalt treatments, chemo, and radiation I don't want any,more things that damage my immune system.

I do everything I can to improve my immune system as I believe our immune systems are not strong enough to protect our myelin. I have been on LDN since 2000 and it boosts my immune system.

I think today is my friend's eye doctor appointment and I hope she gets the okay to have the Hoveround I got her. Jeanie :)

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The importance of sleeping well and enough becomes clear to me every time I don't sleep well.

Today I'm staggering around, bumbling and dropping things, because last night I slept badly. The power went out at midnight, just as I was about to go to sleep, and stayed off for nearly 9 hours. All night I was getting colder and colder and kept waking up.

At least I had my Talking Books player running on its battery and could listen to a book instead of getting all bothered about the power. I worry about how cold it might get and whether my food will need replacing.

The outage was at the same location as the last one a couple of months ago. That one was 12 hours.

At least my 94-year-old neighbor is in a rehab center at the moment and I hope the staff will be tending to her.

Just yesterday afternoon we'd had the monthly residents' meeting with a demonstration of what is in an emergency kit that is stored in the office: hand warmers, flashlights, bandages, etc.

A leaflet was distributed about emergency preparedness, listing supplies you have to have. I have all of them except for the recommended deck of cards. I'll have to supply myself with that.

The catch with the emergency kit stored in the office is that the office isn't open 2/3 of the time, and we'd have to break a window and reach down for the (heavy) emergency kit, but we can't do that because the window glass has chicken wire built into it so it can't be broken.

It was a nice thought.
    Last edited by agate; 10-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Agate, I have bad sleep problems and can really tell a difference. So I can relate to what you are saying about staggering around and not doing well today. I hope all your food was alright.

I have been taking care of calls and things today that I have put off for ages. I feel better that some of these things have been taken care of.

Where is Howie?
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast