Thread: The drug companies are trying hard

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The drug companies are trying hard

I have received the Fall 2017 issue of Momentum magazine, put out by the National MS Society. It's a 74-page booklet, with 37% of the pages occupied by ads for 7 MS drugs.

In addition, the issue came encased in plastic along with a booklet on stiff paper, with color photos and page after page of charts, brought to me by Aubagio. The booklet has a pocket containing a leaflet giving the prescribing information.

What interests me is these charts.

A couple of pages have large-type announcements about how Aubagio reduces relapses: 57% relapse-free in Clinical Trial 1, 57% relapse-free in Clinical Trial 2, and 72% relapse-free in Clinical Trial 3. No mention is made of how long these clinical trials last.

Next we have a couple of pages about how Aubagio slows disability progression: 80% with no disability progression in Clinical Trial 1, 84% in Clinical Trial 2. Once again, no mention of how long a time these people were studied for.

Then there are a couple of pages about how Aubagio lessens new lesions, and we are told that 80% had fewer new lesions with Aubagio vs. placebo (Clinical Trial 1).

Wouldn't a person want to know how long this drug was tested? Only a few months, or was it years?

To find this out, you'll need to explore the leaflet buried in the pocket of this booklet, which is in tiny print. Assuming that the studies mentioned in that leaflet are the same as Clinical Trials 1, 2, and 3, we learn that Study 1 lasted "up to 26 months," Study 2 lasted "up to 40 months," and Study 3 lasted "up to 108 weeks" (2.5 years).

The words "up to" in all three of them must mean that for some people, maybe quite a few people, the study lasted considerably less than the time given.

Maybe these drugs are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm just queasy about how hard they're trying to sell them.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Wink

So you signed up for them ALL I guess? What a pal, what a chum!!!
    Roswell was a gift.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

On a serious note, how many drugs are now made for MS? The total number.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

About 14, not counting Ampyra, which isn't a disease-modifying drug but has helped people to walk better.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

The reason for that last question. The cure for MS lies in the middle of the treatments. They are all close, and make some difference in the progression of the disease, but don't cure it.

I think the cure is known. But MS is a cash cow for the drug companies. A cure would stop all that, it's not going to be exposed until every penny has been made.

It would be interesting to know the parent company of each of the new treatments Agate listed. Few if any are an independent company I would guess. The paper trail would end long before anyone is able to find that information.

One way to bring about the cure would be for every MSer to stop taking whatever med they take. Just stop. The cash flow stops, the companies stock plunge, and the only way to save face is for some parent company to suddenly announce We Have Found the Cure!

And they open their safe, and blow the dust off it, and declare..."And here it is!" But that's not going to happen.

So that is how I see this disease and it's many, profitable treatments.

Good night all!
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I doubt they know the cure. No way to keep that under wraps, too many would know.

But there are incentives to not find a cure for many illnesses including MS...This is detailed in An American Sickness by Elizabeth Rosenthal MD. The book details many of the problem areas in financing all aspects of USA medical care. It's a big eye opener for sure. It's a little redundant, could've been half as long. You can skim redundancies.

It's amazing that they DID find a cure for Hep C. So, cures are still possible despite the disincentive to cure.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

The biggest problem here as far as I can tell is that MS is basically a collection of symptoms lumped together. It has a different effect on different people. I can't see finding a cure going that route.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

US drug companies producing MS drugs, and the MS Society lists 15 MS drugs (stay tuned for more of them):

BIOGEN - Avonex, Plegridy, Zinbryta, Tecfidera, Tysabri

NOVARTIS - Extavia, Gilenya

SANOFI GENZYME - Aubagio, Lemtrada

TEVA - Copaxone

BAYER - Betaseron

SANDOZ - Glatopa

EMD SERONO - Rebif

PFIZER - Novantrone

GENENTECH - Ocrevus

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Good 'ole Biogen just hangs right up at the top.

I am with BBS - I don't think they have a cure. Something like that would have leaked for sure. However, they may not be working as hard as they could to find one either. I don't know.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"