Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (OT)Wild West Department, coyote division

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

That is a very familiar sound I hear at night at least once a week here. Yes, coyotes bark as well as howl and yip. I've seen them in the mornings and also in the late afternoons while it's still broad daylight, but mostly we hear them late at night. About a month ago I was awakened by a solitary coyote, very close to my bedroom window, who barked, yipped, and howled for 15 minutes straight! Thats unusual, they normally raise a racket for about 30 seconds. Just a few coyotes can sound like 50!

When we were building our home, my DH would bring me over every day to see what progress had beed made that day. One afternoon, as I was being loaded into the van, I noticed 3 or 4 jackrabbits frantically zigzag jumping ( boy, are they fast!) from our lot to the lot next door. They had been rousted out of the field of tall weeds by 4 coyotes who were trying to corral them up. I'd never realized that they can work in packs like that until I saw it first hand. It was a very coordinated effort, but jackrabbits are very, very fast, unlike cottontails.
    They will also take dogs. My brother lives in San Clemente, CA. Years ago, they had one small dog grabbed by a coyote in their front yard, in the daytime, as my sister-in-law was unloading groceries from her car. The dog yelped, she screamed, and the coyote dropped the dog as it ran across the street. Lucky dog.
    Last month, as my brother was walking his dog along a somewhat busy street, people kept honking at him. Finally, a car stopped along side of him, rolled down the window and told my brother there was a coyote about 10 feet behind him. Sure enough, there was. It was after the dog. He scooped up the dog, quickly! Dogs have been snatched right off leashes there.
    Another brother lives in Las Vegas. He posted a video on FB of a coyote in someone's block wall fenced yard, walking around a swimming pool with a beautiful cat in it's mouth. Then it jumped up on top of that 6 ft. wall, looked around and over he went! Shocking and sad, right in the middle of the city, not on the outskirts.

Neighbors have lost cats here. We don't let our cats go outside until after about 9 a.m. because I've seen coyotes in the mornings. The cats don't feel safe, so stick close to the door. We leave the slider open about 8 inches so they can get in quickly if needed. They are in for the day by 11 a.m. Sparky lets me know if there is a coyote, dog or human around . . . she runs through the house growling!

Of course, my mountain living daughter has lots of coyote stories, and more. My San Clemente brother recently had a mountain lion sighting in his yard too, caught on security camera footage. A man on a nighttime walk alerted him on a community FB page of the sighting, so he checked the security camera footage. Sure enough, even saw the man on tape, who had moved across the street when he saw that cat! Scary! Keep your pets in at night, even in the city!

Here's a coyote bark. Sounds like a small dog.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcN5kBXAiw

Good video about coyotes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euG7R11aXq0

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Foxes sound very different than coyotes. The first time I heard one, I didn't know what it was. Once we had a fox in our yard and a coyote just over the property line in the vacant acreage next door. The fox alerted us with his screams that there was a coyote sitting in the tall weeds. Here's a fox sound. Neat creatures!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=5aT8TWFxmEI

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nuthatch, that fox sounds like a dog with a bad cold or maybe even a cat with a bad cold!

I've always liked foxes though never knew one up close.
    Last edited by agate; 09-25-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

We had three sightings of foxes when we were on the tip of Provincetown. Beautiful young ones. They must be common there because a nearby inn was called, Fox Inn or something like that.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I know they're not related, but I always thought foxes had features that looked very doglike. But being as there are so many breeds of dogs, you have a good chance of finding a doppelganger. (At dang coffee iz making me use dem big city wurds)
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

We've had foxes here, too. But the den they were using got some sort of bacterial thing, or virus thing...whatever it was, they (the foxes) got mange, and died. This happened two years in a row. We haven't seen any foxes this year. Once when they were hanging around here, we were feeding our TabbyGrey on the porch. The fox came up to get his food, and chased him away. It was two days before he returned, unharmed. That's when we brought him inside for good.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seemingly the widespread disappearance of their habitat is bringing more and more wild animals into populated areas where they wouldn't have been seen before.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Foxes belong to the same lineage as dogs, wolves, jackals (coyotes):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canidae

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Thanks Rose. I guess the next thing I'll see is Sam riding on foxes, and wanting turkey! You just let me see them going after my pasta, and we're going to have trouble!
    Roswell was a gift.

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12