Thread: Ibogaine and methamphetamine

Distinguished Community Member Sherman Peabody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ibogaine and methamphetamine

-----

What Is Iboga?

Tabernanthe iboga is a powerful psychedelic from West Africa that has been in use for centuries in traditional healing ceremonies. It can be used in its traditional form from the root bark of the plant (known as iboga), or in the laboratory-isolated form of ibogaine which only contains the central psychoactive substance (known as ibogaine). Today iboga is best known for its miraculous ability to cure or drastically reduce addiction to substances like alcohol, crack cocaine, and heroin in a single treatment. It can also help people overcome addiction to prescription opiates such as morphine, methadone, Vicodin, Percocet, and OxyContin. While this may sound too good to be true, scores of personal testimonies and now clinical research is backing up this claim, and iboga treatment centers are popping up all over the world specializing in treating addiction, post traumatic stress, and mood disorders.

Ibogaine addiction recovery therapy

Ibogaine is "the closest thing to a silver bullet for addiction as you’ll ever find. If there ever was a miracle drug for eliminating opiate withdrawals and addiction, Ibogaine is it."

Ibogaine is an indole alkaloid found in the bark of the root of the African shrub Tabernan. It has strong anti-addictive qualities, including high efficacy in acute opioid withdrawal and addiction. In laymen’s terms, Ibogaine is a secret tribal hallucinogen that helps you achieve your two most difficult goals.

1) Ibogaine can significantly reduce opiate/opioid withdrawal symptoms in under 24 hours.

2) Ibogaine eliminates the desire for opiates/opioids. Many people who have taken Ibogaine swear that it cured their addiction altogether.

Ibogaine treatment has a mortality rate of 1 in 300, with deaths coming from brachycardia (heart rate slowing way down) and lethal combinations with other drugs. The risks of this treatment should therefore be weighed very carefully, and treatment should only be done in a medical setting.

People with a history of heart attack, heart murmurs, arrhythmia, heart operations or severe obesity should not take ibogaine. Before taking ibogaine the individual should not use his drug of choice for the time period the drug needs to be sufficiently eliminated.

Ibogaine is considered the 'active' compound in the Tabernanthe iboga plant, used for centuries as a healer, teacher, and catalyst for ceremonies by the Bwiti people indigenous to
    what is now the Central-west African republic of Gabon. But the versatile plant has remained virtually unknown in the West, where it has a very different history. Researcher Howard Lotsof, PhD, addicted to heroin and methadone, discovered the anti-addictive action of ibogaine in 1962. Given a capsule of pure ibogaine HCL by a trusted friend who was familiar with chemistry, Lotsof was simply seeking a new high. He was astonished when coming out of this difficult experience 36-opiate-abstinent hours later to realize he had no physical craving for opiates, and even more remarkably, very little of the agonizing physical symptoms normally associated with opiate withdrawal.

Methamphetamine is a stimulant drug usually used as a white, bitter-tasting powder or a pill. Crystal meth, a form of the drug, looks like glass fragments or shiny, bluish-white rocks. It is chemically similar to amphetamine.

Methamphetamine increases the amount of the natural chemical dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is involved in body movement, motivation, pleasure, and reward (pleasure from natural behaviors such as eating). The drug’s ability to release high levels of dopamine rapidly in reward areas of the brain produces the "rush" (euphoria) or "flash" that many people experience. Methamphetamine is highly addictive. When people stop taking it, withdrawal symptoms can include anxiety, fatigue, severe depression, psychosis and intense drug cravings.

Ibogaine is the only treatment for heroin, opiate, opioid, crystal meth and fentanyl addiction that can eliminate withdrawal and craving in 30 to 45 minutes.

Ibogaine is not currently approved for any medical uses in the U.S. It is used as an alternative medicine treatment for drug addiction in some countries. Its prohibition has slowed scientific research. The use of Ibogaine for drug treatment is now accepted in Canada, Mexico, France, and the UK. In many cases, administration of a therapeutic course of Ibogaine is followed by intensive counseling therapy. Often more than one round of the drug is needed for lasting sobriety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son had ibogaine treatment in January this year for his meth addiction, and he has not taken any drugs since. He is a completely different boy with a very different outlook on life. He had been on antidepression meds for years and has never suffered from depression or taken any meds since his treatment. This was the only treatment that worked for his addiction and I know if it wasn't for Ibogaine I would have buried him as he did try to take his life many times. He is a success story for Ibogaine.

My son and I are involved with a group of 20 people here that had Ibogaine treatment for their drug addiction, and not one has gone back to drugs or had any problems with the treatment. Some of them had been to rehab quite few times and still couldn't kick their habit until they had Ibogaine. One of the girls is now married with a child and living a life without drugs for 5 years now. Ibogaine is a prescription medicine here and has to be administered by a doctor in a nice clean clinic, not some dirty hotel room, and we don't call it a miracle drug. It is just a treatment that should be available to addicts that want to give up and can't do it with other treatments. Ibogaine here is a herbal product not a drug. Every single person has different experiences when they have Ibogaine so unless you or anyone else has tried it you can't really speak about it like we can. And another thing you don't have to have a drug problem to take it. We've had doctors, psychiatrists and herbalists try Ibogaine and they have all been impressed. And it is wonderful to finally get my son back and see light in his eyes just like all the other ex-addicts here.

I am from New Zealand. I am Maori and we use the bush and forest to heal our sick ones. That is why I believe so much in Ibogaine and I have seen so many people successfully get off drugs using this treatment. And yes, I do agree that a doctor has to be involved and all the tests done before hand. We do not call it a miracle treatment or promise that everyone will become drug free, because it is still up to the person if they want to become drug free. Ibogaine gives them a 3 to 6 months chance after it has cleaned their insides to start working on their problems as to why they went down that track in the first place. Addicts can work on their problems with help as Ibogaine stops the craving for drugs for months. This is a very important part of the treatment once they have been cleaned.

-----

DMT and psilocybin helped me quit crystal meth

By Brian

My story involves a transformation in mind and the escape from a crippling addiction. I have no doubt my recovery was spurred by the catalyst of psychedelic experience, specifically dimethyltryptamine and psilocybin. I’m a 44-year old male from a middle working class family, and I've had an interest in mind-altering substances since my teens.

A year ago I was involved in an affair with crystal methamphetamine that took me to the brink of insanity and physical breakdown. I have DMT and psilocybin to thank for helping me gain perspective and snapping out of its evil spell.

I had some marriage problems, dissatisfaction with my job and frankly boredom that led me back to a old Friend of the Devil that I had managed to stay away from for a good 20 years. I had some experience with meth in my youth, being surrounded by it when I moved to Arizona after high school. That was the late ’80s and early ’90s, and it was a different recipe — less refined. I did get dependent on it back then for a few years, but it never effected me as badly as it did in the recent nightmare it dragged me through. I think the lack of purity and a more recreational approach, as well as a lack of a surplus of the drug to consume, kept me from really losing it back then. I also thought that since I never smoked or injected it I could maintain some control over its pull, but this is a big lie.

This is where psychedelics work their magic in an addicts mind, because they don’t allow you to lie to yourself. Addictions are perpetuated by lies. How else could you look yourself in the mirror with your red skin breaking out from the ooze of chemical sweat and think what I need is just another line of toxins of course? I warn anyone that thinks they are strong enough to experiment with the meth demon: you can be easily fooled. I came into a situation where I could acquire it easily from someone at work. My idea was to use it as a weekend recreation and motivational supplement for mundane chores.

I was getting a much purer product than I had seen 20 years ago — rocks that looked like shards of glass, as many have come to refer to it now shards or glass. I still thought if I refrained from smoking it and just snorted it on the weekends then took a day off to rest before going back to the grind I would be fine. This did work in fact for a while. I enjoyed what seemed like a renewed lust for life and my hobbies of playing guitar and wrenching on my vehicles.

I was getting what seemed to be a lot done helping my wife run her own business etc. This is the insidious nature of the drug because you’re fooled into thinking it’s short-lived performance enhancements are worth the side effects. This starts a game of denial where you watch yourself deteriorate but are helpless to the chains of the addiction, finding a way to justify every time you need to get high. This evil parasite takes up a home inside not just your body but your very soul. If there is such thing as possession by demons, meth addiction qualifies. I kept it a secret from my wife for a long time, hiding it better than I was aware of. I finally confessed during a crisis of our dog almost dying. Meth took me to a state of paranoia eventually that I never would have imagined. Hearing voices, peering out the window sure someone is watching my sorry state of being with malicious intent. I started having delusional hallucinations of parasites attacking my body. I thought the world was out to get me. When I look back on that person I don’t even recognize who I was.

It was a shameful shell of who I really could be and I thank the plant gods for getting me back on the road to recovery. My wife needless to say was upset and felt betrayed, so I agreed to become an outpatient in some expensive rehab of counseling sessions. The counseling was ok but was pushing me toward the standard 12 Step program. I wasn't very impressed with the NA model of abstinence from everything and affirmations of “I’m a loser ready to fall off the wagon anytime.” But that is a flawed ideology, because each moment is a chance to be someone new and different.

Psychedelics show you that your only obstacles are mostly flawed self-perceptions. I continued my own self-healing with DMT and a couple psilocybin trips. I know those were my inspiration to finally flush the last bag of meth down the toilet. I had had previous experiences with psychedelics as early as my late teens. In high school I started with LSD and later had encounters with mushrooms and ecstasy. I look back on those early days of use as less important than my recent journey because the intent was much more recreational then. I took them along with friends to enhance concerts, camping, and hiking adventures more than for their introspective value.

My introduction to DMT would show me a different perspective from some of my more introspective, intense LSD and psilocybin trips, with a unique presence of a caring intelligence. This intelligence offered guidance in a truthful direction giving insights to denied behaviors.

DMT somehow found me at just the right moment to be saved. The first time I used it, it blew my mind. I took a few puffs of an off-white powder, and my room was transformed into some glowing alive space. Everything looked alive and vibrating on some invisible lattice mapped in light. I was astonished to see a figure hovering by in an egg shaped holographic spacecraft with tribal drums and chants echoing in the background of some other time space. Never had I seen anything this intense on any other substance... and it made my beliefs in supernatural realms a reality I could experience at the puff of a pipe — amazing!

Looking back on my behavior, I always played the victim role. I perceived everything happening as out of my control. I can’t say I’m some enlightened being after imbibing the spirit molecule, but I know I’m a better person. My mind is no longer obsessed with dark thoughts of victimization. I found renewed interest in art and expression, and in meditation and Buddhist philosophies. I also have found an interesting side effect is I no longer crave alcohol. I will have a beer or two but no desire to get hammered anymore.

I recommend psychedelic therapy to anyone in the grips of addiction with a willingness to be saved. But be prepared to see yourself and your world in a new light―the transformation is not all warm and fuzzy rose garden parties. It can be a rude awakening to the work that you were running from while getting high.

-----

I started doing meth at 17. My addiction deepened, and I was arrested for being under the influence of meth. I was sentenced to a 28 day in patient program, then 6 months of out patient group sessions. I completed my 28 day program and then moved back to MO to finish out. I was speeding again within 2 days of being back. I completed my out patient program while using.

Just after I turned 20 I was at a Festival in MO called "Shwagstock". I had showed up spun pretty heavily but as the day wore on I was unable to find any more. Just as the come down was about to get really horrible a friend of mine showed up with some Liquid Acid. I couldn't tell you the strength, but the trip itself lasted nearly 14 hours. I had done acid before so I didn't go in unaware of what was going to happen, but my friend gave me some advice I'd never had before. She told me to focus on my inner self, to see the beauty in the world and try to draw in and keep it. On this trip I had my very first epiphany.

Over the next 4 months I put aside my weekends for Psychedelics. Mostly LSD, but Shrooms as well, Mescalin and Peyote once apiece. I found that every time I'd come out the other side I'd feel changed, and the changes never faded. At first it was just general stuff. I started to smile more (very strange for the angry, depressed person I used to be), the world around me seemed more beautiful no matter what state of mind I was in. Trees seemed greener, the wind felt more crisp, the smell of morning dew seemed more sharp. Then more drastic changes happened, my anger vanished, I began to feel positively about myself, and most importantly to myself, reality stopped looking like such a horrible place to be. I've been clean from Meth for 5 years.

-TomorrowByStorm

-----

I was responsible for dosing 65 patients with ibogaine hydrochloride to reverse drug dependency for over 18 months. All the patients I saw had severe and long-term addiction problems with cocaine, heroin, morphine, amphetamines, crack cocaine and methadone (the nastiest of all of them, I found).

Immediately after administration of ibogaine, all patients showed short-term improvement, many improved permanently and to this day, and many have coped somewhere in between, improved lives but not abstinence, and with lapses at times.

Of the 65 individuals, I would have to say it was almost universal that these individuals did not have their biological father in their lives for all or most of their childhood to adolescence. That was the striking universality of treating these individuals who are self-destructively using these substances, I found that "Daddy" issues are the paramount psychic wound that invites drug dependency.

Ibogaine hydrochloride is very safe, there were absolutely no health anomalies in all the time we worked at Iboga Therapy House 2002 - 2004 version. In fact, all the patients lives improved markedly, and their drug withdrawal and drug cravings were vastly curtailed upon administration of ibogaine.

The problem was in the patient's release to the world. Treating a substance dependent individual is futile if they are sent back to the same neighborhood and in the same social mileux. They are sure to lapse then. They need a new environment with one person who can help them keep busy and away from temptation. Alas, most people I treated were at risk to themselves if they had more than $10 in their hand. A substance dependent person has many triggers that set off a flush of mania for drugs and #1 is having money on your person, because now you can buy drugs. #2 is being in your neighborhood you usually score in, #3 is ANY neighborhood you can score in, #4 is hanging around with your friends (all whom likely are into the substance you must now distance yourself from).

So in order to give someone the best chance to get beyond substance dependency, the individual will need to:

1) Live in a new neighborhood
    2) Change partner or have no partner
    3) Get all new friends
    4) Get a new lifestyle, job or way of living

Or re-phrased, stay away from all drug-using friends and acquaintances, avoid all old scoring neighborhoods, carry only $5 for emergencies and have a trusted friend (not using) buy your daily essentials. Keep busy and have plans to keep very, very busy. Ibogaine treatment also reduces your need to sleep for more than 3 hours for 2 or 3 weeks afterward, so keeping busy is very important. Taking up physical exercise is so important in recovery, as is an greatly improved diet, these two are greatly underestimated and under-utilized by those recovering.

This is a necessary program of recovery, but it is very, very difficult, especially for people, who, after years of severe drug dependency, have burned all their bridges with family, friends, employers, etc.

-Marc Scott Emery

-----

A British Columbia study was the first time ibogaine's therapeutic benefits for opiate addiction are being measured systematically in a public investigation.

Preliminary results justify much of the hype. "I've witnessed people's lives being turned around," said Leah Martin, one of the study leaders. Of 20 pre-study clients who took ibogaine at the facility, 13 were found to be abstaining when evaluated later, after an average interval of six months. The abstainers included six out of seven cocaine or crack addicts, three of eight opiate addicts and four of five people with other addictions, including methamphetamine.

With an overall abstinence rate of 65 percent, ibogaine does way better than the 10-percent average of conventional drug-treatment programs, Martin said. What's more, the clients at the B.C. facility are usually the hardest cases.

"People who contact us have already done every type of program in their city and are scouring the Internet. They've been in detox multiple times and are highly resistant to other therapy. They say, 'This is my last hope,'" she said.

Ibogaine works in 2 ways. It eliminates cravings for heroin and other drugs, but it also often works at a deeper level, by causing them to revisit life experiences, good and bad, helping many find ways to heal and ensure cravings don't come back. Scientists say it's like hitting a reset button for your brain. Traces of the drug remain in the body for up to 6 months, continuing to ward off addictive urges in unknown ways. "It truly is its own category of drug," Martin said.

"Ibogaine appears to work on every neurotransmitter system we know about", Kenneth Alper, Professor of Psychiatry at New York University School of Medicine, told the Journal of the American Medical Association in a 2002 story on ibogaine. Alper, who is also a co-investigator in the study, has called the use of ibogaine "one of the biggest paradigm shifts regarding treatment for addiction in the span of my career".

-Alex Roslin

-----

I had the pleasure of doing ibogaine to cure my addiction to crystal meth, and it worked! I’m 100% better. This stuff is a miracle. We need to legalize it. I feel like I never even used meth and am therefore free from the feelings of needing it. God bless ibogaine.

-taija

-----

Rocky Caravelli, a former Oregon resident who operates an ibogaine treatment clinic in Mexico says he tried ibogaine in Portland to shake a methamphetamine habit. "It was the first thing that really worked for me," Caravelli said. "It cured the opiate withdrawals, and resolved my meth cravings. I was amazed."

-----

On hearing about ibogaine, Madhu Braunger thought the substance might work for her son. But to convince him, she thought she had to try it herself first.

She scraped together the $6,000 fee and during spring break last year, flew to Mexico to try ibogaine. Once checked into the clinic, Braunger doubted she could go through with it. Sitting with clinic staff around a fire ring on the patio, Braunger decided to try.

Given three pills, she was left in a darkened bedroom with a pitcher of water and a candle. A baby monitor let the staff keep tabs on her.

Braunger's description is hard to grasp, she knows that. She said she visualized parts of her own ego, and then seemed transported to somewhere in the universe "where I saw absolutely nothing but love."

The treatment, she realized, could help her son confront the complex issues that drove him to his drug use.

"I knew right away that I was going to recommend it to my son," Braunger said.

Braunger sensed the time had come when he became suicidal after another round of drug abuse.

"He came to the house. He was straight," Braunger said. "He said, 'I will do anything.' "

Braunger made her way into the ibogaine underworld, recruiting a practitioner to travel to Portland to treat Hansen in a motel room.

"The result," she said, "was stunning. He quit drugs, got a job and turned himself in for fugitive warrants."

"It worked." Braunger said. "The monkey was off his back."

-Les Zaitz

-----

James was addicted to methamphetamine.

“I’ve destroyed everything and everyone in my life,” he confides to us. “I can’t go home again. I’ve lied, cheated and stolen; I’ve been fired from jobs, lived on the street, done so much damage that all the ‘amends’ in the world wouldn’t begin to fix it. I can’t stay clean, even though I know I have to. That’s my biggest fear, that I’ll get out of here and go right back to the same life as before. If that happens, I’m already done. I might as well be dead already. I’m not, am I?”

James is restless as he leaves the beach house for the clinic on the morning of his ibogaine session. He tells us he got zero sleep - his mind just wouldn’t leave him alone, berating him with all the fear and failure he had shared with us. Still, as he pulls away in the van bound for Tijuana, he flashes a confident smile and two thumbs up.

When James returns to the beach house two days after treatment, he looks as if he’s been to war. He’s pale and shaky, doesn’t want to talk, says he doesn’t mean to be rude but is anyway. He manages a crooked grin in our direction. “Unbelievable,” he rasps.

Two days post-treatment, we are sitting together under the watchful care of Anny Ortiz, the onsite therapist. Through biofeedback and breathing, she’s taken James into a deep state of relaxation. His eyes are closed, his body open, his words unchecked as he recounts the horrors of the first few hours of his ibogaine treatment.

“Then, it’s like, I saw something on the other side of all that, something bright… luminous. I knew I had to get there – but I was stuck in all this **** and noise and the terrible things I’ve done to people and the even worse things people have done to me… and every time I’d try to get out I’d get sucked right back in and I’d feel that… rage… rising up again… and I would do anything to make it stop! It’s like, ‘Do I have to ****ing die?! And then this very clear voice said: ‘Don’t die. Forgive.’”

James pauses. His lips quiver; his eyelids tighten. And right there, before our eyes, James seems to kick back into his ibogaine experience. His breath sharpens; his movements become twitches and shivers. After a time the tears come – for all of us, actually. His words pour out like a litany as he starts to forgive – himself, his parents, the people in his life, friends and enemies, anyone who’s ever hurt him, anyone he’s ever hurt; he’s naming names, releasing rivers of pain and regret, asking to be cleansed, forgiven. His voice becomes barely audible, his whispered prayers punctuated by such statements as: “So beautiful,” “Oh my God,” and “Thank you.”

Ten minutes later James is holding us all in a big group hug. “I love you guys so much,” he says, his gentle yin reciprocal to his bearlike physicality. “Thank you for being with me for this experience. It means more to me than you’ll ever know.”

Over the next few days, James’s inner and outer talk begins to change. He articulates his vision for a new life. He tells us he believes that now it’s possible to repair some of the damage in his life. Even more important, he says, for the first time he feels as if he’ll be able to stay clean. While still at the clinic, he reconnects with his mom, who invites him to come back home. He also reaches out to his former employer (who fired him for using drugs) and is told that when he’s ready, there’s still a job for him.

James remains in touch with us post-treatment. His phone calls are sweet, upbeat, full of optimism and enthusiasm. He’s back to work and has moved into a sober living community.

-The Fix

-----

I was in an experimental mood and made the mistake of trying meth. For the next 3 months I couldn't even get out of bed without it. I was stuck in an endless cycle of chasing a high and fighting the crash for 3-10 days at a time, sleeping for a few days, rinse and repeat... Then my friend had the bright idea to try tripping and weening off of it.

I was so addicted at the time that I was like "If I stay up for a few days on meth, I'll be tripping hard anyway..." Well, 1/4 gram of DMT got the weening off going, and at the end of it I suddenly hated my addiction. I started meditating, studying Buddhism, and crying every time I started a binge because I couldn't say no to it. Then a month later I did LSD, and I asked god to remove my addiction because I couldn't do it alone and... Well, it actually worked. I'm off meth for two weeks and the cravings are less and less every day, I'm sober and happy again, wide awake without drugs enjoying my life, meditating and writing... It's been a wild ride, I don't regret meth because it lead to me building a personal relationship with our higher self, and I think I may have achieved a permanent state of semi-enlightenment.

So for any addicts out there wondering if the tripping actually works, after four months of my life revolving around meth I'm sober and ecstatic. Yes this does, work you just gotta make a constant effort. It took a few trips to really get nailed in, but now I don't even feel like drinking or smoking weed, or tripping or anything. Tripping got me off drugs! I even dropped my meth friends, found the confidence to make new friends and talk to women, thank you psychedelics.

-AlmightyPhoenix

-----

Last month, dozens of ibogaine researchers, activists, and treatment providers gathered for a conference in Barcelona, where topics included safety and sustainable sourcing of ibogaine from Africa. Dr. Kenneth Alper was among the attendees who gave a presentation on the benefits of ibogaine to the Catalan Ministry of Health. The NYU prof believes ibogaine’s most likely path to prominence in the United States will be as a medication for meth addiction, for the simple reason that doctors and treatment providers have found that small daily—and thus drug-company-friendly—doses seem to work better formeth addiction than the mind-blowing “flood doses” used on opiate addicts.

Alper says no one thought to try non-hallucinogenic quantities of ibogaine until recently. Ibogaine treatment providers tend to have been former ibogaine users, and most assumed that the introspection brought on by tripping was key to overcoming their addictions. “That’s just how it evolved,” he says, noting that the large doses do seem to work best for opiate detox. “You’re talking about a drug that has been used in less than 10,000 people in the world in terms of treatment. It’s not surprising that’s how it evolved.”

“The visions have some psychological content that is salient and meaningful,” Alper adds. “On the other hand, there is no successful treatment for addiction that’s not interpreted as a spiritual transformation by the people who use it. It’s the G-word. It’s God. We as physicians don’t venture into that territory, but most people do.”

-Keegan Hamilton

-----

Ibogaine addiction therapy

By Keegan Hamilton

Clare Wilkins got hooked on heroin at the age of 20 while majoring in Latin American studies and psychology at Cornell University. Drug use led to depression, and she dropped out her senior year. She’d been trying to get clean using methadone for eight and a half years when her younger sister learned about ibogaine via the Internet. Wilkins, then 30 years old and employed as bookkeeper, read up on the subject, started saving up and, in 2005, shelled out $3,200 for a session at the XYZ Clinic* in Tijuana.

The trip—in both senses of the word—changed her life.

“I received a direct message that I was washed in love,” Wilkins says of her first encounter with the hallucinogen. “That the universe in its entirety is full of love, and that courses through us and was there for me. There was this soul body, this light body that had no beginning and no end. My fingers had no end; there were atoms coming in and going out."
    “It got me off of methadone completely,” she continues. “My sense of shame about my addiction was washed away without having to practice with a therapist and talk, talk, talk.”

The experience was so profound that she elected to stay on at the clinic as a volunteer. Confident and chatty, with long brown curls and a disarming smile, Wilkins feels she has a knack for guiding patients through their ibogaine-induced spiritual awakenings.

“On ibogaine, all your walls come down,” she says. “You can’t lie. You get an opportunity to look at yourself honestly and see how you respond. My role is to be there as a comfort. People compliment me by saying, ‘You knew exactly when to hold my hand.’”

In 2006, XYZ Clinic director Martin Polanco offered Wilkins a full-time job. She’d heard rumors he was considering selling the clinic in the coming year, and on a whim, she offered to buy the operation from him outright.

“It was one of those ‘Can I put that back in my mouth?’ moments,” Wilkins recounts with a laugh. “I didn’t have the money; I didn’t even have a car.”

Wilkins borrowed $3,000 from her mother for a down payment, changed the clinic’s name to XYZ Biomedics*, and made monthly payments to Polanco for the next year and a half.

Stays at the clinic aren’t cheap. For the standard 10-day detox, Wilkins charges $7,500, travel not included. She employs a staff of 10, including two Mexican physicians, a paramedic, a masseuse/acupuncturist and a chef. The chef, Wilkins’ sister Sarah, is a recovering addict who credits ibogaine for kicking her drug dependence.

Aaron Aurand, a live-in volunteer, feels the same way. “I did eight months of court-ordered inpatient treatment before I came here,” says the native of Spokane, Washington. “I got more therapy here in five days than I did in that entire time. Lots of junkies don’t want to look inside themselves. With this, you’ll get shown.”

In addition to ibogaine, Wilkins emphasizes nutrition. The clinic’s pantry is mostly organic and gluten-free and boasts a cache of vitamins and supplements that patients gobble by the handful.

“The body has its own framework and can heal itself if you remove harmful substances and balance the systems. We do colon cleanses and liver cleanses even before they get the ibogaine,” she explains, pointing out that there are practical reasons for the former: “You get people who come in here—especially opiate addicts—who are clogged up.”

To date, Wilkins says, she has treated more than 300 patients. “Sixty-two percent of our clients are chronic-pain patients,” she says. “You’re not talking IV [heroin] addicts or crack addicts. You’re talking grandmas on Oxycontin.”

Some people come for “psycho-spiritual” purposes. Ken Wells, an environmental consultant from Santa Rosa, says he underwent conventional counseling for depression for 15 years before trying ibogaine as a last-ditch effort to save his crumbling marriage.

Three days after taking ibogaine for the first time, Wells compares the experience to “defragging a computer hard drive.” He experimented with psychedelics decades ago in college, but, he says, ibogaine is like nothing else.

Ibogaine’s effectiveness has already helped it gain acceptance abroad. Lawmakers in New Zealand, where methamphetamine use has skyrocketed in recent years, have tweaked the nation’s laws to allow physicians to prescribe ibogaine. Dr. Gavin Cape, an addiction specialist at New Zealand’s Dunedin School of Medicine says the nation’s doctors are so far reluctant to wield their new anti-meth weapon. “There is strong advocacy in New Zealand for ibogaine, and it may turn out to have a place alongside conventional therapies for the addictions, but I’m afraid we are a still few years away from that goal.”
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 09-23-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Ibogaine - An addiction interrupter

When taken at low doses, ibogaine causes a stimulant effect eliciting increased alertness, and reducing fatigue, hunger, and thirst. Within three hours after ingesting a higher dose of ibogaine, the user will enter into the “acute phase,” typically lasting four to eight hours. It is during this phase that the user experiences ibogaine’s most intense effects, characterized as the “panoramic recall of a large amount of material relating to prior life events from long-term memory, primarily in the visual modality,” or the “waking dream” state. If the user is an addict, he or she will usually be taken back to the place and time where the underlying issue leading to the addiction arose, allowing the addict to gain critical insight into the reasons why he or she abuses. The user, however, remains in control during the entire ordeal and can terminate negative visions by simply opening his or her eyes. After the acute phase has ended, the user then enters a reflective and neutral state that lasts 8 to 20 hours. The experiences during this stage may vary individual to individual, with some using this time to reflect on what they learned in the first stage. In the majority of cases, the user will be unable to sleep, unless assisted by sleep medication, as ibogaine can cause insomnia for up to 72 hours. In the third and final stage, which can last for an additional 24 hours, the person will be functional, albeit slower and more open or vulnerable.

Following ibogaine treatment, “former addicts” will have two months to one year, free of drug cravings, giving them a “window of opportunity” to seek therapy and support for their addictions. Follow-up therapy is extremely important, as addicts who do not receive the assistance needed to sustain drug-free lives during the window of opportunity often relapse when the psychological issues originally turning them on to drugs return. The larger window of opportunity after taking ibogaine, however, allows patients to “get a head start in their recovery,” while patients treated in traditional clinics must “learn very basic and concrete ways to stay clean, as taught in self-help meetings, and emphasized in psychotherapy.”

-Jennifer R. Donnelly

http://ibeginagain.org/articles/Ibog...elly_2011_.pdf

Blog Entries

Ibogaine, drug to end all drugs

By Tristram Korten

On his 30th birthday, Patrick Kroupa was arrested for possession of heroin in Manhattan. “I turned 30 in the Tombs,” he says, referring to the notorious jail beneath the criminal courthouse. In the dank concrete cell, the magnitude of what he had lost overwhelmed him, and he resolved to quit.

It wouldn’t be his first effort. “I probably tried 18 to 20 medically supervised detox programs over the years, and maybe another 75 do-it-yourself attempts,” he says. Among the programs he tried: substitution therapies like methadone and buprenorphine, which replace heroin with a milder opiate; ultra-rapid detox, in which the addict is anesthetized to help with the withdrawal process; and a medical procedure using a TENS unit in which electrical currents stimulate the brain. But with each method, withdrawal was unavoidable, and Kroupa winces at the memories: “All of them just mean't pain, real pain.” And none of them worked.

Then he heard about a treatment center on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts. In October 1999 Kroupa rounded up the $10,000 necessary to enroll. When he first arrived, he was in the throes of withdrawal— cramping, cold sweats. “My spine felt like it was being crushed,” he recalls.

Kroupa’s treatment consisted of wearing a blindfold on a bed in a darkened room, listening to soothing music through earphones, and ingesting about 12 milligrams per kilogram of body weight of ibogaine hydrochloride in capsule form, all the while attached to a bank of machines that monitored his vital signs. “Within 30 to 35 minutes, this ball of heat went up my spine and the pain just let go,” Kroupa recounts. “Nothing has ever done that. It was like my habit was a bad dream, a mirage. And before I can focus on what just happened, I start tripping. Eight and a half hours later, they take the blinds off.”

Kroupa no longer craved heroin. But it didn’t change 16 years of behavioral patterns that led him to heroin in the first place. On his way back to the U.S., Kroupa’s plane stopped over in Puerto Rico, where he immediately copped a bag of heroin. A month later, strung out again, he returned to St. Kitts for another treatment. He’s been clean ever since.

http://exciteddelirium.net/radar-mag...end-all-drugs/

-----

While ibogaine may be effective for withdrawal from recreational opioid addiction, there are so many, because of chronic pain, who have no other options. Now there is an alternative: Mitragyna Speciosa, aka Kratom. As far as I'm concerned this herb is a Godsend! It provides pain relief while subduing symptoms of withdrawal from opioids, and even reportedly, heroin addiction.

DEA has threatened to make it a Schedule 1 drug, but has put that move on hold due to public outcry and until further studies are done. Currently it can still be purchased in 45 states that I know of. This may be something you might want to look into, if you haven't already.

-DylanCharles & Waking Times

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2017/06/0...oid-addiction/
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 10-07-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Life before "The Temple"* was full of guilt, lies, deception, addiction — all the things that go with using meth. Amazing highs and desperate lows that no one can understand, unless you have lived life within its grip.

Life before Wat Thamkrabok was full of guilt, lies, deception, addiction — all the things that go with using meth. Amazing highs and desperate lows that no one can understand, unless you have life within its grip.

My wife caught me using meth one Sunday. I was shocked by the look of fear and uncertainty on her face. She took my hand and said "give me the drugs, I will help you and I will stick by you no matter what." I had her in one hand and the drugs in the other. It was then I made the decision to give it up.

She contacted her family in Thailand almost instantly. When they heard about my addiction they rallied around me to help me. My wife’s sister-in-law said "bring him to Thailand and we will take him to The Temple." A few weeks later I quit my job and found myself on my way to The Temple – famed for curing people of their addictions through an extreme form of vomit therapy.

All Thai people know about The Temple, if you have drug problems — that’s where you go. And you are taken there by your family. I was a bit nervous, apprehensive, out of my comfort zone. But you’ve got to step out if you want to get off drugs. You can’t be afraid, you’ve got to keep moving forward.

As soon as you arrive you must take a vow, called the ‘Sajja’. Sajja in Thai means making a commitment to yourself. You recite vows told to you by the Sajja monk. You say them out loud in front of the founders, the monk and the temple – committing to get clean.

The belief in Thailand is that breaking the Sajja is very dangerous. It’s thought that if you break that promise, you’ll be back on the old path that will this time lead you to your end. It’s free to come here but you only get one chance at The Temple. There’s no second chances. So if you decide to come here, you’ve got to commit to giving up drugs for the rest of your life.

After you’ve taken the Sajja, you are then taken to the detox yard where the living quarters are. The minimum stay for people who have come abroad is seven days. You are completely cut off from contact with the outside world until the week has passed.

The routine at The Temple involves going out to the yard to help with daily tasks, meals and then, of course, there’s the vomiting.

Vomiting is at 3pm every day. Foreigners must vomit for the first five days. The vomiting is intense. The mixture the monk gives you tastes horrible. It looks shocking and it's pepper hot. I wouldn’t have clue what’s in it but you just knock it back and then start drinking as much water as you can, more is better. It just upsets your stomach and you’ll vomit — a lot.

The first two days were hell, you just want to leave and you’re left feeling sick all the time. But I would recommend to anyone that comes here just stick with it you know. And there’s plenty of help. Everyone will help you, the Thais encourage you and help you and make sure you’re OK. After you finish the vomiting ritual each day you don’t want to do much, you just lay around a grizzle and moan.

By day five of vomiting it got easier. I think it’s just ridding yourself of the negativity really, within yourself. I think it’s maybe it’s a bit of a metaphor for acknowledging that you’re expelling the badness out of yourself. But it must have some sort of medical like powers. I definitely felt better after the five days.

This wasn’t the first time I’d ever been to a detox center — I’ve tried numerous times to kick the meth on my own. You need to make that heart decision to stop drugs. It’s got to come from within.

The main thing I took away from The Temple was time, time to do nothing and just reflect. There were no phones and no contact with the outside world, just you and your thoughts. It really forced me to take the time to reflect on what I had been doing to myself and my family, it was the realisation of taking responsibility for what I had done. I’ve learned to accept responsibility for myself. I’ve learned to keep my commitments. When I say I’m going to do something, I work to stay the course. You find a fort of clarity within yourself to find a way to walk on, to walk away from the drugs.
    *Real name withheld.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...243dce7240c30f

-----

As many as 100,000 addicts have been treated at "The Temple"* since it opened its doors to those in need more than 50 years ago. Most, according to the monks who treat them, are cleansed of their addiction.

The program includes meditation and warm baths but it also includes a cocktail of more than 100 herbal ingredients that patients drink for five days straight. The drink makes them vomit for a week but for those without another option it’s a necessary evil.

Steve, whose story is featured on SBS’ Dateline program, is only one of a number of Aussies who’ve sought treatment at the temple. Most say the therapy is tough but worth doing.

Addict Thawatpong said he’d tried traditional medicine without success. He wanted to cure himself for good and “be normal again”.

“I felt dizzy and felt like vomiting, I felt like a fever was coming on, hot and cold,” he said.

He was sick over and over as monks encouraged him to give in to the cleansing process.

“I’ll do whatever I can to get rid of that toxic stuff, so that I can be normal again,” he said. “That’s why I spent more time vomiting than other people.”

Aside from treating addicts, The Temple is used to teach local children not to use drugs. One young girl told the program watching the addicts continuously vomiting in treatment was “frightening”.

“I felt I didn’t want anything to do with narcotic drugs of any kind.”

Another man, Jack, 52, is asked: “Have you got your sh** together?” He responds: “No”.

“Are you smoking, shooting, sniffing or what?” he’s asked.

He responds: “Methadone”.

Jack is told by the American monk who greets him: “This is your last stop, baby. Either you sh** or get off the pot.”

“I know,” Jack says.

The monk leaves but not before declaring: “I’ll put you down for 10 days. Welcome aboard.”

The treatment is free. For Westerners it’s a big part of the reason they travel so far to seek help. Rehabilitation in the US can cost as much as $30,000.

“The drug treatment here is a physical detoxification,” monk Hans explains. “(But) the physical detoxification is five per cent — 95 per cent is the mental withdrawal from the dark prison, the dark ghetto of drug consuming.”

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre claims meth use in Australia “increased dramatically” during the late 1990s and early 2000s. The center says 75 per cent of drug users have taken meth in the last six months.

In Australia, effective treatments are still being sought and meth use is skyrocketing. To combat the risk meth users pose to medical staff, the federal government recently introduced new guidelines for hospital staff. Staff are told to “avoid prolonged eye contact” and “avoid sudden or threatening gestures”. Paramedic Steve Fraser said he welcomed the changes after experiencing what it is like to deal with a meth addict in the back of an ambulance.

In Thailand, visitors to The Temple have told their stories of survival. “Makes me grateful. I used to live there among fellow users. It's been 354 days, and I'm clean and sober,” one said.

*Real name withheld.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...243dce7240c30f
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 10-11-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Ibogaine is the most amazing addiction interrupter but it is NOT a cure. Ibogaine saved my life. Yes, without it I'm sure I wouldn't have made it. But a TON of aftercare is needed. In fact, aftercare after aftercare. But for anyone interested... ibogaine is the BEST tool for fighting addiction. But if you don't integrate the insights uncovered during the Ibogaine treatment into your daily life, then long-term recovery is not likely.

-Xoloitz Cuintli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGm5R7Krqms (under Comments)

-----

I went down to Mexico to take ibogaine for the first time. It was intense, there was a lot of vomiting, and I had visions about my childhood. The plant explained to me why I was an addict and that everything I had been taught about addiction was wrong. After thirty rehabs…nobody got it right whatsoever, but now I have this plant explaining everything to me. All of this is very new to a Boston guy like me—having a plant speak to you and teach you—but that’s exactly what was happening. It told me that addiction was trauma and unresolved pain, and that all we are doing with addiction is trying to cover it up, whether it’s alcohol, sex, heroin, gambling, or whatever it takes to lose ourselves.

On my second day, I got a very loud message that I would be helping people with this plant for the rest of my life instead of focusing on DJing and living my previous selfish life. Talking about it now, all of this still blows me away. I honestly didn’t think any of it would come true, but it did. It’s been four years now that I’ve been helping people. Everything has been different. I haven’t had a craving for heroin in four years. I haven’t had a day of depression or anxiety. I have lots of other stuff, I’m far from a perfect person, but the major things in life that were troubling me—such as addiction, depression, and anxiety—are no longer a part of my life, and I have ibogaine to thank for that.
    https://psychedelictimes.com/iboga/r...ustin-hoffman/

-----

Governor of Vermont considers psychedelic ibogaine to solve the state’s addiction nightmare

By Douglas Greene

According to The Vermont Department of Health, the state's number of deaths involving heroin has increased dramatically. Last year, Governor Peter Shumlin devoted his entire State of the State speech to the topic, in which he cited Vermont’s 250% increase in treatment for heroin and 770 percent increase in treatment for all opiates since 2000.

But now a bill has been introduced in the state’s House of Representatives: a pilot program to use ibogaine in the treatment of substance use disorders. On March 10th, Rep. Paul Dame and Rep. Joseph “Chip” Troiano introduced H. 387, an act relating to the dispensing of ibogaine for substance abuse treatment. The bill was referred to the House Committee on Human Services.

The bill would direct the Commissioner of Public Safety to develop and implement a three-year pilot program to dispense ibogaine for the treatment of persons addicted to drugs or alcohol. To be eligible to participate, a person must be diagnosed with a severe and persistent substance abuse disorder by a health care provider in the course of a bona fide health care provider-patient relationship. The health care provider must also verify that reasonable medical efforts have been made over a reasonable amount of time without success to reduce or terminate the patient’s reliance on drugs or alcohol. The Department of Health would contract with a nonprofit organization to operate an ibogaine dispensary.

Rep. Dame called ibogaine treatment 'an interesting idea that has shown results in other countries'. "It has the potential to save the state millions of dollars in reduced treatment costs. We talk a lot about protecting people’s freedoms. Here is a way we might be able to help Vermonters free themselves from serious addiction,” he said.

The bill’s prime mover is activist Bonnie Scott. Her group, Vermonters for Ibogaine Research, was founded after Governor Shumlin’s 2014 State of the State speech.

In a press release to announce the bill’s introduction, Scott said, “Vermont has led the U.S. on so many political issues, and has made tackling opioid dependency a priority. Different types of treatment will appeal to, and work better or worse for, different individuals. Vermonters and their physicians should have access to ibogaine as one of their treatment options.”

Vermont’s H. 387 appears to be the first piece of legislation related to ibogaine in the United States since 1992, when late New York State Senator Joseph Galiber introduced a bill that would have required the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services to encourage and aid research into ibogaine as a treatment for heroin and cocaine addiction.

Both Nevada’s S.B. 275 and Vermont’s H. 387 represent two dramatically different and radical new approaches to medication–assisted treatment of opioid use disorders. Are these states really ready to explore heroin maintenance or ibogaine detox and interruption?

http://reset.me/story/gov-of-vermont...gaine-program/

Will individual States take the lead? In my opinion, THIS is the issue to watch!

SP

-----

I am an addict who was cured with Ibogaine. I am 2 years off crystal meth to date. I’m telling you this from the deepest part of my heart. Ibogaine is intense. It takes a lot of perseverance to do an Ibogaine trip. You are sick, you vomit, you have a trip that makes you feel like you're dying, and you must look all your wrongs in the face. It's hard. I peed myself it was so scary and overwhelming. BUT, it does work. When I went to do ibogaine I was living on the street, 98 lbs at 5’5 and dealing meth. I had nothing and nobody. My whole family had given up on me. But with the help of ibogaine, my mother and I are close again and I have plans to start my own treatment center in Mexico, to help others find the cure. My heart aches that there are people out there still suffering, who don't even know the cure is here.

https://madyson007.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/ibogaine/ (under Comments)

-----

While Ibogaine is a miracle at detox, it is by no means easy or totally safe. the herb can be hard on the heart, and ECG’s are required. The provider needs to be a medical doctor and a defibrillator and a heart monitor. Ibogaine is the BEGINNING. Without aftercare the addict is very very vulnerable to relapse. The statistics are great for 6 months after Ibogaine treatment, but then the little demon comes on and trouble starts again. AFTERCARE AFTERCARE AFTERCARE. Not just any old meeting. If they did it before, hello, it did not work. So they need AFTERCARE beginning immediately after Ibogaine, so they are not so stubborn and ornery. Their minds are open and they are more interested in the PROCESS. This is not an event. it is a process. Too many people I see, help us help our addict. Only interested in the immediate Ibogaine. Unfortunately only a few are well in a couple years. Read the blogs about Ibogaine. It is a wonderful herb that is in process of being patented. Read: to make money. Ibogaine has been covered by the mainstream news media, ABC and many articles in magazines and newpapers. Use Google. this is not for the lazy or faint of heart. Ask questions, READ and ask more questions. Loved ones do not have to die.

PS I have 24 years clean and sober, and have a Masters in Addictions.

-----

I remember being ready for the end. I remember. I remember saying to myself, “If she died, she wouldn’t be suffering any more.” I remember the lies, I remember turning my child away in the middle
    of a Minnesota winter because she wouldn’t go to detox. I cried and cried. I remember how horrible she smelled, how unlike herself she looked. May the Divine comfort you in this horrible time.

You are right, the person must be ready. And you’re right, it’s expensive. I was so desperate when I spent the money for the Ibogaine and I really didn’t know what to expect. I thought my daughter was going to die regardless. But I summoned the last of my strength and I said to myself, “This is the last resort and after this, I will have nothing left. God, if you’re listening, do it or don’t do it, but end this. End it. I don’t care how anymore.” The day I got the money order from the bank for the payment I felt like I was bleeding inside. I felt unable to even feel.

There was a tiny window of hope when she told me that most of her fear was concerning withdrawal. She had withdrawn once before and it was so awful she had given up. When she learned that the Ibogaine stops withdrawal in its tracks, she suddenly gained enough hope to try it. I remember how sick I felt when, 4 days before her flight to Mexico, she told me she was going to go use, that the center told her she needed to be ready to go into withdrawal when she dosed on Ibogaine. So I watched my child walk away, knowing she was going to one of those filthy traps where she might (in my mind) do God knows what for a fix. It was so hideous. But then, she went to Mexico. And then, she came back. And then, life began again for our whole family.

In my heart I know that the reasons the US has not allowed Ibogaine into this country do not include “potential for abuse.” Anyone who has done Ibogaine will tell you that’s crap. Ibogaine trips are HARD. They are NOT recreational. It’s simply that the trials were blocked by the Suboxone people. Suboxone is a big money maker in the US. And yes, the big corporations know that this cure (Ibogaine) exists, and they are profiting on the desperation of addicts, giving them a drug that is just as harmful and addictive as the heroin they are trying to get off. The immorality is stunning.
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 10-11-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Australian therapist calls on government to research ibogaine for treatment of ice addiction

By Harriet Tatham

An alternative drug therapy provider has written to the Australian government calling for research into a controversial alternative treatment to combat ice addiction.

Hypnotherapist Vanessa Gregory said the Government's National Innovation and Science Agenda should be used to fund a drug trial of iboga and its chemical derivative, ibogaine.

"Ibogaine is a ceremonial drug that's been used for centuries that comes from the bark of a shrub ... that is found in West Africa," she said. "What appears to happen after taking ibogaine: over a three day period they go into an internal experience, they appear to do a life review, and they appear to come out with no actual interest or need for illicit substances afterwards."

Ibogaine resets opioid receptors that flare during addiction

Dr Stephen Bright, from the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University said research into ibogaine was needed to investigate the drug's potential.

"The interesting thing about ibogaine is that it tends to reset the opioid receptors sites so that the person, that may be heroin dependant or dependant on another opiate, doesn't really go through a withdrawal period and their tolerance to the drug is reduced as if they had never used before," Dr Bright said.

He said the potential benefit of ibogaine stems from its ability to inspire a period of self-reflection.

"An integral component of ibogaine is not just the fact that it resets the opiate receptor sites, but the way in which it forces the person to reflect on how their drug use has impacted on their family and their community," he said.

Dr Bright said, while there have been reports of deaths as a result of taking ibogaine, these interactions occurred in a non-clinical setting.

"The problem is that is has an impact on the cardiovascular system," he said.

Despite this, Dr Bright said the benefits outweigh the potential risk.

"If screening is conducted and we determine that the person doesn't have any pre-existing cardiovascular disorders, then it's unlikely to have a risk that would outweigh the benefit of potentially trialing it."

Government funding needed for research

"In the 60s, experimentation with iboga and ibogaine began in the US as a potential treatment for opiate addiction and it continues to be used in some countries like Mexico and Canada, where they administer the actual chemical contained in the plant in a controlled clinical setting."

But Dr Bright said there have not yet been any randomised trials of the drug, so research was needed to understand it.

"Ibogaine is actually a Schedule 4 drug in Australia, so it can be prescribed by a doctor," he said. "All that research would require is for somebody to apply for a research grant to conduct a randomized control trial of the trial, engage with a university pharmacy to manufacture the drug, and involve a GP who would be able to prescribe the drug as part of the therapy that's being provided."

Dr Bright said research in an Australian context would be quite easy, but the current barrier is the inability for drug companies to patent the plant.

"Because it comes from a plant, pharmaceutical companies don't have a vested interest in pursuing the effectiveness of this drug because they're unable to make profits from the use of this drug," he said, "the result being that the only research that's like to happen is that which is Government-funded."

Like Ms Gregory, Dr Bright has called on the Federal Government to investigate ibogaine as a potential drug treatment.

"There's an opportunity here for Government funding to investigate a treatment that isn't going to be investigated otherwise."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-1...trials/7173236

Blog Entries

Ibogaine has been given in regimens of small daily doses of 25 mg to 300 mgs/day and in small daily doses where the dose is increased on a daily basis until the desired interruption of drug dependence is accomplished.

These low dose modalities can be traced back some decades to the work of Leo Zeff who in the case of a single patient provided ibogaine on an "as needed" basis via nasal administration to a cocaine dependent patient to substitute for his cocaine use. Lines of ibogaine were somewhat equivalent to lines of cocaine, and the patient ceased cocaine after a week of this daily self-regulated ibogaine regimen. Additionally, reports from Canadian sources indicate multi-week low dose ibogaine therapy 20 mg/day following a therapeutic dose of ibogaine in the treatment of cocaine dependence. Further, reports throughout the ibogaine provider community indicate the use of multiple dosing of varying strength doses over varying time periods in the treatment of opioid dependence. As with all determinations in medicine, decisions must be made based on observations of the patient and knowledge of the disorder(s) and the medication(s) used.

"Manual for Ibogaine Therapy Screening, Safety, Monitoring & Aftercare" by Howard S. Lotsof & Boaz Wachtel

http://ibogainedossier.com/manual.html

-----

"I agree with your hypothesis about the amphetamine and ibogaine contraindication. I personally won't administer ibogaine to anyone who hasn't stopped amphetamine use completely for at least 5 days (and preferably longer) as it can be strongly potentiated by ibogaine and may cause varying complications physically, psychologically and emotionally. I equate it to them having a nasty duel inside your head that is not fun."

http://www.mindvox.com/pipermail/ibo...ly/031418.html

-----

There are 3 main options for ibogaine treatment (all after a small test dose)

– single administration of 1 high dose ibogaine (with booster doses over the next few days/weeks if needed)
    – single day/night of administration of multiple large doses spaced out by a few hours (with booster doses over the next few days/weeks as needed)
    – small daily doses of 25-300 mg/day, where the dose is gradually increased each day until it is felt to have been effective for eliminating WDs/cravings (this one can be modified
    quite a bit)

http://www.dialogue.space/ibogaine-help-and-advice/

-----

I'm not sure what antidepressants your friend is on, but it is a very good idea to completely detox from those before doing a treatment.

Personally, I ate small doses of Iboga (around 1g bark) a week before flooding, and received many of the typical benefits (extreme mental and physical calmness, vivid memory recall, personal insight, brain massage feelings, tracers, reduced appetite for food and sleep, changed habits, etc) all just from daily doses before flooding. I think they are a viable option for someone who is looking for personal development and insight, especially if they have any health concerns. Flooding does offer a unique transformation, but small daily doses are very powerful in and of themselves. Taking small doses before or even in place of a flood is definitely an option.

10 grams of quality bark is a strong experience for some people. I think there is pretty extreme variation in people's sensitivity that things like gender and body weight don't account for. Usually people who have never eaten iboga are very sensitive at first. Generally this is not considered a strong enough dose to get a full reset and break strong opiate addictions.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...etamine/page2]

-----

You don't really need an EKG. Having it would be nice, though, if you can afford it. I just sat for two people's flood on Sunday. They both flooded on 16 grams of root bark. One had a prepared TA extract, and the other had straight root bark. Both had an awesome experience. 10 grams of root bark is a very good dose, if it's good root. All the people I know started
    to flood at around the same dose. I have yet to meet the person who is hypersensitive to Eboka. I do know they exist.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...hetamine/page2

-----

Yes, small doses of Iboga are beneficial too, if for example, one would like to deal just with the cravings.

Not really sure though if Dr Mash`s theory of the effect of ibogaine metabolite (nor-ibogaine) staying long in the body really explains ibogaine`s long-term effects. It`s possible to take 200mg of Ibo HCl a week, or up to 50 mg a day...it`s very individual. Just don`t try the row powder from the iboga root - it's very harsh, with very little effect.

http://archive.li/PMNzW

-----

My big bright idea, is to dose on opiates/opioids, and then take iboga root...but take a VERY small dose of iboga alkaloids, on a daily basis. and see if over time the iboga creates a potentiation of the opiate dose, allowing for reduction of the daily amount of opiates being used. I know one hypothesis is that the long lasting iboga metabolites cause part of the reduction/abolishment of opiate withdrawal...my idea hinges on this hypothesis. The idea that a large dose might be stretched out over a multitude of days and still create an active metabolite that has therapeutic value may appeal to people who feel they are not ready for a full-blown "flood" dose.

-----

Buy iboga root powder and take it slow....small doses, and give yourself a week for recovery.

What I am really interested in seeing is whether it can help a person slowly ween off of opiates. I've taken small doses of the alkaloid from other plant preparations other than tabernanthe and felt some slight stimulation.

I hope to explore the plant in the future, but I am not going to pay a clinic. A hotel room and a package ordered from the right company is all I need.

I read one account of people using trachelospermum jasminoide plant parts, (available as a chinese medicinal) as a way to slowly ween off of opiates, purportedly using the small amount of ibogaine presumably present in the plant for a building of resistance to opiate withdrawl symptoms over time.

Another species of plant, tabernaemontana crassa (t. africana) can supposedly contain larger amounts of ibogaine and ibogaine-like compounds, and may be another potential candidate for "low dose ibogaine therapy."

Both of the above species could be quite toxic, much like the iboga plant. The jasmine bush listed above contains a compound (I cannot remember the name of) that can cause respiratory depression.

-----

Ibogaine ataxia and involuntary muscle movements induced by small daily doses interacting with other meds

I am posting this to the list in case anyone else may have had experience in this area and that hasn't posted it, and as an alert to others in case they see something like what I am about to describe develop. A client has been taking very small doses of ibogaine hcl (10-mg) once daily for approximately one month, to build up their nor-ibogaine levels so as to reduce tolerance to prescription pain medications.

At the time the following symptoms emerged, the medication list included dilaudid (16mg q.i.d.), morphine sulfate (10mg as needed for breakthrough pain, about 3-4x daily), amphetamine (30-mg as needed to combat drowsiness of narcotics), Naprelan (Naprosyn extended release for mild arthritis), and Clonazepam (2-mg b.i.d.). A one-day trial of Trileptol (one dose) was initiated to possibly reduce the neuropathic pain being treated by the narcotics, but since this just made the client excessively sleepy it was not continued.

The client had not taken any amphetamine for approximately 2 weeks after initiating the ibogaine. About 4 days after initiating a small amount of amphetamine, the client developed involuntary muscle movements affecting the limbs and face. This included facial grimacing and eye rolling, as well as ataxia and loss of balance, including involuntary leg movements (bending at the knee and raising of the legs behind), arm movements, and sudden leg movements both forward and backwards. Since these movements were involuntary and obviously neurologically induced, the ibogaine was discontinued, as was the amphetamine and Naprelan.

About 24 hours after discontinuing the ibogaine, the client went into a 36 hour sleep and upon awakening, all of the involuntary movements had discontinued, and normal gait and balance were restored. The patient had previously been on all the above mediations, except Naprelan, at various times over the past year, with no involuntary motor movements having been noted prior to the initiation of ibogaine.

These symptoms took some time to emerge (3-4 weeks) on the low dose of ibogaine (10-mg), suggesting that it was the gradually increasing levels of the nor-ibogaine metabolite that were likely the causal factor in interacting with the other medications. I remain uncertain as to what the causal factors were, or which of the medications were the likely candidates interacting with the ibogaine/nor-ibogaine to elicit this reaction (though I suspect the amphetamine). Anyone using small dosages of ibogaine to reduce tolerance should be mindful that interactions with other medications could result in unexpected reactions.

http://www.mindvox.com/pipermail/ibo...ly/031408.html

----

Ibogaine blocks cravings and withdrawal symptoms for many types of drugs, opiates in particular.

"Its effects are pretty dramatic," says Dr. Kenneth Alper, an associate professor of psychiatry at New York University who specializes in addiction research. "I've observed this firsthand, and it's difficult to account for."

Dr Alper was among the attendees who gave a presentation on the benefits of ibogaine to the Catalan Ministry of Health. Dr Alper believes ibogaine's most likely path to prominence in the United States will be as a medication for meth addiction, for the simple reason that doctors and treatment providers have found that small daily—and thus drug-company-friendly—doses seem to work better for meth addiction than the mind-blowing "flood doses" used on opiate addicts. Alper says no one thought to try non-hallucinogenic quantities of ibogaine until recently. Ibogaine treatment providers tend to have been former ibogaine users, and most assumed that the introspection brought on by tripping was key to overcoming their addictions. "That's just how it evolved," he says, noting that the large doses do seem to work best for opiate detox.

"You're talking about a drug that has been used in less than 10,000 people in the world in terms of treatment. It's not surprising that's how it evolved. The visions have some psychological content that is salient and meaningful," Alper adds. "On the other hand, there is no successful treatment for addiction that's not interpreted as a spiritual transformation by the people who use it. It's the G-word. It's God. We as physicians don't venture into that territory, but most people do."

Recently Wilkins has been experimenting with small daily doses of ibogaine for people with heart conditions or other health problems that make the "flood dose" unadvisable. The non-hallucinogenic regimen seems successful, she says, citing the case of Ron Price, the former bodybuilder, in particular. Price first came to Tijuana for ibogaine in 1996 and has been back six times, including his October stay. "Every time I feel like I'm getting out of control, I come here," he says, his voice a gruff mumble. "The very first time, I had a bit of visuals. It's supposed to take six months to get off methadone. With this it was one day. It was incredible. I haven't had a craving for methadone since then."

That first time, Price took a "flood dose," enough to keep him tripping for hours on end. During this stay, Wilkins started him off with a tiny dose and gradually increased the amount he ingested each day. At the same time, she was weaning him off Oxycontin.

"We reduced your Oxy dose from 240 milligrams to 120 milligrams, in what, two weeks? That's great!" she says encouragingly. "He was fantastic," she adds proudly. "He developed a routine in his day. He was getting up and watering the garden, and not staying in bed and watching TV. He was walking the dog and wanting to go out—he was eager to go home, not scared."

Now, seated at the kitchen table, Price reflects on what has been most helpful during his time in Mexico. The ibogaine lessened his cravings for drugs and alcohol, he says, but eventually the effect will wear off. "It's no magic thing," he says pensively.

"It's creating good habits and creating a support system. Ibogaine strips you of the cells and walls you build up for yourself. It allows you to go AA meetings — which I'll do when I get home. At least it gives you a fighting chance to make your own decision."

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/hom...129/story.html
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 10-26-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A couple of links in your most recent post aren't working--the ones from mindvox and webcache.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Blog Entries

Thanks, agate! I just discovered BT Forum is truncating these links, so I'll be enclosing them in quotes from now on. Please copy and paste them into your browser (without quotes) going forward. :)

Blog Entries

New meth surge gathers momentum

By Christine Vestal

The opioid epidemic has killed tens of thousands over the last two years and driven major reforms in state and local law enforcement and public health policies for people with addiction.

But another deadly but popular drug, methamphetamine, also has been surging in many parts of the country. And federal officials say that, based on what they learned as opioids swept the U.S., methamphetamine is likely to spread even further.

“The beginning of the opioid epidemic was 2000 and we thought it was just localized,” said Kimberly Johnson, director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). “Now we know that drug outbreaks aren’t likely to stay localized so we can start addressing them sooner and letting other states know of the potential for it spreading.”

From Arizona, New Mexico and Oklahoma to Montana, Wisconsin and Minnesota and all across the South, inexpensive methamphetamine is flowing in from Mexico, fueling what police and epidemiologists say is an alarming increase in the number of people using the drug, and dying from it.

Nationwide, regular use of the inexpensive and widely available illicit stimulant increased from 3 to 4 percent of the population between 2010 and 2015, according to SAMHSA. At the same time, heroin use shot from 1 to 2 percent of the population.

The number of people using methamphetamine, also known as meth, crystal meth, crystal, crank, ice and speed, has been among the highest of any illicit substance for decades. But despite the stimulant’s harmful long-term effects on the body — including rotting teeth, heart and kidney failure, and skin lesions — its overdose potential is much lower than prescription painkillers and other opioids.

Still, overdose deaths from methamphetamine have spiked recently.

In 2014, roughly 3,700 Americans died from drug overdoses involving methamphetamine, more than double the 2010 number, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2015, the most recent year for which federal data are available, nearly 4,900 meth users died of an overdose, a 30 percent jump in one year.

Early Warnings

In Oklahoma, methamphetamine was involved in 328 overdose deaths last year, a sharp climb from 271 in 2015, and more than the combined deaths from prescription painkillers hydrocodone and oxycodone, according to Mark Woodward, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Narcotics Bureau.

"In contrast to the last epidemic, which began in the 1990s, rural meth labs are now a rarity and the fires and explosions that captured headlines back then are practically nonexistent today," Woodward said. “So a lot of people thought if meth labs are down, meth use is down.”

“But so much is coming in from Mexico, and it’s just as good as the domestic cooked product,” he said. “Why risk leaving a paper trail at a pharmacy when you have a buddy coming up from El Paso tonight with a cheap supply?”

The majority of methamphetamine is now smuggled across the Southwest border, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s 2016 National Drug Threat Assessment Summary. Its purity is high and its street price is relatively low, much cheaper than heroin. “While the current opioid crisis has deservedly garnered significant attention, the methamphetamine threat has remained prevalent,” the report warns.

Minnesota, a hot spot during the last methamphetamine epidemic, is experiencing a surge in admissions for treatment of methamphetamine addiction, according to the state Human Services Department.

In the upper Midwest and much of the rest of the country, 2005 was the peak year for methamphetamine use. After that, federal and state laws restricting the sale of an essential ingredient in methamphetamine, the over-the-counter cold medicine pseudoephedrine, led to a sharp decrease in U.S. meth labs.

As more meth started coming in from Mexico, the number of people seeking treatment began creeping up again and began to surge in many places in 2015. Last year, nearly 11,600 meth users were admitted for treatment in Minnesota, according to state data — a significant increase over the 6,700 who sought treatment for methamphetamine addiction in 2005.

Methamphetamine is also showing up in places that never experienced an earlier epidemic.

“What we’re seeing is that the use of methamphetamines has recently moved out of trailer parks and rural areas and into inner cities,” said Ken Roy, medical director of a major treatment facility, Addiction Recovery Resources, in New Orleans. “We’re seeing a lot of heroin addicts that also use methamphetamines. It used to be the only way we got meth patients was when they came to the hospital from rural areas,” Roy said.

Different Drugs

Opioid users experience a dreamlike state and typically nod off. But methamphetamine produces an entirely different high. Users experience a sense of elation and hypervigilance, and often become paranoid and aggressive. “They may binge on meth for days without eating or sleeping, and they often start seeing things that aren’t there,” said Carol Falkowski, an addiction expert in Minnesota.

Death from a methamphetamine overdose is also very different from an opioid death. With opioids, which affect the part of the brain that controls breathing, high enough doses can shut down respiratory functions, quickly causing death.

With methamphetamine, death is typically caused by a stroke or heart attack, and is characterized by extreme sweating as the body overheats prior to death. Because methamphetamine represents a lower risk of overdose, many use it for decades, which often results in gradual organ failure and death. Those deaths are typically not counted in the overdose statistics.

Likewise, treatment for addiction to methamphetamine is different than for opioids. No FDA-approved medications exist to stop the cravings for methamphetamine, whereas three effective drugs are available to help people recover from opioid addiction.

As a result, methamphetamine treatment primarily consists of outpatient therapy, often after a brief stay in a residential facility. People who stop using methamphetamine do not suffer the severe withdrawal symptoms such as the vomiting, muscle pain and other flu-like symptoms suffered by opioid users. But they do tend to become immobilized, sleeping a lot and binge eating, as well as suffering from severe depression, anxiety and drug cravings.

Falkowski said that during the last methamphetamine epidemic, there was more emphasis on the way people behaved when using meth for long periods of time, and the threat they posed to public safety.

Health officials in places like Minnesota and Oklahoma say the health care providers who helped legions of people overcome methamphetamine addiction during the last epidemic are prepared for a new onslaught. But Johnson, the SAMHSA director, cautioned that the addiction treatment workforce has not grown in proportion to the growth in overall drug use since then.

"Tackling a new meth addiction wave on top of an opioid epidemic could strain the nation’s health care system," she said. “I don’t think what we’ve done to scale up access to treatment for opioid disorders is going to be that helpful for methamphetamine.”

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research...thers-momentum

-----

Is Kratom a cure for meth addiction?

You know what khat is, right? Well kratom is like that: a mild, leaf-shaped stimulant that gives you a barely noticeable buzz if you chew it for long enough. Both stimulants have also attracted the ire of politicians—while Home Secretary Theresa May has promised to ban khat from Britain soon, kratom has been outlawed in Thailand for the past 70 years. But recently the Thai Minister for Justice, Pradit Sintavanarong, announced that he wants the kratom leaf removed from the country's illicit drugs list. He claims it could help wean addicts off harder stimulants, like methamphetamine.

Meth has been a big deal in Thailand for the last decade or so. It's most commonly taken in a concoction known as yaba—a blend of meth and caffeine which comes in pill form that the Nazis invented to keep their soldiers marching for days. Today, the authorities estimate that nearly one in every 60 Thai citizens is a methamphetamine user. Last year, shocking new reports claimed that nearly 7,000 children—kids aged from as young as seven up to 17—had been rehabilitated for meth use within the first half of 2012 alone, while this year it emerged that yaba producers are trying to sell the drug to kids over Facebook. So now might not be a bad time to consider some new ways to tackle all that.

However, not everyone is going to support the legalization of kratom. While generally its ban has been vigourously enforced, over the past few years Thai youths have found a new way to get high on kratom. They've started turning up onto something they call 4x100—a cocktail of kratom, cola, and cough syrup that is like a Thai version of sizzurp. Since then, police interest in the plant has increased, with authorities setting up sting operations in a bid to catch traffickers and raiding jungles for the plant.

Of course, where there's a drug epidemic, there's a moralizing media ready to expound on the various ways in which it's aiding the death of civil society. And that's exactly what the Thai media did.

The country's humid south is the perfect environment for the kratom plant to flourish. Unfortunately, it has also been plagued by a violent Islamist insurgency for over a decade, and local newspapers began trying to find ways to link these two things together. Some media outlets have declared that the insurgency was being funded by kratom trafficking. Militants were downing mugs of 4x100 before shooting Buddhist monks and bombing coffee shops in a bid to turn southern Thailand into the world's newest Islamic state, like Indochinese berserkers.

Pascal Tanguay, a representative for the NGO Harm Reduction International, told me that the possibility of insurgents getting all riled up on 4x100 before murdering people was unlikely. "The media here has done a very good job of associating kratom with these insurgencies, but there isn’t any real evidence of it happening," he said. "The people I talked to in the south—both religious leaders and drug users—all said the same thing: If you want to be an insurgent, you have to be off drugs. They have a very strict recruitment policy and they never allow people in who are on drugs, because they feel that it distracts them from the ultimate goal: Their revolution."

Although the reports are likely to be fabricated, the idea of making the illegal element of this supposed jihad juice available over the counter isn't likely to go down well with everyone. But trusting their media implicitly is far more likely to cause them more day-to-day damage than any AK-wielding, lean-sipping Islamist camped out somewhere in the Narathiwat jungles.

Pascal explained how the media's demonization of kratom has allowed police to encroach on Thai citizens' privacy: "The police like associating kratom with terror because then they can use anti-terror legislation to search people," he told me. "I've heard of them acquiring a warrant to search a house just because there's a kratom tree in the garden."

In fact, Pascal claims, the leaf can actually have its own specific health benefits: "It is very useful for controlling diabetes," he told me. "I met a lot of people in the south who had diabetes and weren't using any insulin. They were regulating their sugar and insulin purely with kratom leaves and kratom tea."

The exact benefits of kratom have been hard to gauge as the leaves that researchers are able to get hold of have usually dried out and lost any of the alkaloids necessary for experimentation. Pascal told me, "I met a PhD student in the south who said that he can’t finish his thesis, because in order to do so he would have to become a criminal to get hold of kratom leaves. The ones he gets to use just aren’t good enough. The government doesn’t give a **** about it at the moment and just puts money in the hands of criminal gangs by banning it. Hopefully that will change soon."

The leaf was originally banned to keep drug money in the hands of the government. "Kratom was only banned in Thailand because, at the time, the government was still involved in the opium trade and it was a big source of income," Pascal explained. "They didn’t want addicts using kratom to get off opium, so they banned it to protect their revenue."

Though the leaf has history as an effective rehabilitation aid, proving the positive qualities of illegal drugs hasn't always been a surefire way of convincing ministers to decriminalize them. It appears Sintavanarong may currently be running up against the same kind of problems that western scientists touting the useful medicinal qualities of drugs like ecstasy and LSD have encountered. At the time of writing, the justice minister is still waiting to hear from the narcotics control committee on whether they will remove kratom from the restricted drugs list.

There were efforts to decriminalize the drug in both 2004 and 2009, but according to Boonchai Somboonsuk—the Thai FDA chief—those cases are now void in light of the many changes and developments since 2009. And by "changes and developments," I assume he meant an increase in the meth consumption already ravaging a great deal of the Thai population, all of whom are in desperate need of something to help combat their addictions.

The United States's news headlines recently mentioned both meth and kratom, and scientists looking into opiate withdrawal drugs have been testing the leaf's use as a cheaper, natural alternative to more expensive synthetic medication like methadone. Unfortunately for those scientists—and any heroin addicts who don't want to be heroin addicts any more—kratom has already been called "America's next big drug scare" and plenty of media sources and legislators are fretting about it, putting it in danger of being criminalized and cutting off access to scientists currently studying the promising rehabilitation aid. In fact, the substance has been on the DEA's watchlist since 2004, it's already banned for minors in Louisiana and concerns are being raised by lawmakers in a number of other states.

Grant Smith, from the US Drug Policy Alliance told me, "The tendency of the government when a new drug comes out is just to ban it. They already banned 26 different compounds of synthetic drugs [legal highs] last year. That just lumps the responsibility on law enforcement and doesn’t help." Continuing, he said, “Drugs have always been a tender subject in the States. People panic about what they don’t understand, especially with something foreign, like kratom, coming from Asia. We would like to see things like this properly regulated by the government so producers can prove that they’re not harmful to people, but—at the moment—the DEA are just left to deal with it and they're already overstretched."

So while kratom may be saved by a progressive approach in Thailand, the War on Drugs might prevent research to help tackle meth addiction in the US. The key in both countries is to approach the potential for kratom as a rehabilitative drug with a degree of rational thought—ignoring the claims that it's making Islamists go nuts in Thai jungles—to help find a way to cure the meth epidemic blighting the two countries. Unfortunately, if the past is anything to go by, legislators' approach to drugs are normally anything but rational.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j...s-drug-addicts
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 11-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.