Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psychedelics and alcoholism

Distinguished Community Member Sherman Peabody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ketamine Psychedelic Therapy for alcohol dependence

by Evgeny M. Krupitsky & A. Ya. Grinenko

We carried out a controlled clinical trial on the efficacy of KPT. To determine the efficiency of the treatment, we collected follow-up information about all the patients who had taken
    part in this study a year after their discharge. According to data, abstinence of more than 1 year was observed in 73 out of 111 people who had undergone the KPT. Thirty people had relapsed. We could not obtain data on eight patients. In the control group of 100 patients whose treatment consisted only of conventional methods, only 24 patients remained sober for more than 1 year. Thus, the data from the follow-up study demonstrated that ketamine-assisted psychedelic therapy increases the efficacy of conventional alcoholism treatment.

Two-year follow-up data were collected for the 81 patients who had undergone the KPT. According to data, abstinence of more than 2 years was observed in 33 out of these 81 patients. 38 patients had relapsed. We could not obtain two-year follow-up data for 10 patients. Three-year follow-up data were collected for the 42 patients who had undergone KPT. According to data, abstinence of more than 3 years was observed in 14 out of these 42 patients. 24 patients had relapsed. We could not obtain three-year follow-up data for 4 patients. The two- and three-year follow-up data are also evidence of the high efficacy of KPT.

We have been working with KPT since 1985 and have already treated more than 1000 alcoholic patients with KPT without any complications like protracted psychoses, flashbacks, agitation, or ketamine abuse. So, KPT seems to be a safe and effective method of treatment for alcohol dependence. It seems to be an especially powerful tool in Russia, where there was no psychedelic "revolution" in the 60s, where almost nobody knows what "psychedelics" mean, where almost nobody can even imagine that these drugs can be used for recreation, and for fun, therefore in Russia KPT looks particularly unusual and powerful.

http://fll-italia.it/context.jsp?ID_...11254&area=279

-----

Can ketamine cure alcoholism?

A radical new therapy which uses the drug ketamine to wipe out booze-related memories could revolutionize how alcohol addiction is treated, scientists say. Researchers at University College London (UCL) are experimenting with a potential ketamine treatment to see if a single, one-off dose can treat the condition. They say there is growing evidence that ketamine, which is used as a recreational narcotic, can have a positive impact on those dealing with alcoholism.

“There is evidence that it could be useful as a treatment for alcoholism,” head researcher Ravi Das told the Guardian. "The drug could have the effect of suppressing memory triggers – clinking glasses, the sight of beer, arriving home after work – which create the urge to drink alcohol," he said.

“Memories that you form can be hijacked by drugs in some people. If you were an alcoholic you might have a strong memory of being in a certain place and wanting to drink. Those memories get continuously triggered by things in the environment that you can’t avoid,” Das said.

“The main problem is the really high relapse rate after treatment. People can successfully quit using over the short term while they’re being monitored in the hospital… but when they return home they’re exposed to those environmental triggers again,” he explained.

The trials at UCL will see researchers intentionally trigger alcohol-related memories by putting glasses of beer in front of heavy drinkers. The tests will involve 90 people, of which 50 have already been tested.

Andrew Misell, a spokesman for the charity Alcohol Concern, told the Guardian that although researchers had “quite rightly highlighted” that memory can be a key cause of relapse, there are already many effective therapies which do not involve drugs.

https://www.rt.com/uk/375010-radical...py-alcoholism/
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 11-25-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Distinguished Community Member Sherman Peabody's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi I have been reading bits and pieces of your posting and I wanted to say congratulations on your sobriety. My mother drank herself to death. She knew what she was doing. Suicide by alcohol. She had tried, two failed attempts one of which I was an unwitting accomplice, at 10yrs old Christina go get me a razor blade from...Suicide is considered a sin so she thought with alcohol she'd found a loophole. I didn't realize how bad things were until she passed in 2010 and I was left with her little purse calendar books that showed where she kept track of her drinking as far back as the early 80s.

I did my own stint in rehab. two years outpatient until I finally "got it". I went for crack. Thought I could quit crack yet keep doing the drugs and drinking. everything led to my doing crack so I quit it all, the drinking, LSD, pot everything. New Years day 2000 until early fall 2012 when I started using MMJ for pain. I have guilt for using it because my higher power helped me get clean and sober and I made a promise that I am breaking. Rehab can do this, the guilt. I am dealing with it, sort of. Though I have stopped going to church, I miss it. It fills me.
    So sorry to hear about your mum. Sometimes people just can't to go on. You have the power to forgive. Let me share this with you.

“To perceive again and this time it must be said, for all who read to know that no matter what, it is all with God. He is gracious and merciful. His way is in love, through which we all are. Wherever and whoever you are, always strive to follow and walk in the right path and ask for aid and assistance. Herein lies the ultimate and eternal happiness which is ours through His grace.”

John Coltrane

---

peace and love
    Last edited by Sherman Peabody; 11-25-2017 at 02:49 PM.

3. The following user says "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12