Thread: A post about battling brain fog and winning!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default A post about battling brain fog and winning!

I copied this from "Active MSers" . DAve is the fellow who hosts the site.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017
    Banish Cog Fog

This MS news will knock you off your feet.
    By the end of this blog post, some of you are really going to hate me. I won’t take it personally. After all, there is some good news with the bad news. Sorta like hearing that you get free hot dogs (yeah!) … but that you have to eat a dozen of them, buns and all, in ten minutes. Clearly, if your name is not Joey Chestnut (his record is 70), you might be in big trouble. And if you can manage to gag them all down, it’s gonna hurt bigly.

Long story short, last month more research was released investigating the benefits of high intensity interval training (HIIT) and multiple sclerosis. In the randomized clinical trial, MS researchers pitted high intensity cardio exercise (3x per week for 20 minutes with five 3-minute exercise intervals at 80% of peak oxygen uptake) against a traditional exercise program (5x per week for 30 minutes at a constant 65% effort).

Some of the results were predictable. Both parties, 60 MS volunteers in total, saw “significant” benefit with executive functions, even though the trial was only three weeks long. Fantastic! But then researchers found that the benefits of the two exercise programs diverged dramatically. Compared to conventional training, only HIIT “significantly improved verbal memory” among participants.

You're gonna have to sweat.
    (Additionally, “secondary outcomes indicated significant improvements in peak oxygen uptake—VO2-peak—and a significant reduction in matrix metalloproteinases—MMP-2” also in the HIIT group only. I would need to go to med school to find out exactly what this all means, but it sounds hella promising even if I don’t know how to pronounce it.)

How many approved medications are out there to improve cognitive performance in MS? Zero. How many dietary supplements have been shown to aid cognition in MSers? Zero. How many types of exercise routines have been shown—in study after study after study—to reduce cog fog in MS? One.

And this is where the total suckage of this post settles into focus. Brisk walking, cleaning your house, yoga, mowing your lawn, striding on your elliptical, Sunday bike rides with your kids, leisurely laps in the pool, even spirited bedroom escapades (go crazy, gang!) are all fine and dandy for your health and your MS. Do these activities. But unless you are seriously rocking the cardio, none of these efforts are going to significantly improve or protect your cognitive function with this disease.

Channel your favorite GOT bad ass.
    As most of you are aware, cognitive issues are among the most disabling of all MS symptoms (along with fatigue, which researchers have found may also decrease with HIIT, but that is for another post). Problems with memory, attention, comprehension, reasoning, decision making, and more can be devastating and not only can lead to a forced early retirement, but also can affect relationships, the ability to drive safely, or the capacity to follow all the characters and plotlines in Game of Thrones. (Okay, trying to put all the pieces together in GOT is mostly hopeless no matter how well your brain works…I just threw that in for a test.)

Now before you charge forward and embark on a serious HIIT routine, talk to your doctor or neuro first. Better yet, also see a trainer and get hands-on instruction. When you do this, you need to do it right. And know that it is not going to be easy, but at least each session is going to be over with fast.

Jump in with abandon. No regrets.
    Keeping your brain healthy is a big deal. No, a huge deal. Wait, wait, more of a HUGE FRIGGIN MEGA DEAL. And you have the power to do something about it, a rarity with this disease when many of our arrows, frustratingly, seem to fall just short. Take advantage of this opportunity. Don’t delay. Jump in and get started. You and that magnificent brain of yours will not regret it.
    Posted by Dave Bexfield at 9:54 AM
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Very interesting if one can do it - I don't know, but I think I might just keel over and die on first try.

Thanks for post Linda.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now before you charge forward and embark on a serious HIIT routine, talk to your doctor or neuro first. Better yet, also see a trainer and get hands-on instruction. When you do this, you need to do it right. And know that it is not going to be easy, but at least each session is going to be over with fast.
    Wonder what sort of thing you'd be doing exactly in those 3-minute sessions?

Maybe this?

https://greatist.com/fitness/cardio-...ight-exercises
    Last edited by agate; 09-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Cannot do any on the list...

I wonder how much better cog was. It was sig better than non interval trainers. But that doesn't mean it would be that noticeable. Example: let's say the scale is 0 to 100, and that pretraining all ppl were at 60%. After half trained and half did not, the trained ppl were an average of 66% while untrained averaged 60%,

In that example, the 10% improvement is likely statistically significant, i.e. Not due to chance. But clinically speaking the improvement is not sunstantial enough for those of us who are unable to train to feel badly about the lost opportunity to improve.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you, Bbs.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

BBS, I couldn't do any of those exercises in that link either. I'm not sure that those are like the exercises used in the training he's talking about but it's what came up when I tried to find "high intensity cardio exercise."

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

My thoughts on the subject.

First I do believe in exercise. [Even though I don't do it] Years ago it felt like every day was walking through fog. I signed up for an exercise class. It wiped me out but the fog cleared. But those were nearly hour sessions.

Second, I think you could start with one minute sessions (which at first will feel like forever) alternating with rest. Then gradually add speed, duration, and intensity. The ones in the link I would call expert level. Take a few and SIMPLIFY. After several weeks speed and intensity would increase, going from very mild cardio to at least moderate cardio. BTW I like arm circles. I didn't see them there but I'm sure they are cardio.???

Of course I'm far from being an expert and I might not know what I'm talking about.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Parsi, certain types of arm circles might be good cardio exercise but I definitely don't know much about it. If you look at what this Website has to say about arms, some exercises are described:

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/c...hair-6840.html

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

If it raises you ur heart rate, I think it can be seen as cardio.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"