Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing meds?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Managing meds?

If you're taking quite a few pills, how do you keep track of them?

For years I've been going through a once-a-week ritual of putting pills in their compartments in one of those plastic compartmentalized "medisets"--I think that's what they're called sometimes. Mine has 7 individual boxes, and each box has 4 compartments for 4 times of day--morning, noon, evening, bedtime. I take out each day's box and don't have to lug the whole week's supply around.

I found out in Consumer Reports (July) about another type of deal called Pill Pack and wonder if anyone knows about it. They are able to set up your nonrx meds (vitamins, etc.) too. If you needed a new rx soon, though, they recommend using a local pharmacy that could get it to you faster.

https://www.pillpack.com/

Apparently there's a square envelope containing pills and you rip it open. Might be easier to deal with?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I do mine pretty much like you do now. I have a daily container for night and one for morning. Once a week I fix them for the week and just keep them in the kitchen. It is not a problem for me to do that. I fix one other pill box for the week and keep it in my bedroom with a glass for water. That is my thyroid medication. I get up early and take it separately and before I take other medications or eat.

It is a pretty simple routine and I like it better than trusting someone to send me my medication through the mail. I do have the trouble of going to pharmacies and picking things up, but I had rather trust myself to do that than to depend on someone else who is out of town or out of state.

Other than that just being me and the way I am, I think it sounds like a good idea. As long as everything is done right all the time and is gotten to you all the time it probably is a good idea. I have two pills that I cut in half and a third one that I usually do, so might not be as handy for me.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

It's a good idea for those that are housebound. Quite a few jobs would be created from the folks needed to deliver meds. I don't think UPS or USPS could handle the extra load. Maybe create the UPDS, United Prescription Delivery Service.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I don't know Howie. A lot of people get their meds through mail order pharmacies already and they are delivered by the Post Office.

Agate, one thing they can't do is remind me to take them. I forgot my thyroid medication this morning and by the time I remembered it it was too late to take it. I try very hard not to do that, but it does happen.
    Virginia

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Virginia, it's good to know that service is available. I have all but one med on auto-fill, and that one I call in, and pick them all up at CVS on payday. As long as I can drive, getting my meds is pretty easy.
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I do the same -- set up my meds for the week in one of those pill containers. I take stuff just twice a day, morning and night, so it's pretty easy. The container is in my nightstand, I have a mug of water there, and when I get out of bed, take the morning pills, then before I go to bed, the evening (changing the water during the day when I do other dishes).
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I take 22 meds, most every day for MS, asthma, thyroid, and other ailments. It was five pills daily, until 2-3 years ago.

In addition to inhalers and liquid med, I have 5 pill weekly containers. I group the containers by type or time of day. It's so complex, that I carry a schedule with 9 time entries for the given day. Then, I check off that particular entry as a back up to be sure I know I took it.

I use my cellphone alarms to remind me of crucial meds. each group has its own ringtone.
    It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 09-13-2017 at 12:56 PM.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do the same -- set up my meds for the week in one of those pill containers. I take stuff just twice a day, morning and night, so it's pretty easy. The container is in my nightstand, I have a mug of water there, and when I get out of bed, take the morning pills, then before I go to bed, the evening (changing the water during the day when I do other dishes).
    I too have 3 pills that I take twice a day. Every 12 hours. They are on the counter and when I take them I turn each bottle upside down. At night I turn the bottles right side up when I take them. Turning them upside down lets me know if I remembered to take them.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

The techfidera comes to me from the comp, by mail. They call once/ month to see if I'm still on it, if all is well, then send it. The rest come by mail from my local pharmacy. I call to renew, they mail. If I call before 3 pm, it will arrive the next day. .otherwise it'll be two days. If I need it right away, they'll deliver. All.free ( except for copays). They have my credit card on file. They also order and send my colostomy supplies. They'll also call and ask about lapsed prescriptions....do we still need that, or have we switched to something else.

I only occasionally forget my meds, usually in the morning if I get up in a rush but then my legs start to spasm so I know, and take them. None are on such a rigid schedule that a few hours.Will matter.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

I take quite a few pills (23 per day) and I take meds bid.

I got a 1 week pill box with 4 containers per day (AM, NOON, PM, BED).

I count out pills and put two weeks worth of pills in the box.
    AM and NOON for the first week and PM and BED for the second week.

This allows me to keep track of whether or not I missed a dose and I only have to count out pills once every two weeks.

I can see when I'm running short and call in for a refill while I still have two weeks worth on hand.
    Last edited by howdydave; 09-16-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast