Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to help someone with anxiety/panic attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to help someone with anxiety/panic attack?

So someone I know started having an anxiety attack while I was speaking with them. I asked them how I could help and did as instructed. The person seemed to feel bad about me witnessing this, like they were being a bad friend etc. How do I reassure them further during and after the attack that I don't mind seeing it and everything is okay???
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

funnylegs ,

to me, it was always embarrassing having a panic attack, although most of the time i managed to leave the place i was having the attack before anyone could see me. it was like losing control, looking like someone with a mental illness, which now that i think about it, was exactly what it was. i don't know how your friend feels exactly, but you're picking up some normal feelings that panic attack victims have.

i don't know how close you are to this person or how close you want to become. maybe your own words written on a card would be less intense than a face to face conversation. something like, "we all have problems, but that doesn't define us." or something light and short. maybe in a month, you can ask your friend if they'd like to have a cup of tea or coffee. if they open up, great. if not, don't force it.

definitely a card, maybe coffee. it just depends how involved you want to get.

jeannie
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Originally posted by tic chick View Post
      funnylegs ,

to me, it was always embarrassing having a panic attack, although most of the time i managed to leave the place i was having the attack before anyone could see me. it was like losing control, looking like someone with a mental illness, which now that i think about it, was exactly what it was. i don't know how your friend feels exactly, but you're picking up some normal feelings that panic attack victims have.

i don't know how close you are to this person or how close you want to become. maybe your own words written on a card would be less intense than a face to face conversation. something like, "we all have problems, but that doesn't define us." or something light and short. maybe in a month, you can ask your friend if they'd like to have a cup of tea or coffee. if they open up, great. if not, don't force it.

definitely a card, maybe coffee. it just depends how involved you want to get.

jeannie
      I'v known this person for awhile. I wrote them a note and they seemed to appreciate it! Thanks for the suggestion!
      Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-06-2017, 09:11 PM.
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Working...
      X