Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

We are home. There was some damage, minimal. Lots of debris.

Picture this: you leave airport and traffic lights are out on US1....we thought, no way we will have power. These are sizable cities with no power...we get to our town 25. minutes later,

we then are driving down our quarter mile long heavily wooded dirt drive, and, do my eyes deceive me? There were two power trucks and a few men cutting down branches, and working on restringing wires for the 3 secluded homes, holy smokes.

I stumbled out of the car, clearly disabled, staggered up to a fella and thanked him and asked if he would ring my doorbell when he thinks power is on, to be sure. 2 hours later power came on and he rang my bell. I am so grateful for power.

So much physical to do now. Waiting for house to cool. It was up to 83. Tomorrow will clean out fridge, go to grocery store since we lost all in fridge and freezer. A little bit more each day. So frustrating to be so impaired.this SPS is awful. DH back to work tomorrow.

Will receive MMJ Friday and infusion Monday.

Jeanie I hope you get power back soon!

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

The restoration of power seems so erratic...some folks have it, some don't, all in the same neighborhood!

I was just watching TV -- nursing home in Homewood (?) Florida -- 6 people dead, 100+ evacuated to hospitals and other nursing homes -- power went out, apparently generators went out, temperature inside was 110 degrees. Criminal charges are being prepared against staff. Another nursing home is being evacuated "as a precaution"....
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I read that too. This seems like elder abuse , callous neglect. Maybe murder. Waiting for investigation.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Worried about Jeanie, but I bet Andy is on top of it.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) My neighborhood has been one of the last to get power in previous hurricanes. The houses across the street had power three days before me. I am moving very little and sitting in front of the fan. Andy got more gas and he will keep the generator going until I get power. He has no power at his place. My van is putting out hot air and I just paid for the AC to be gassed. The AC at dinner was nice and we hated to have to leave.

BBS I am glad you did not have too much damage. Jeanie :)

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

The FPL said all east coast will have power by end of Sunday.
    Jeanie, my house is usually last in town for power. Not this time. Maybe you will get lucky...

Go to https://www.fpl.com/
    Then, scroll down to report outage.
    I did this from Atlanta , maybe it's why they came? When you enter the report the screen thanks you and says they made out a repair ticket for you.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 09-13-2017 at 04:05 PM.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Smile

:) I went on the site but it would not let me register. So I called the 800 number. Andy came and put a room air conditioner in my bedroom window, so hopefully I will sleep comfortable. My van AC is blowing hot air, so no going out there to cool off.

5 days so far and it is getting old. I wish Andy did not have to do so much to keep me going. I took a shower in cold water and it made the hot water heater empty more water on the floor. Jim will come next week and try to fix it.

It is so hot in the computer room (88 degrees) that I put off coming in here. Jeanie :)

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Aw geez. I didn't have to register. I just had to put in my address and the phone number on my account.

Would it be better to stay at Andys for the duration? Better for both of you?
    88 is too hot.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Smile

:) Andy has no power either. He does have hot water as his is gas. I saw a power truck go down our street and the houses across from me have power now. We did not get it for 3 days after the houses across the street in past hurricanes. Jeanie :)

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Jeanie)))))) ~

Call the power company or have Andy call, and tell them your age and that you have MS and that you need power restored immediately as it is affecting your health. You have special medical needs, and you should have power before your neighbors, who don't have those needs. If FPL doesn't know about your needs, they'll just continue on with their grid plan. You need power NOW!

I'm very concerned about you suffering in the heat and humidity. Are you staying well hydrated?

Many prayers for your power to be restored immediately.

((((((BBS)))))) ~

I'm so happy for you that you do have power. It must be overwhelming trying to get everything sorted and back in place in the midst of all that is around you. I hope you will take your time and rest a lot.

Continuing prayers for all affected by Harvey and Irma ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast