Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Jeanie)))))) ~

I can certainly understand that going to a motel/hotel would be a challenge for you with your scooter and Lacy. And I would feel better if you were not alone, regardless of whether you stay at home or go to a motel/hotel. Is there any way that Andy or Jim or a neighbor or friend could stay with you to ride out the storm?

Agate suggested battery operated fans. I agree! We bought several to use during power outages. They aren't too expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You'll probably need D batteries (that's what our fans use).

And extra, fresh batteries for your flashlights. And plenty of food you can eat without cooking it ~ fruits and veggies, peanut butter, bread, crackers, etc.

It's great that you have a generator, but what if it's impossible to drive in the hurricane to get to you to add gas to it in 12 hours? I would guess that gas will run short before too long based on demand. So, you'll need to have extra gas before Irma hits.

What about flooding? That seems to be the most devastating part of Harvey. Are you all at risk for flooding?

Just worried about you and want you to be safe and not alone during Irma.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Rose I am okay with being alone. Even if the generator quits I have flashlights and would just nap a lot. I have canned goods and crackers and frozen mangoes. We have never flooded and I have been in this house since 1964. Water came up part way once when we had flooding rains but my house sits high. I am really never alone as the Lord is always here. Just say a prayer for me. Jeanie :)

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Sam has already called and made a reservation at a local motel....for one....she didn't even mention me!
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, did you tell her you would wear something other than a thong? I think she might be worried that she couldn't get you in. At least she is looking out for herself.
    Virginia

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least she is looking out for herself.
    Oh yeah, how unusual of her!
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Howie, ummm, you might mention to Sam that she's not under a hurricane warning...or is her hotel reservation to take a short break from YOU?

Stay safe, Jeanie and BBS! Jeanie, make sure you have a cellphone on you so you're able to csll for help if needed. Have your emergency contact info handy for yourself too, you don't want to have to be scrambling to locate important phone numbers. Have a plan in place for what you'll do with Lacey if you need to evacuate - do you have 'essential' kits, including meds, packed for both of you, if needed?

Maybe let the local MS Society or MSAA know you're sheltering in place and that you are scooter-dependent and what meds you may need. Do you have extra LDN packed since you're not likely to be able to get an rx for it if you are evacuated without it?

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Am thinking Tampa is a no go, current track goes up middle of state as a major hurricane. As soon as DH wakes up, will discuss flying out of here to stay with family member. Infusion next Thursday. Hope to not miss that. Roads may or may not be impassible ....based on experience with hurricane Jeanne in 2004, roads impassable for a week.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

This has just been upgraded (downgraded?) to a CATEGORY 5. 175 mile/hour winds. This is one ugly storm. Looks like it will be aimed for south Florida for sure, and may then move in to the gulf. Not a good thing. I'd be heading north by now.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Andy was just here and took 4 five gallon cans and filled them with gas. Both sons say I can stay with them if I lose power and they don't. I also have all the hurricane stuff which stays ready, extra batteries, water, meds, etc.

We have never lost water in the past and probably not this one either, but I filled several containers just in case. I have plenty of dog food. If we lose power I may be giving away frozen mangoes.

Andy says the stores are a zoo. I will wait until tomorrow or Thursday to avoid the worst of it. I really have enough canned foods that I can get by but want to get a few fun foods and chicken for Lacy. Jeanie :)

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope you can get the provisions you need, Jeanie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ebfec7046539

My remaining SIL who is around 90 is in the Sarasota area. I thought she was too far north to be affected by this storm but the map shows that she'll probably be evacuated to wherever it is that her assisted living place takes people to.

They have regular drills there. The residents are all transported to another facility but I don't recall where it is.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast