Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Distinguished Community Member

Okay one taken care of - BBS and hubby will evac if they see it is necessary.

Now for second one - Jeanie please talk to sons. I know you have been fine through hurricanes, however there is always a first time for everything. You just do not need this at this stage of your life.
    Virginia

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Virginia.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Andy was here this morning to do my lawn. I mentioned that y'all thought I should go to his place and he said he'd be okay with that if I lose power. He lives in a townhouse with sliding glass doors both upstairs and downstairs but a lot of protective trees and fencing.

From the local reports they think we will just have a brush by. I hope they are right but they have been wrong many times. I appreciate everyone's concern and I will definitely do whatever it takes to keep me and Lacy safe. Even if I have to go to a motel. Jeanie :)

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

May I suggest you make hotel res now? You can cancel with 24 hrs notice and not be charged for many. If you wait, they'll be full. Seems like being with Andy is the best plan. He can look after you. After Jeanne, it wasn't possible to drive for days.

Latest models do not show a brush by. It comes aground in Miami and then comes up the coast, partly over land.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

May I suggest you make hotel res now? You can cancel with 24 hrs notice and not be charged for many. If you wait, they'll be full. Seems like being with Andy is the best plan. He can look after you. After Jeanne, it wasn't possible to drive for days.

Latest models do not show a brush by. It comes aground in Miami and then comes up the coast, partly over land, over your home and mine.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 09-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

All reports I can find suggest that the hurricane will pretty much impact all of Florida. Of course it could be "spent" by the time it decimates Cuba....but then it might strengthen over open water and come roaring in. Yes, I'd be making motel reservations now...you can always cancel later.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, how about assuming they'll be wrong about its being just a brushby this time and just getting yourself to a safer situation, even if it's a motel? I agree with Cat Dancer that you can always cancel later.

At least you'd have a spot reserved. Others may be signing up at motels with a similar idea if you wait too long.
    Last edited by agate; 09-04-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Still time Jeanie. I made my res west coast FL this afternoon with no problem. But, all the hotels in WPB would be as vulnerable as your home. I vote for move in with Andy.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Florida Governor Rick Scott has already declared a state of emergency pre-Irma's arrival:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...rico-caribbean

Where in Florida would you all be safest? I guess that would be difficult to predict, as hurricanes can change directions. But isn't it generally best to go inland?

Thinking of you and praying for your safety.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

:) Jim is coming tomorrow and set up the generator. All Andy will have to do is start it and add gas after 12 hours. Hopefully we will keep our electric. I feel safe staying here. If the power does go out I may go to Andy's though. I do not want to go to a hotel as it is hard in a scooter and with a dog. Even a hot house is better than that. I will for sure stay safe. Jeanie :)

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast