Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Jeanie)))))) ~

I echo what Agate said! If there is a silver lining (my mother always said there is to everything), then at least your water heater flood occurred before Irma hit.

So is the neighbor who helped with the shop vacuum staying too? I feel better about you staying, if other neighbors are too.

From the news I've been watching it seems that the concern is more about the storm surge than the winds. Of course, no one is downplaying the winds, just emphasizing that flooding is a great possibility.

Are you near the coast? Or further inland?

Gov. Scott said that "All Floridians should be prepared to evacuate." He also listed the assorted assistance being offered/provided to residents to evacuate.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fl...rticle/2633837

Continuing prayers for everyone in Irma's path.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, a more cynical bit of wisdom has it that every silver lining has its cloud...

But I agree that if Jeanie's hot water heater had to get dramatic, it was darned nice of it to do that before Irma got there.

I had the benefit of a shop vac a couple of years ago when my bedroom carpet was flooding because the next-door neighbor, who was a tad forgetful to put it mildly, had left her water running. Even though it was 11 at night, the maintenance tech came over with a shop vac and simply ran it around and sucked up the worst of the water. Probably saved the carpet and certainly eased my mind.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jeanie, fill your tub w water so you will have that to flush the toilet. In Katrina people filled any clean container w water for after.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) All my neighbors are staying home. I have phone numbers for several of them. One called me today and said if we lose power she has a gas stove and will send me a plate if she cooks a meal.

When her husband barbeques they always send me a plate and he makes wonderful BBQ.

The 5 o'clock report says Irma is moving more west and we are barely in the error cone. We will still get 80 or higher winds. That is good. Sunday afternoon and evening should be our worst time. The power company says they have plenty of people ready to work on restoring power.

Emergency personnel will not go out until the winds are below 35 mph. I have my ceiling fans on and the AC turned down to 74 so no mold comes from the water heater flood. I will add a blanket to the bed. Virginia I think will not get bad winds on this track. I will check in later if I have power. Jeanie :)

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Hard to fathom you had a water heater break? Maybe it was Gods sign you are to go stay with Andy. Seems like a clear sign.

Re phones, our phones didn't work for weeks after Jeanne in 04.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have not heard a weather forecast for our area in N.C. At one point last night it was coming right at us. However, I did see a map this evening and now that it has turned west a little, it looks like Tennessee is going to get it. I was hoping for us that at the point it got here it would have diminished a great deal and right now that is what I am hoping for Tennessee.

Usually, Hurricane winds diminish as they come inland, but the one that hit us in 1954 or 1955 got stronger after it came ashore. The one in 1966 did also. The winds were what Jeannie is talking about. They were 75 to 80 MPH. Everyone said it sounded like a freight train going through their houses. I was out of town. I came back about 4 days later to no power and it looked like a war zone. This was an awful looking place. One reason was because we had had a lot of rain prior to the hurricane and the ground was saturated, so trees just dropped like crazy. Tree people were gauging homeowners and all kind of bad things happening. I remember riding into some areas that if I had not known exactly where I was I would not have recognized these areas. It was enough to make me cry in some instances.

Jeanie, I doubt that you will have power for a very long time, but get to us as soon as you can.
    Last edited by Virginia; 09-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Virginia

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) It looks like it will be Sunday when we get the worst. Hopefully my power will stay on until then. All the shelters are full and they are asking for volunteers to open more. Also requesting bedding as many showed up with no bedding some elderly.

The shelters have the homeless and some on drugs and some have their stuff stolen if they go to the bathroom. I am so grateful not to have to be in one. Goodnight everyone. Jeanie :)

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I'm keeping everyone who could potentially be affected by this hurricane in my positive thoughts.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

A good site to see real time where it is, and on the right side, set it in motion.

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/AtlanticSatellite.aspx
    Last edited by Howie; 09-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    "Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon."

Frank Zappa

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Here is an updated analysis of Irma's impact on Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-forecast-path

Irma is a Cat 4 at this point, not likely to be downgraded when it hits Florida.

Prayers for everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast