Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS's "Informed Delivery"--sneak a peek at your incoming mail before you get it

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default USPS's "Informed Delivery"--sneak a peek at your incoming mail before you get it

The US Postal Service (USPS) sends me messages because I'm signed up on its Website, and today I received this news:

We are excited to announce that the My USPS application will soon be upgraded to offer you more benefits and convenience.No action is required from you - you will retain your My USPS benefits, but will also have access to Informed Delivery--a new, free feature that gives you the ability to see a digital preview of your incoming mail. Informed Delivery allows you to view grayscale images of the exterior, address side of your household’s letter-sized mailpieces* on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. This new feature offers the convenience of seeing what is coming to your mailbox - anytime, anywhere.

Now when you log in to your My USPS account, you will be able to track packages and view a preview of your letter-sized mailpieces in one, integrated dashboard. Your dashboard will display mailpiece images for a seven-day period; you can also opt to receive these images via email notification.
    This could be useful--or no?

If you're interested, you can find out more at https://www.usps.com/. Look for "Informed Delivery" there.
    Last edited by agate; 09-01-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

They should have done this a long time ago. Amazon does this, whoever is delivering. It's nice to know if you can go to the grocery store today, because you know something you ordered, will be coming on a certain day.
    "Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon."

Frank Zappa

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Guess when I am having a hard time walking to the mailbox, it might be useful to know if anything important is coming through. Otherwise, I am not sure I would think to look at it.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I signed up for it right away. It's been nice sometimes to track packages, and you can do that with UPS or FedEx or the US post office. This "Informed Delivery" should help when I need to know when I'm getting something important that I'm waiting for. It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

"Informed Delivery" doesn't let you know about catalogs or magazines or packages as I understand it.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

I chuckled the first time I ordered from Amazon. It sends you an email telling the arrive / depart time of the whole journey. The first tells you it has shipped, and the last one says, "it is on your front porch". I get up, walk to the front door, and there it was.

Frank Zappa

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I am wondering why they do this? What value it has? And how long have they been copying the outside of envelopes and are they storing that information.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I like that too. It makes me feel all secure and cozy-like, as if that package really exists out there.

You go to a store and pick out an item and from then on it's not out of your sight. You even watch as it's rung up and handed to you personally, and then you take it home. It's yours, all yours, all the time.

Picking out an item online (or from a mail-order catalog) is always uncertain until you actually get the package. It could go astray. They could lose your order.

The tracking system lets you know if your package is in Pierre, South Dakota, or some other place. I often wonder just what it's doing in these places but the ways of the postal service are mysterious.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I think it's mostly for their own protection if an item gets lost, they can pinpoint the last place that had it, and where it was headed next. A lost item has to be replaced at the expense of the last place that had it.

Frank Zappa

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I think I am talking envelopes and Howie and Agate are talking packages. I already can follow both USP and USPS packages.

It's the scan envelopes that's new. Do I have that right?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

You're absolutely right, ANN. The package tracking system is already in place. This additional and separate system is a way of finding out what letter-size items are on their way to us.

From the FAQ about "Informed Delivery":

Can I get an image of incoming packages via the Informed Delivery® notification?

No. All USPS® customers have access to USPS Tracking® that enables them to track their household’s packages. Visit My USPS® for additional details on personalized package tracking.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast