Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: OT September Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

And here I am with the AC running. Damn Yankees!
    Roswell was a gift.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm back after a 12-hour power outage here.This is the second time in the last couple of years that there's been a fairly long power failure on account of a vehicle hitting a utility pole. Somehow I had the impression most utility lines are now underground. Guess not.

It was 97' out yesterday, and so going out for a while to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine wasn't an option. I stayed put in my apartment and hoped it would be over soon. Dinner was a couple of cheese sticks and some V8 juice.I was able to play Solitaire on the iPad though there was no WiFi, and so I couldn't be online.

Virginia, I don't think I'd find a book to be very funny if its title is "The End of Your Life Book Club."

People here are nearing the end of their lives. My 95-year-old neighbor was talking about using candles during the outage but I told her I thought flashlights would be better. She has those too. Another lady is almost 90, one is 86, and so on. People that age can't take the heat well at all.

One woman who is on oxygen and rides a scooter was trapped on the first floor all night. She was on the first floor with her chihuahua when the power went out and couldn't get back up to the third floor where she lives. The elevator always shuts down of course.I believe she and her dog spent the night on the sofa in one of the common rooms.

Of course the managers are away till after the holiday but one of them actually came over here to see about the situation and sent a memo around.
    ((((((agate)))))) ~

Given that the residents where you live are elderly and disabled, I think your residence should be provided special assistance by the utility company and local police and fire departments. This would be the responsibility of the owner, I believe. But you and other residents can advocate for yourselves to get help during a 12 hour outage and heat wave.

I suggest:

Contact your power company. Inform them of the number of residents and ages/conditions among the residents. They should have a protocol to assist you all. Perhaps it would be focusing on restoring power to your facility first. Or it might be bringing a generator to the site to give you temporary electricity. Or maybe they would relocate you to a place/shelter, which is unaffected by the outage.

Contact your police and fire departments with the same information. Ask what services they could provide to you in a long outage. The woman, who couldn't get back up to her apartment, might have been able to return, if fire or police personnel carried her upstairs. At least they will know that you exist and are vulnerable in any kind of emergency or disaster and that your residence should be at the top of the list to be checked should one occur.

Perhaps you could also meet as a group with your owner/manager to discuss your needs during this kind of crisis. What is his liability if anything happens to any of you, as a result of an outage, fire, flood, etc.?

Also, you were right to advise residents to not use candles. If there is a gas leak ... well ... Along with flashlights, it's a good idea to have LED candles:

https://www.google.com/search?q=LED+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I hope you don't have any more outages or disasters of any kind, but if you do, it would be very beneficial to have help from utility and public services.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Ben Franklin

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

It's 82 degree here in the PNW. We have an off shore flow, which means that hot air from eastern Washington is made it over the mountains to the usually temperate side of the state. My a/c is running, keeping me a bit cooler.

My mom and grandma watch pro-golf, maybe I'll get a glimpse of Grayson sometime when I'm visiting.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jendie, good for Mom and Grandma - you know who to tell them to pull for now. His Mom was a "no show" for dinner tonight. She could not leave her TV set. I do not blame her.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, thank you so much for your valuable suggestions!

Whenever there's a power outage, I'm on the phone with the electric company trying to find out what's going on, and while I'm at it I let them know that I'm talking about a building with over 60 residents who are all elderly/disabled, many with special medical needs, and that we are susceptible to problems when it's too cold or too hot, in addition to being likely to fall because there's no light to see by.

I don't know if it makes any difference. There are monthly meetings here, conducted by the managers, who are hired by a company. The actual owner(s) of the building are a deep dark secret, known only to the company.

I'm guessing that this latest power outage will be a topic discussed at the next meeting in about a week. We've had these discussions before and are told that in case of a power outage, we're not to call the management (who are on duty here only on weekdays) because they can't do anything we can't do. We've been advised to go elsewhere or hunker down with a stockpile of flashlights and food that doesn't need cooking.

But the discussion needs to be reopened, definitely.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, these people, at least many of them could not get down stairs in the middle of the night, too risky I would think for many of them.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

We have regular monthly fire drills here, and have to sign a sheet showing that we've turned up at the fire drill location.

I understand that one reason for this is to make sure we can all get downstairs in case of fire. If people aren't reporting for the fire drills, they are supposedly told they'll need to move to the first floor or move out. However, I believe many on the upper floors really couldn't get down the stairs--and perhaps get away with riding the elevator down to the fire drills or just not turning up at them.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

That is a bad situation, but one that can't be remedied without spending a bunch of money, and that won't happen. Best hope is that in the event of a real fire, they would be persuaded by the flames right on their heels, to get out of the building and fast as they can. Too many drills can backfire, and folks might ignore a real fire alert thinking it's just another drill.
    Roswell was a gift.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

We're given a couple of days' advance notice that there will be a fire drill on a certain day, each month.

We don't know the time of day, and we're expected to show up ASAP.

If you call 911 firefighters will assist people who need help with stairs by carrying them bodily downstairs. Maybe that is what happened with this woman but the last I heard she was spending the night on the first floor.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

How about this, put the most disabled on the first floor, the least disabled on the 3rd floor, and those in between, on the 2nd floor?
    Roswell was a gift.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast