Aspbergers from kids to adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspbergers from kids to adults

I have raised my grandson who has Aspberger's Syndrome. I like to call it Aspberger's gifted. While it certainly has its challenges, it also brings many rewards. Let me give you a brief story of my experience.

We were given custody of two of our grandkids when they were removed from their home. We had been concerned for him for some time and wanted to intervene, but it was not welcomed. Finally, the state stepped in and he was brought to us. We went yo his school where they explained he had a form of autism, and only had an IQ of 65 and would never be able to do anything of value and would likely never be able to function in society on his own. We informed the committee of teachers and administrators they were wrong. We demanded he be taught and that he graduate high school with an earned diploma, not just passed along for him to be babysat at school till they could get rid of him.

Needless to say, it was quite challenging for all of us. We established our expectations, and they were the same as with any other kid his age for education and behavior. To make a long story short, last year he was graduated from High School with an earned diploma, on time, with his class. In his senior year, he was always on the honor roll. Because his expectations were as high as anyone else's, he stepped up to reach those expectations. Certainly he had to work about three times as hard as anyone else, but to him that was normal.

He was accepted in technical college to study welding technology. His hobby was blacksmithing since junior high, so it was a natural progression. He graduated from his tech college a few weeks ago and was the first in his class. He has his own pickup truck and is a good driver. He voted in his first election this past year. He has a girlfriend and a good social life. Certainly, he has numerous challenges. Most people who eat him think he's just a bit odd. He has a sense of humor, but it can be a bit strange. He is very black and white, and cannot lie. He is now 19, six four and about 245, and loves his life. Certainly it was a lot of work and he needed to feel safe and secure to get where he is, but he is a fully functioning adult who works with gen public every day and loves it. He never missed a day of school or work in the years since we got him. We are very proud of the young man he has become and certainly are excited that he will have a pretty normal life. Everuohas their own story, but this is ours. Thank you fylistening.

Every child should be as fortunate as this one. All are deserving but unfortunately too many do not get the love and care to thrive. Thank you for sharing I hope your message might help others to help if needed.

Comment

Working...
    X