Thread: Ensure: Is It Really Nutritional Food?

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

Default Ensure: Is It Really Nutritional Food?

hey all !

i remember reading some posts about "Ensure" posted by rose (EarthMother2Angels) and some members of the MS forum.

i came across this article today and although i already knew what ensure contained because i had read the labels, i thought this might be interesting for those who do take ensure to supplement their meals or in place of a meal.

this article was written by a woman who was dying of ovarian cancer: http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...nks.html?t=HHL

Ensure is owned by Abbott Nutrition, one of the worst examples of a Big Food corporation masquerading as a healthy alternative you’ll ever see. The company has deep ties to the medical industry and as such you can find their products in just about every hospital today, which is bad news for millions of patients who are just trying to get healthier.... It makes big claims to customers such as “#1 Doctor Recommended” and “Worldwide Leader in Nutritional Science” but in reality, their products are as far away from a healthy meal as you can get. Sadly, these products are often given to patients in extremely poor health, who need proper nutrition the most. Instead, when consuming these products they are receiving the following: preservatives, fillers, and chemicals. To make matters worse, Abbott Nutrition is a member of the notorious pro-GMO organization the Grocery Manufacturers Association, and to date has given nearly a million dollars to fight against GMO labeling in the United States.
    this is the list of ingredients that are in their "orange drink" (click on the pics to enlarge and see ingredients):

ensure.jpg

not even one fruit!

here is a list of ingredients from the ensure plus line:

ensure plus.jpg

i know many people aren't concerned about gmo's and that is fine. what i think is more important is these drinks are mostly water, sugar and some vitamins that you're paying an exorbitant amount of money for, which is all going to abbott labs. i know convenience is important and i know not feeling well and having to make something to eat is hard, but with a little planning, you can make something in your blender or food processor which has so much more nutrition and is real food!

all you have to have on hand is milk or powdered milk or whatever other milk you drink (almond, hemp, rice, soy), some frozen fruit, maybe peanut butter, greek yogurt (double the protein of regular and you can freeze it, too) and if you want, some kind of protein powder, either whey (milk based) or plant based protein powder. a cup of milk, half a cup of yogurt, some protein powder, or not, and frozen fruit (which thickens up the shake) and 2 minutes later, your blender has produced a wonderful supplemental drink for you which will prolly cost you dollars less than ensure and give your body real nutrition.

i have been reading labels in supermarket aisles since the 80's. i think a lot of processed foods have too much sugar, salt and non-pronounceable ingredients. if you can't pronounce it, your body doesn't know what it is either . i hope i have given you food for thought today!

thank you for reading,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 08-08-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had doubts about Ensure ever since I tried it many years ago but since I haven't kept up with the changes in it over the years, I thought maybe it had improved.

Back then (20 years ago!) it was sickeningly sweet and contained entirely too much sugar for any diabetic.

I looked at its Website now and find that it is definitely NOT for diabetics. The Website information says so.

I also looked up the nutrition information for several types of Ensure and found all of them to have almost no fiber and not so very much protein, considering that it's being promoted as a complete nutrition product.
    One typical example:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/1790464

Abbott seems to have flooded the market with a vast array of varieties of Ensure to choose from but I for one hope to stay away from it indefinitely.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose mentioned Orgain so this seems like a good place to mention that alternative.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Orgain sounds much better to me. From its Website:

with 21g of organic protein, 5g of fiber, and no added sugar
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

7. The following user says "thanks"

There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

jeannie ~

Thanks for posting this thread and information about Ensure. Abbott Nutrition, like many other manufacturers of supplemental and enteral formulas, are not interested in our health. Their interest is $$$$ and tons of it.

Your smoothie suggestion is a great way to get extra nutrition, vitamins and calories.

I used to give my sons Ensure pudding, when they could eat orally. All the doctors and nutritionists/dietitians promote it. That's the first thing suggested to Jim when he was diagnosed with cancer, along with eating chicken (we're vegetarians). We said "No thanks." Time to go back to Orgain.

Orgain is plant based nutrition, developed by a cancer survivor, who is also a doctor:

http://orgain.com/about-us/our-story/

Jim has two Orgain shakes/day, and they have definitely helped him to gain weight and be healthier. The pneumonia was likely an opportunistic infection due to steroids, but his immune system was strong enough to fight it off, in part due to his diet and Orgain supplementation.

We order 3 cases on line to meet his needs. Costco sometimes carries Orgain. If you order on line with Costco, it will be delivered to you.

Orgain offers a search for a store near you:

http://orgain.com/find-a-store/

We don't own stock in Orgain. We just believe in it as a delicious, beneficial, chemical free supplemental nutrition.

I always think of the adage: "You are what you eat."

Here's to healthy eating for all!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I was weary of "Ensure" ever since docs tried to give it to my family members.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

12. The following user says "thanks"