Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (OT) Eclipse?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I caught a news story today about the eclipse, live from Madras, Oregon, population 7,000. The reporter cautioned about "counterfeit" viewing glasses, so make sure that your glasses are certified. Here's safety information about the eclipse viewing:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Evidently, there are several wildfires in Oregon, including one near Sisters, which required evacuation of camping tourists.

We will likely only see a partial eclipse in our area. We have no glasses, so we'll watch it on TV and look out the window to see whether it gets darker. I'm planning to take photos of some of the unique and exotic flowers growing in our neighborhood on my walk tomorrow morning. Perhaps they will look interesting in the shadow of the eclipse.

I wonder what impact this astronomical phenomenon might have on Earth, to humans and animals, as well as our planet. May it be a positive influence on all beings.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've been trying for over an hour to sign up to see it online, and I give up!!! It's 90 degrees, and I'm not going outside. I saw one as a kid, and still remember it, and that will do. I will look out the window, and see how dark it gets.
    Roswell was a gift.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Where there's a will............

I will be able to see it sitting in the kitchen. Later fellow astronomers.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard about chickens going to roost when there's an eclipse. That may happen but it's not a very big deal:

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2017/0...ckens-and.html
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

Well, I gave up, it's getting too hot in the kitchen, and came back to my man-cave, flipped on the TV, and started flipping through channels, and here it is, a better view than I could get here with my setup.

I was using a technique that was online, using binoculars and a white surface. You don't look directly in the binoculars, but hold "I have a small piece of cardboard" under the side of the binoculars where you would normally look. It worked great, but TV is better.
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It wasn't so hot in the parking lot.

That figures. The eclipse had cooled the place off.

The weirdest, most beautiful light--and it's still here. It's a bit like early morning or early evening.

I was out in the parking lot sitting in my wheelchair, away from the throngs who were clustered around the building's front door. I wanted to see the eclipse, not listen to my neighbors.

With the eclipse glasses over my rx sunglasses, I had a superb view. A tiny sliver of sun was showing at the peak of it but hey! Good enough!

The only time we can look right at the sun and see that it really is just a ball of fire. And I'm breathing a sigh of relief because no critters from outer space interfered.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

It's amazing that we on this planet sit 92 million miles from this ball of fire, yet we can feel the heat from it.
    Roswell was a gift.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It was downright chilly out there when it was at its darkest.

All the things that didn't happen are awe-inspiring. The Van Allen belts didn't catch fire. I seem to recall a movie where that happened.

I had to make some calls (library to renew a book, neurologist's office to find out about a bill I seem to owe, etc.) but nobody is answering. Instead there are messages: library expects slow mail all week because of the increased eclipse traffic and is closed today on account of it, neuro's office closing early because of the traffic.

I don't quite get so much commotion about something that happens now and again but I must have missed something somewhere.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Not much to see here. It just looks overcast,

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

A strange event here. About the time of the peak eclipse, it started POURING rain. Was it the sudden change of temperature, combined with the high humidity? The good ol' weather online still says 20% chance of rain, and 90 degrees.

I'm glad I just watched on TV, back in the AC.
    Roswell was a gift.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast