Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever had shingles ? - share your experience, please.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This article in Consumer Reports (August 2017)--"Do You Need the Shingles Vaccine?"-- contains some information about shingles and the vaccine that might be surprising. For instance, the vaccine is only 51% effective--and it loses its effectiveness after only 5 years. Currently there's no booster available. Also, apparently it's a good idea to wait until you're 60 to get the vaccine.

http://www.consumerreports.org/shing...halertjuly2017
    Last edited by agate; 07-25-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

How many of us would have to "wait" to be sixty? Not me.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My brother who just had shingles told me about the 5 year deal. He had the shot, but could not remember how long it had been. I think he did have a milder case.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

My husband went to CVS pharmacy and got the vaccine there. It cost him $30 straight out of pocket, no insurance billed, so I don't know where that $200 price is coming from. I also know of a few people that got it a few years ago at their doctor's office. It cost them $100. I assumed it cost more a few years ago than it does now because it was a new vaccine? Plus the office overhead costs? Or maybe that's what doctor's offices bill insurance, knowing full well they will not get paid that much?

Seems the insurance companies love to let you know what they are billed for things, which is not even close to what they actually pay. Yet most times we don't get billed for the difference. Hmmmm . . . it all seems like a scam.

The Consumer Reports article doesn't suggest getting the vaccine every 5 years. I wonder if that would be harmful instead of helpful? I think most 60 year olds have more than 5 years left. Is 65 the new expiration date? If so, I only have days left!
    Na, never mind, I haven't had that vaccine yet, I'm okay still!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

A few of the commenters to the Consumer Reports article state that they have RA, and their doctors advised them not to get the shingles vaccine.

This makes sense to me, as I recall Jim having the pneumonia vaccine a few years ago, upon the insistence of our doctor, while he was in the midst of a major RA flare. Within hours of the shot, Jim became very ill with fever, chills, and congestion. He was in bed for 10 days.

After infusion of Opdivo, an immunotherapy drug to treat his cancer, Jim immediately was stricken with a head to toe RA flare and excruciating pain, which lasted about 6 weeks. He is on a maintenance dose of Prednisone now, three months later, as a result of that side effect.

So, it's probably a good idea to ask your physician(s) and pharmacists whether any vaccine is okay for you to take, and whether it interacts with any medications your are taking or infusions you are receiving. I've witnessed how debilitating it was for Jim, and it was pretty ugly. No one should go through what he has, so please be assured by your doc/pharmacist that it is safe for you, before you get the shot.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

My brother's Doctor said they do not want to give it but one time - So Nuthatch if you get it and the five years expires then I guess you have to expire also.
    Virginia

It's always a good idea to talk to all of your doctors and compare medications, before introducing anything new, like the shingles shot or pneumonia shot. Last time I went into the hospital I was asked if I had either, and was given a booster of the pneumonia...but no mention of a booster for shingles. As I've said before, shingles has by far been the worst pain I've ever experienced in 70 years..... I strongly urge you to consider getting the shot, doing whatever you can to avoid it, or at least experience a milder case of it.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

That sounds awful. CBD oil helps my neuropathy from MS. Wonder if it can help you? I buy Edens Cure. You can get it on line. The oil sold in my Vitamin shop was worthless.

Still waiting for my patient card from state of florida to be able to purchase medical marijuana.

Are you in a state that sells medical marijuana? Bet it works.

Ah! Yr in Cali! Get to a MMJ store pronto. Yo can get MMJ which isblowndosee THC combined with Cannabinoid. Shouldn't make you high in right ratio.

If gun shy, start with CBD oil. Edens Cure is sold retail in California. I use the oil tincture in a bottle with a med dropper. It's sold on line too.

Edens Cure eliminated my BILs diabetic neuropathy. Nothing else helped him.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 07-26-2017 at 08:41 AM.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds awful. CBD oil helps my neuropathy from MS. Wonder if it can help you? I buy Edens Cure. You can get it on line. The oil sold in my Vitamin shop was worthless.

Still waiting for my patient card from state of florida to be able to purchase medical marijuana.

Are you in a state that sells medical marijuana? Bet it works.

Ah! Yr in Cali! Get to a MMJ store pronto. Yo can get MMJ which isblowndosee THC combined with Cannabinoid. Shouldn't make you high in right ratio.

If gun shy, start with CBD oil. Edens Cure is sold retail in California. I use the oil tincture in a bottle with a med dropper. It's sold on line too.

Edens Cure eliminated my BILs diabetic neuropathy. Nothing else helped him.
    ((((((BBS)))))) ~

I'm not sure if you were addressing this post to nuthatch or to me. If it was to me, Jim has been taking CBD oil capsules for about 5 months, and we feel that it has been effective in controlling his cancer. His oncologist is very supportive of him taking it, as are the infusion nurses. They can't prescribe it, but they agree that it's beneficial.

It also helps with his RA, but the adverse effect from Opdivo was so immense and horrid that nothing helped except Prednisone. The lasting effect of Opdivo means that he has to remain on a maintenance dose, otherwise, he has a flare about every 5 days and has to take 30 mg of Prednisone.

The upside, according to his oncologist yesterday, is that the Opdivo seems to have helped knock his cancer for a loop. So, in exchange for his pain, his tumor shrunk by 50%.

I think CBD oil is fantastic stuff, and I would guess that everyone, regardless of their health condition, could benefit from it. And you're very spot on ~ not all CBD oil is the same.

By the way, in California, a patient can get an MMJ card (or recommendation as it is called) on line for about $30. And, there are home delivery services throughout the state, which deliver within 60-90 minutes of placing an order. You never have to step foot in a dispensary or leave the comfort of your home. It's pretty amazing.

I'm so glad that it's working for you! May it continue to help you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, in exchange for his pain, his tumor shrunk by 50%.
    That is a MAJOR improvement. I hope it continues to improve!
    Roswell was a gift.

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast