Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever had shingles ? - share your experience, please.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Default Ever had shingles ? - share your experience, please.

I thought a spider had joined me in bed and bit me down my arm and on my hand. Intense itching, just a few single tiny bumps spaced and inch or two apart, some more on my palm and between the fingers.
    But two days later my arm started feeling like someone had been repeatedly punching me in the arm. Not surface pain, deep aching pain like a charliehorse! What's weird is that it would only hurt like that at night. In the daytime there was no pain. The pain would start at about 11p.m. and would keep awakening me all night long. Of course that pain started on the weekend, so I had to tough it out until Monday. But on Sunday I started itching on my other palm, where just one new tiny bump had appeared.
    Monday, I got an afternoon appt. with the nurse practitioner. After examining the bumps with a black-light magnifying instrument to rule out fungus and scabies, I was diagnosed with shingles! On Valacyclovir (antiviral), Prednisone, Tramadol (for pain), and Benadryl cream (for itching).

What's weird is that this doesn't look like any of the cases of shingles I've seen on the internet or anywhere else.
    My left hand is tingly, that kinda half asleep feeling I've had so many time before with MS flares. Hard to tell what's what! Hope it's just shingles nerves and not the start of something MS.
    Trouble is, I'm left handed and handwriting is awkward for sure.

Hubby went and got a shingles vaccine. Wish I had, now. They say stress can bring it on. Lord only knows I've been stressed lately!

Curious to know what others have experienced.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I had the shingles around my waist on the back. I have a supplement I take when I feel any tingles in that area. It is called Herp-eeze capsules. I call 1-888-388-8566 When I begin to run low. The bottles hold 120 caps.

I also have a RX for acyclovir in the freezer that I can take if I break out. It is no fun, I hope you get relief soon. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Nuthatch, your meds should be very effective at giving you some relief. I've never had shingles, and hope I never do, it must be terrible. Stay with those meds, and it will pass.
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Nuthatch)))))) ~

I'm so sorry you have Shingles. Jim had a very mild case a few years ago, and it subsided without treatment. Actually, I cleaned the rash every day with an alcohol swab and applied neosporin, which did seem to help it heal. We also thought that it might be a spider bite, but Jon's nurse confirmed that it was Shingles.

Some information I found, which might be helpful to you:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/shingl...anagement.aspx

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154912.php

Sending healing energy your way ~ may the acyclovir work quickly and this outbreak be brief.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

5. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Oh, Joan, so sorry you are having this problem.

I had what I was sure was exquisitely painful paresthesias in two dermatomes on my R thigh. It was over a week before I got a rash there, also on a Sunday. I went to the ER ( we didn't have urgent care then). I timed it for 8 AM when it isn't busy. Yes, it was shingles.

I got whatever antiviral was available then. And some steroid cream to reduce chance of scars. The lesions didn't hurt much, but were very sensitive to bedsheets and clothing. Continued to feel like bad paresthesias for 2-3 weeks.

And, they never looked like the open sores you see on TV.

Take care,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I have had up close and personal relationships with a number of people who have had shingles and I have always been told that they travel along a nerve either around the waist, down the back, etc. Joan, I have never heard of shingles going from one palm of the hand to the other. Sounds so different from all that I have heard about, but since you saw the Doctor I guess he must know.

My brother is still recovering from his bout with shingles from his back around one side. The shingles are gone, but the pain is lingering on. My husband had it in same place. I also knew a lady who had it down one side of her face. It left scars, but being a woman she was able to cover them with makeup. It did leave her about blind in that eye. First I have heard of them being on both sides at the same time.

I hope you get better soon. You will likely feel pretty bad for quite awhile. Let us know if you are up to it.
    Last edited by Virginia; 07-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Virginia

Yes, it's not usual for shingles to appear on both sides of the body like that. It usually attacks one nerve, and travels along that nerve. I think I'd be checking again with the doctor to see if there isn't some other explanation. Yes, I had shingles, 3 years ago. My left shoulder and neck were affected....large red blisters, that broke open and emitted a watery fluid. Intense itching and pain, the worst pain I've ever experienced. On a scale of 1-10, I'm taking about 15. Itching that seemed to go down to the bone. None of the drugs offered seemed to help at all.. now, three years later I still experience the itching, at least once,a day. I've tried ever, the latest being aspercreme with lidocaine, which works some times, but not always.

Get the shingles shot, everyone!! Shingles is truly horrible.

Joan, the way Cat explained it is the only way I have ever heard of it. I have also had two Doctors describe it to me and they said it travels along one nerve.

Many years ago I worked for a couple of years for two Doctors. One was very good and compassionate and he had a patient that had shingles and he went to her house. She could not get into the office. But she had the chicken pox at the same time that she had shingles. He took pictures and brought them for me to see.
    Virginia

Joan, were you outside at all, pulling weeds, perhaps? Nettles comes to mind..they can cause intense pain...and the blisters being on your hands. Or wild parsnip (looks like a weed, the leaves are prickly).
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Haven't been outside for weeks except to go to the doctor. It's been too hot! Also haven't touched any plants, eaten anything different, changed soaps, ect.
    Last night my arm decided to ache/hurt again, waking me repeatedly, but it's not aching now, since about noon. Not as itchy as I was. Still no blisters, just bumps. Today the fingertips on my left hand feel weird, almost like they're dry and chapped, but they're not! This is just so strange, but that's the way I seem to do things.

Thanks for all your input and the helpful links. I'll get through this. It could be worse, so counting my blessings.

Joan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast