Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swallowing problem

Distinguished Community Member

You should get some answers soon. Somehow it slipped past the Neuro's office, so good you saw PCP.
    Virginia

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((BBS)))))) ~

I'll be thinking of you and sending you positive energy tomorrow morning for your test. May the test results reveal something easily treatable and manageable. And may you find relief with Prilosec.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

The test was so easy. Yay!

The radiologist found no evidence of GERD or reflux (yay!) . He saw evidence of mild "tertiary contractions " of the esophagus. The muscles do not coordinate well in the esophagus and so the liquid and food take longer to go down, and the food and liquid may sometimes sit at the bottom of the esophagus a bit, causing the sensation of backwash.

He sees it in some older people and also MS. He thinks it's from MS but said to talk to the neuro about it. His advice is to stop losing weight. He sees wt loss in MS patients (Really? I usually see the opposite). Eat small meals, chew well etc.already do that.

The tech was surprised he spent so much time talking to me. Usually he says little. Must be my enigmatic personality.

I feel relieved, so the anxiety and sadness about it have disappeared. Will wait from word from Neuro and/or PCP as to his recommendation.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Overall, good news. Glad to hear this. Did he mention stretching the esophagus? If he did not I am surprised, it can really help.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The test was so easy. Yay!

The radiologist found no evidence of GERD or reflux (yay!) . He saw evidence of mild "tertiary contractions " of the esophagus. The muscles do not coordinate well in the esophagus and so the liquid and food take longer to go down, and the food and liquid may sometimes sit at the bottom of the esophagus a bit, causing the sensation of backwash.

He sees it in some older people and also MS. He thinks it's from MS but said to talk to the neuro about it. His advice is to stop losing weight. He sees wt loss in MS patients (Really? I usually see the opposite). Eat small meals, chew well etc.already do that.

The tech was surprised he spent so much time talking to me. Usually he says little. Must be my enigmatic personality.

I feel relieved, so the anxiety and sadness about it have disappeared. Will wait from word from Neuro and/or PCP as to his recommendation.
    So glad to hear that your radiologist had moderately good news--at least you don't have some of the conditions that were being considered.

Yes, people with MS do lose weight. I've seen some people with MS who are skin and bones.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((BBS)))))) ~

So glad for you that you got reassuring news on your test. I hope your neuro and/or PCP will offer remedies for you. If you need liquid supplemental nutrition, I highly recommend Orgain (Orgain.com ~ also Costco sells it sometimes ~ even on line). It's plant based, with 16 grams of protein, and Jim says it's delicious. It has certainly benefited him on his cancer journey.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

12. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Thank you Rose for the suggestion.

Virginia I will ask about stretching when I see the doc. I keep hoping that if it's MS it might fade.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I'm glad you got relatively good news. Nothing eating away at the esophagus is good! :) There are several protein drinks out there, Ensure is a common brand, that you might try to supplement your diet. I like the Ensure vanilla and butter pecan flavors....
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

The radiologist said, mild tertiary contracture, no GERD, no danger to airway, no leakage of material.

Neuro called and said this is good news, and the problems likely related to MS. If persists, see GI for testing.

Called GI yesterday and they have a cancellation this morning.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

GI guy recommends speech swallow eval. After that will likely rec endoscopy and possible stretch esophagus while under for endoscopy. Poor communicator, couldn't be bothered.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast