Thread: Changes at Photobucket

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Changes at Photobucket

I'm fairly sure there are others here who use Photobucket as storage for their images/photos and link to those images from here at times.

I've been notified that from now on I'd need to pay $40/month to allow linking of images because they're initiated a new policy involving 3rd party hosting.

This happens often on the Internet, doesn't it? You sign up for something that is free, you get used to having that feature, and then suddenly you're being charged for it. They get you hooked--and then they slap on a fee.

I for one am not going to pay $40 a month for this, but I should let people know that some of my images on this board will no longer be showing up. I'll try to fix them as I find them--either by removing them entirely or finding another way to get them here.

Since they're also on my computer, I should be able to do that but I'll have to fix them as I find them. I no longer recall which ones came from Photobucket. In recent years, hardly any.

I went to another site that has one of my images on it today and found it gone. Instead there was a big ugly notice from Photobucket.

This is mainly just a rant about Photobucket. Thanks for listening!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Hmm. I didn't get that notice but then I generally use other sites to post images.I just checked and mine are still there. Here's one.

It's a pain but if you d/l it to your computer and then u/l to PB that should work.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

You may be under a plan that isn't affected by the change, or maybe they haven't got around to you yet. This is what you get if you click on the notice banner at the top of the Photobucket page:

http://blog.photobucket.com/please-r...s-photobucket/

I think most images are transferrable now by right-clicking on them and choosing one of the options, but I do recall having quite a few on Photobucket that I linked to a while ago.
    Last edited by agate; 07-18-2017 at 08:41 AM.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

You can open a private Facebook page under "groups" and post your pix there just for you. Google can't penetrate it.

The quirk is that to open it, you need to invite another member. But, after you do it, in less than a moment, you disinvite them. They needn't accept.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can open a private Facebook page under "groups" and post your pix there just for you. Google can't penetrate it.

The quirk is that to open it, you need to invite another member. But, after you do it, in less than a moment, you disinvite them. They needn't accept.
    I probably won't be trying this even though it sounds handy. I'm so slow I'm hoping to be reincarnated as a snail.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

You could have fun trying it. It's pretty easy and self explanatory. My tech skills are zilch and even I could do it

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    You could have fun trying it. It's pretty easy and self explanatory. My tech skills are zilch and even I could do it
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'd be afraid that someone would get a friend request and then wonder why it disappeared and feel bewildered. The Internet sends stuff with lightning speed.

I just might try it though.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I used to store photos to a remote site back when I had WebTV. But now on this laptop, all my pictures are stored ON the laptop. I have used a very small fraction of the memory. You guys must have a gazillion photos to store them elsewhere.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I don't have many. But I got started with Photobucket back before photos shown on the Internet came with handy little drop-down menus giving you options for copying them. I've edited and resized photos using Photobucket, and it still comes in handy that way.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'd be afraid that someone would get a friend request and then wonder why it disappeared and feel bewildered. The Internet sends stuff with lightning speed.

I just might try it though.
    Tell your friend or family member what you're doing.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"