Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: The Garfield...my first

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

How fun!!! I especially love the bottle cap, golf tee bar stools in Brimble's Public House/ pub. How did you ever get them so level and even? Wow, impressive!
    I've done a small bit of doll making. Years ago I tried my hand at making apple head dolls. They're fun to carve and then see them slowly come to life showing character as they dry and shrink. I made a body for one and even entered it into the county fair. She's still displayed in my craft room and have a small box full of apple heads waiting for a turn at life. Someday . . .

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Well, Rose, the whole Catterville story is a sort of book....just send me your email and you can have your own copy!..😁😁😁

Thanks for all your lovely comments, every one. It is a fun hobby. A lot of time, energy...and yes money...goes in to each house, but I love doing it, and am glad I am feeling well enough to get back to it. I'm in the midst of rehabbing a house right now that I bought off Craigslist, $25 for a house that costs over $100 if new and in kit form (not put together; a box of parts). The stories come as I do the construction work. The inhabitants of the house speak to me, telling me how they want the house to look inside and out, and what their back stories are, how they got to Catterville. I just write that down...

Any of you who have done crafts know that generally you'll never get back the money that you've spent....and time. There is a dollhouse museum and association that will get all my stuff should I die without otherwise disposing of it myself. I've thought about loaning out the houses to display, but without some kind of protection they, and the stuff in them, can be easily broken...or stolen.. while I make some of the stuff myself, a lot is purchased. Some accessories cost over $100. The dolls cost me $125 each...a discounted price because I found and bought the molds... So lots of money spent there....I haven't added it up over the years, but know it's in the thousands. But I keep at it...

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read the revised version of "Catterville" (at last) and it's delightful reading.

Now I can look at these dollhouses and know what's really going on in them!

The houses are integrated into the story but they by no means dominate it--quite an achievement, as rewriting a story isn't easy.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Now I'm in the middle of a new house, and a new chapter to the story is buzzing around in my head. That's what usually happens: as I work on my dollhouses, their story becomes apparent to me, and I just write it down. I've got an elderly couple here, fully transformed Cats, who are moving back to Catterville after a lot of years "outside". They're eagerly awaiting their Tudor House, which reminds them of the house they were born in, many years ago. They were young kittens playing on the hearth of the fireplaces in the house, and running up and down the curved fireplace, chasing each other (there were two mother cats living in the house, so they're from separate mothers..) Anyway, their house isn't anywhere near ready, and already they're hanging around pressing the builder to get it done!.. :)
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Love the continuing cat house stories. Jeanie :)

10. The following user says "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123