Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: The Garfield...my first

Distinguished Community Member

Default OT: The Garfield...my first

MVC-022F.JPGMVC-022F.JPGkitchen side.JPGca

The Garfield, a giant Victorian, was my first dollhouse. Took YEARS to build. I didn't know what I was doing, and had to work through each step, some several times, before I got it "right". Looking back at it, there are things that I'd do differently now, after building 10 more, but it looks OK as it is. :)

The Garfield is inhabited by Maggie GoodCat, the Matriarch of Catterville. She always has several cats living with her, a sort of bed and breakfast for newcomers to Catterville. And of course several of her kittens, and grandkittens live there, too. Maggie has her eyes on all the cats....and the few dogs, the fewer humans, and a couple of bears, who live in the Village. She knows their comings and goings, and is quick to help, or send one of her cats, to help when there is a need. She is also quick to discipline anyone who might get out of line. You'd think the Villagers would resent her, but Maggie also is a wonderful baker -- there is not a day that goes by that there isn't something wonderful coming from her stove...scones, breads, cakes, pies...and there is always a pot of catnip tea brewing. She carries the history of Catterville in her pretty little head, and is always willing to share a cup of tea and a story with you.

Of course, not everyone can SEE the Garfield...or any of Catterville, for that matter. You first have to love cats, then be ready to believe, then be ready to walk in the woods Somewhere Up North, where Catterville is located. Then, if you're lucky, you'll go around the bend and there it will be...9 houses, 3 stores, a green house, a lighthouse, a garden, and a den where the polar bears live....
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; 07-08-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Attachment 4774 The Brookwood Meeting House is open to all the residents of Catterville, and is their community Center. They used to hold community meetings in Maggie's Garfield, but the Village grew too big for everyone to be comfortable there, so they built the Brookwood. The Great Room on the first floor is set up so that they can hold religious services if they want..in the cupboard is a cross, a menorah, a Unitarian Universalist chalice, an Egyptian God symbol. A bit of rearranging of the furniture and they're ready whenever they want. Then there's a pool table on the second floor for the boy cats (and some of the girls) to play on, a second smaller meeting room where the women's guild often has lunches, and then a library on the top floor. Selena and her daughter, Cassie, came all the way from Scotland just to manage it all. Selena is a niece of Maggie, and cousin to Brimble. The women live at the Garfield when they're not busy with activities at the Brookwood...
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

3. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your hobby-- the photos were fun to look at and notice the details.

5. The following 3 users say "thanks"

sorry...double post...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; 07-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

New Tennyson 014.jpgNew Tennyson 020.jpg,
    This is the Tennyson. Tuffy and his son, Blackie, and their friend, Shadow, live here. They are quite cosmopolitan cats. Their most recent travels took them to Japan, and they came back with all sorts of Japanese furniture and artifacts. They wanted to share them with the whole Village, so they set up their living room as a tea house, and host weekly teas for the Villagers.

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

IMGP0728.jpgIMGP0731.jpgIMGP0731.jpg

This is The Washington, Ric the Archaeologists house. Ric is one of the few humans who lives in Catterviller. He was an archaeologist at the University in the nearby Town, but left his position and moved to Catterville. Ric discovered the Village quite by accident, one day, when he went wandering into the woods with his new GPS, trying to figure out how to use it. Like most men, he didn't bother to read the directions, so he was randomly pushing buttons, stumbling over branches and vines.....when suddenly he heard a cry! a whimper! He dropped his GPS and looked around, expecting to find a child, but saw no one! He listened again...yes, there it was, a cry..a meow! There's a cat hurt here, somewhere! He got down on his hands and knees, cat's eye level, and looked through the undergrowth...and yes, there, next to the big tree, half-hidden under a pile of leaves, was a cat! He reached over, grabbed her and lifted her out of the leaves. She was yeowling and scratching..but obviously tired, weak, very wet, very sad. He tucked her into his coat, next to his chest, and started looking for a house, for someone, who might know who she was, where she lived. He turned a corner and there, in front of him, was a huge old Victorian house! He hustled up to the door, rang the bell, and when it opened, started babbling..."I found this little cat, she's lost, she's wet and cold, and maybe hurt and does she live here?" and looked up...and saw that he was talking to a cat!!

Well, there's a lot more to that story, but here he is in his house, he and his cats and a few of their friends. He loves Catterville, loves to hang out with Brimble, and with Peter, one of Maggies nephews, sharing stories about how awful the University was, and how scary it is to live in Town....

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't imagine being able to get all of the details right--the staircases alone in all of the houses look like a daunting project, and you probably had to get the wallpaper on precisely too?

The end results are spectacular!

It's interesting to know that they tie in with the Catterville story. Some of us were here when you posted the original story and remember it well.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

13. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Brookwood Meeting House is open to all the residents of Catterville, and is their community Center. They used to hold community meetings in Maggie's Garfield, but the Village grew too big for everyone to be comfortable there, so they built the Brookwood. The Great Room on the first floor is set up so that they can hold religious services if they want..in the cupboard is a cross, a menorah, a Unitarian Universalist chalice, an Egyptian God symbol. A bit of rearranging of the furniture and they're ready whenever they want. Then there's a pool table on the second floor for the boy cats (and some of the girls) to play on, a second smaller meeting room where the women's guild often has lunches, and then a library on the top floor. Selena and her daughter, Cassie, came all the way from Scotland just to manage it all. Selena is a niece of Maggie, and cousin to Brimble. The women live at the Garfield when they're not busy with activities at the Brookwood...
    For some reason--probably my computer's shortcomings--I can't get to this one.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For some reason--probably my computer's shortcomings--I can't get to this one.
    i can't get to it either. Try again please? I'm really enjoying them.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

The brookwood link appears to not be working.. I will have to fix it tomorrow, as the pictures are on my computer but not on the kindle. The story that agate is talking about has greatly expanded...and is available...if you want to private message me here, with your private email. Just let me know you've messaged me...as I forget to look there!��

19. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast