Keep on Moving Club: July 1, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on Moving Club: July 1, 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

Surfed today will write up tomorrow!

Comment

For us on SS, it was payday. Usually paydays, I go to the dump to take my trash. Then go to the bank and get my grocery shopping money. Then to the grocery store. I also went to CVS for all my meds for the month.

Come home, put everything away, made coleslaw, then cleaned the litter boxes. And that's pretty much my routine every month on payday. Tomorrow, I'll rest and do very little.

Monday is a new day, and I don't plan that far ahead!
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Good job!

Yesterday DH drove me to beach and rolled me to ocean in wheelchair. We 9 gals were only ones in ocean because waves were so small, barely rideable. But I popped up on one! I lay down on 5-6 more, because when waves are that small, they break in shallow water, creating danger of serious injury to surfer and the board.

The water was crystal clear. Our crew spotted a manatee by her board, a big ray cruising by, bait fish, and exotic shell.

One of the great local surfers gave me an unexpected moving lengthy shoutout in his monthly newsletter about tmy challenges of surfing with MS, and maintenance of kindness and stoke in spite of it.

I was stunned by it, flattered, honored. And, thought of all the unsung heros who go about their day with kindness and fortitude despite tremendous challenges of disease.

Comment

Good on husband, good on crew, good on news editor and good on you!

ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Congratulations, BBS! So glad others are recognizing what everyone here already knew!
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I swam 12 minutes today, 960 Feet or 320 yards--- 3 football fields. No spasms or increased MS symptoms.

Comment

That is wonderful about the write up BBS. So glad you are being recognized for all your efforts and even more so for your kindness to others. As Agate said we all knew here, but it must be nice to know others have noticed. I am sure DH is very proud of you.

Also, congratulations on your swimming today. Three football fields is a long way.
                Virginia

Comment

Thank you :) such a tribute is typically only heard at funerals!

I swam 10 minutes today, 320 yards. Tomorrow will will try to surf briefly again.

Comment

Funerals???

Let's hope we're not talking about anyone's funeral here.

Maybe we laid it on too thick, BBS, but your surfing adventures are really enviable. Some of us here are just Web-surfers.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Pedometer readings for June averaged 1238 steps/day (figured for 29 days). That's the lowest average I've had in over a year.

Comment

Agate, for an average, I think it sounds real good. Some day maybe I will get another pedometer and try again.

BBS, I take all that back about you. If you are going to talk about funerals we need to start saying how bad you are!
                        Virginia

Comment

Nice job agate!

Ok, maybe I should say that I felt like I was peeking in on a paddle out ceremony. :)

Today DH drove me to the beach and wheeled me to the water while my crew helped out with the gear and the wheelchair. We were inducting a new member of the crew and since typically I do the induction, it was a not to be missed Day.

The forecast was for glassy barely rideable waves, and that's what it was. The water was so clear you could see every sand grain on the ocean floor. We spotted a manatee, Ray, and a pod of jack fish.

The ocean was refreshingly cool for July, @80-82. We go before the sun and air is too hot, wish I could still go st sunrise, but the wheelchair isn't available until about 7:45.

I stood up on a shin high wave first, and the second wave I stood up on was a knee high baby wave. That was my best ride since the attack began Mid May. I popped up well and got s little floaty drop on the wave and rode it to the left. It was fairly shallow, so the ride ended somewhat quickly, but that will hold me all day.

My crew is so helpful and encouraging, no way I could do this without help! And the BT crew is amazing too. Seems like we all got each other's back.

Am guessing I was on the ocean10 mins or so. But the whole adventure from driving down, inducting, rolling to the beach, being driven home and cleaning up the gear was close to 4 hours.

So far, no major problems. No life changing spasms. I threw everything at it this morning: Baclofen, an extra 2 mg Tizanidine, Marinol, CBD oil, Neurontin.

....Ambition.....

Comment

BBS, that is really great! Sounds like the water would be a little more to my liking today - not too rough. I am a wimp!

Glad you have the comradeship of good people doing what you like most. Also, DH is doing his part by getting you there and back. I am surprised with all that medication that you didn't just go to sleep.
                            Virginia

Comment

The ocean and stoke wakes you up! Until after when you snooze under the mental glow.

I swam an extra minute today 13 minutes, 346 yards. But it caused sig tightening in left shin as though might spasm. Took an extra 2 mg Tizanidine and 30mg CBD and it settled down in 45 minutes.

Lesson: take extra 2 tiz and CBD 1/2 hour before exercise.
                              Last edited by Sunshine; 07-05-2017, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X