No announcement yet.

OT July Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew, Sam and I have just covered the neighborhood with fireworks! My ears are still ringing! Rockets red glare, and bombs bursting in air. But now it's time to relax and watch sci-fi TV like I have done most of the day.

God bless America.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

((((((Jendie)))))) ~

After my son, Michael, passed, I struggled for months to cope with my grief. At that time, Braintalk's Coping with the Loss of a Child forum was fairly active, and all of my friends on the Child Neurology forum offered me support and comfort.

I began exploring the internet for other forums for grieving parents. Before I joined any of them, I lurked and read posts. Through the experiences of other grieving parents, I learned that my experiences were similar to theirs, and I was reassured that I wasn't actually losing my mind.

Forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating, feeling overwhelmed by every day things, an inexplicable heaviness combined with an indescribable peace. These are some of the many normal responses to the loss of a loved one, which are fresh and raw during the first year.

The first 6 months are a blur, because life has to go on, even if we're not feeling up to the task. So we function by rote, meet our obligations, and try to keep afloat. All the while, we are carrying immense sorrow, which feels like a boulder in our pocket.

We must give ourselves time to adjust and adapt, to grieve and feel every single feeling of grief, to not deny our tears, to let it all out. We must try not to put too much on our plate, because we only have so much energy to spread in meeting our daily needs and those of others, who depend upon us.

During this time, we need to learn coping tools to help us on our journey. Meditation, prayer, a creative outlet or hobby, journaling ...

For 3 years, I wrote a column for grieving parents on line. I've collected my columns and hope to publish them someday to help others, like you, find your path on this arduous and painful journey. To find peace in your grief. To feel consoled and comforted, and to know that you are not alone.

Be gentle with yourself, and don't expect more of yourself than you are able to give. Let the love that you and Tom shared bring you close now. On Earth, our separation seems interminable, but in Bliss, it is merely the blink of an eye.

Sending healing prayers for your strength, peace and comfort ~

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Good morning everyone!

I pulled an all nighter, no sleep. The fact that I had a few pots of coffee may have helped the situation, but I finished the coffee about noon. I also didn't eat yesterday, but made a fresh batch of coleslaw.

But none of that had anything to do with not sleeping. I simply want to hit the grocery store as soon as the doors open. I'm going to make a pasta dish I dreamed up yesterday. I'll tell you about it if it's good. But if I DO say it's good, remember it's coming from a starving man.

I think it's going to rain a few days. It did most of the night. A few days of rain will really put the brakes on that fireworks display. We'll see what they do, and what Mother Nature does.

Well, the doors open at 7, so I had better start getting ready. Have a great day everyone!
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Howie, just look who is the second one to check in. Unusual for me. I sleep in. Hope you have a good day, a safe trip to the store and that your pasta dish turns out excellent.

Okay, now it's time for all you other lazy folks to be up and about!
          Virginia

Comment

Seems I'm late getting here. Two people here ahead of me!

It was over 90' yesterday but I didn't hear any loud fireworks all day. That is a record for the day after the 4th. Usually the fireworks noise goes on for at least a week. It was so bad on the night of the 4th that maybe everyone used up their supplies. The neighborhood dogs have stopped barking, and I hope that all of the cats in hiding have been coming out of their safe havens.

Poor little Aggie used to burrow in my bed under the covers during fireworks season, and in Tacoma the season often lasted for weeks.

Howie's thinking up new recipes? Next he'll be doing his own cooking show on TV. Coming soon:

How Howie Cooks

I'm getting along without any grocery delivery this week. Only a couple of noticeable shortages--bananas, which don't keep for two weeks or at least mine never do, and the essential Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. I'm rationing out the supply by drinking it mainly in the AM and substituting water the rest of the time.

I have milk to make macaroni and cheese, frozen veggies, dates and dried cranberries, milk for cereal, bread in the freezer, and sardines as well as string cheese, and eggs I can hard boil or scramble or fry. Lots of nuts and peanut butter as well, plus canned veggies and fruit. One of my favorites, packaged red beans and rice, is on the shelf waiting for me to use it, and that's 3 dinners in that one package.

I thought of trying an InstaCart delivery but was too lazy to get on with it, and the idea of having a week off from the whole grocery-ordering process has been appealing.

One of these days I will try InstaCart, though, because the first delivery is free. I've already started an order there.

In a couple of weeks this building will get new washers and dryers. Big event! Instead of quarters we'll use a debit or credit card as I understand it. I think I'll like this. I know I'll like not having to keep getting quarters.

Cat Dancer, we don't know how Tuffy is doing. Hope all is OK.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Can't wait to hear how Howie's recipe goes and whether he'll share it! Please send any extra over to agate!

Jeanie, so sad how virulent these fleas seem to be. I thought eliminating fleas was down to a science at this point and easy to manage.

Agate, I'd love to lose the quarters, just not sure I'd trust a washing machine to protect my credit card info though.

Jendie, please just take care of yourself. Grief has no time limit.

BBS, I just posted research on a new method to treat spasticity.

Hi Parsi & Virginia & Vicky & ANN, hope the heat isn't kicking your butts too much. Virginia, nice of them to still keep you in the book club loop, even though you don't want to attend. Would it help to decide to pick up premade food instead rather than making anything yourself? Glad the smoke alarm people were so accommodating, good reminder that there are still decent people in the world!

Cat, hope you're doing ok, let us know about Tuffy.

Hi to Sally and renee and Gary if you're reading!

Rose and nuthatch, hope the fires aren't bad this year around either of you!

Peg, ssusan, has the new treatment started?

I'm notorious for missing people, so apologies in advance for my lapse...I know I'll remember and feel bad once I hit "send"!
              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

I've been napping for hours. It didn't make up for last night, but it will help. I had one cup of coffee left from this morning, so I'm having it now.

Mother Nature cancelled the fireworks show, but put on a pretty good show herself. It was a thunder storm, with lots of LOUD thunder. Some you could actually feel. Sam didn't pay much attention until those loud ones came.

She's right up against my leg which is her spot now. We type on the computer and listen to TV together. She has turned very sweet in her old age. I call her my "love bug".

I'm not going to make my pasta dish today, but will wait until tomorrow. That should feed me for the whole weekend, plus!

Have a great day, and stay cool and dry!
                Last edited by Howie; 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Suze, you did great remembering everything! Hope all is going well with you. We miss you when you don't check in.

Agate, I couldn't believe when I beat some of you here this morning. So unusual for me. I wonder if you going to the Farmer's Market helped with having a few groceries left. I thought about you today when I bought milk. If I had a way I would have gotten some for you also and beamed it to you, but I haven't learned that trick yet.

Howie, was looking forward to hearing about your new dish. But you are right Fridays are a good day to make some fresh food that will last through the week-end. I haven't had any of your thunder or rain today.

It was in the mid 90s today. I went out from 2:30 until 5:30. I know - it was a dumb thing to do, but there was something I had been putting off so I went.

Jeanie, I do hope Lacy is better now. I know she has been miserable.

Suze, I could buy food to take to the book club, but I have a real problem carrying everything and trying to climb the steps with my book, pocket book, food and everything. Then when they come here there is much to do. I think I better leave things as they are.
                  Virginia

Comment

Thank you for asking about Tuffy! He's doing quite well....gained two pounds, from a low of 7 pounds (thanks to the prednisone he's on). He's eating, drinking, begging for snacks....and right now hanging out with me in bed. A storm is lurking, and all three furkids are clinging to us... I'm just so happy that he is doing well.....

Anyway I have to close up shop here before we get struck by lightning or something..:)

Comment

Glad Tuffy has rebounded, Cat! Hope you don't lose power tonight.

Yes, that totally makes sense to me, Virginia, why it would just be too much to deal with, carrying or hosting. I can see that now. I have a weekly event during the summer that I more often than not fail to attend, I'm just too hot and it's too much hassle to get myself together to go, especially when it'll probably be too warm there anyway, and be too uncomfortable, and then there's the effort to get ready itself which will be too much really, needing to plan and organize in advance. Always having to weigh possible scenarios in my mind can become a tiring exercise in and of itself.

Hope your temps cool down too, quite the outing you undertook!
                      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Wonder how this went for Peg--from the June Chitchat thread:

Howdy,,

just got word from the infusion center,, they called and said July 5th I get my medicine, and to expect to be there by 7 am, and probally be there 5 to 6 hours,,,, that's half the dose, I go back 2 weeks later and get the other half
                        Hope you're doing OK there, Peg!

Good news about Tuffy, Cat! In fact, really great news since it sounds as if he's trying hard to get all his strength back.

Virginia, I can understand not wanting to bother with the book group either. Just getting through each day's necessary tasks seems to be a huge accomplishment, and often I don't want to add on any more "challenges." This is especially true in hot weather.

Maybe when cooler weather comes your way, you'll feel more like tackling the book group again.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Hi ,, yup,, had my infusion yesterday,, they gave me Benadral {sp},and solumedrol, 30 minutes before the med,,, the whole process took 5 hours, but this is just half a dose, the 19th I go get the other half, I see no change yet, except , I was wired, could not sleep, but this was only a half a dose,
                          " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Comment

Hey Peg, good to see you've gotten started. That's a long time to sit, but I guess you take a book or something to help the time pass.

I used to give blood plasma. They take out your blood, give it a whirl on a centrifuge to separate the plasma, and put the blood back in. It took a while, and you couldn't stand too quickly after, or you might pass out.

I take Benadryl every night as my sleep med. So don't fall asleep or those darn doctors might do who knows what to you!
                            Last edited by Howie; 07-07-2017, 06:15 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Glad to know you soldiered through that, Peg. Fingers crossed for it to be the right thing for you!

Comment

Peg, I am so hoping that this will turn out to be exactly what we all want for you, the very best. I bet it was the solumedrol that got you wired. Since it is something like Prednisone, I know that can sometime do that to people.

Cat, glad Tuffy has gained a couple of pounds. I hope TC is doing well also. You haven't had much to say about him lately. Does he have any more camping trips planned for this summer or early Fall?

Howie, have you got that food fixed yet? You might want to make a salad to go with it, if you plan to invite some of us to eat with you, and I am sure you do.
                                Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X