No announcement yet.

OT July Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virginia, did you decide to give up on the book club?
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

:) It is awful to have Lacy being chewed on by fleas. Andy came again today and gave her a bath and we set off fumigators in the house and went to the pet store for over an hour. When we came home he sprayed the back yard again and the carpet on the back porch.

When he was bathing her she had big fleas on her again, they are not baby fleas. At the pet store I got a natural repellant to put on her as the real one seems to have done nothing. Even with her pajamas on she has made several places almost raw from scratching. The people at the pet store said this is the worst flea season they have seen in years.

We will just keep trying and may be we will win the battle in the long run. Tomorrow we are supposed to go to Jim's for a cookout around noon. We will have to leave Lacy home if she has more fleas since Jim has 5 pets and no fleas. Andy will be 57 on the 5th. I am going to take a birthday cake tomorrow to Jim's. Jeanie :)

Comment

I think a vet can give a shot to kill fleas.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't heard of a shot but there's Capstar, a tablet that kills fleas.

Also there are the flea prevention treatments like Frontline and Advantage but they don't kill adult fleas. They just prevent fleas.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Howie, I seem to remember something about the Vet being able to do something about fleas. It has been so long since I had my dog I can't exactly remember, and for some reason she was not bad to get fleas. I am wondering if we gave her something to keep them down.

Agate, I did give up on the book club. I talked to a neighbor this morning and she said she was going to put a list in the mail for me for next year beginning in September. It will tell me where they are meeting and what book they were reading. However, she said she intended to keep getting me the book each month so I could read along with them, and then if I felt like coming I could. I just feel a lot of stress with that club when I think about going and trying to fix food and then trying to have everyone at my house. I am just not comfortable just going and not doing my share.

So, so hot here - in 90s. I saw rain forecast, but so far I haven't had any.
            Virginia

Comment

Nothing about fleas, but we made it to 91 degrees here. I'm so proud.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't deserted this board... I've just been, oh shoot, I forgot what I was going to say. We had hot days here a week ago, but then normal June weather came back as it melted into July.

I think the weather prediction for tomorrow was for the highs in the upper 70s - 80s, but now it's only looking like it will be in the low 70s. I'm not complaining, we had some super hot summers a few years in a row, but it looks like my region is cooling down to "normal" now.

I'm not going to complain, there's a reason I live in the Pacific northwest, I love the cooler temps. It plays nicely with my heat intolerance. My mom gave me her portable air conditioner. It's set up in my living room, just in case the hot weather comes back.

I am sunk in a mental funk lately, it seems that almost nothing is going right. I had received a couple calls about me potentially getting a couple caregivers, but they fell through. Having my power scooter is great, but it still takes what seems like forever to get things done.

Maybe it's Tom's death that I'm just having a hard time getting through. He was my other half, my comic relief, my rock to cling to. Now he's gone and I'm falling apart. Maybe I should talk to my doctor.

Mentally, I'm scattered. I keep losing things.
                s
                Jendie
                I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                  I haven't heard of a shot but there's Capstar, a tablet that kills fleas.

Also there are the flea prevention treatments like Frontline and Advantage but they don't kill adult fleas. They just prevent fleas.
                  My dog takes Comfortis to take care of fleas. It's a chewable that we get from his vet.
                  s
                  Jendie
                  I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

Comment

Hi jendie,
                    It's too bad that you've been going through a bad time. I've heard it takes at least a year to settle down after the death of someone very important in your life. If you let more time pass and slog on through it, you will find that gradually things are getting easier.

Meanwhile, this place is here, and we have some comic relief now and then. Baby birds too!

About that flea remedy you mentioned, I didn't know there was a chewable form of flea prevention available. That would be ever so much easier than the liquid I always had to get onto my cat's skin by drizzling it out of a little plastic container. Getting the top off the plastic container while holding onto a squirming cat wasn't so easy sometimes, and I ruined some of those pricey applicators.

A couple of them were defective too. I did these routines every month for many years. Each of the last two cats was strictly indoors and had flea prevention but still there was the occasional flea.

I saw only one flea but a couple of times there was a tapeworm, and so (I was told) there had to have been a flea. Treating the tapeworm was easy enough but also pricey.

Comment

Hi Jendie,

I was just thinking about you today -- wondering about that scooter.

The major loss in my life, so far, was my sister w en she was 48 and I was 46. It took a long time to recover. With that little bit of experience, I'd say it was perfectly normal for you to feel at loose ends. And, yes, see your doctor. Any help you can get.

Do you write in a journal? That practice has helped me process many things and find out things I did not know that I knew.

I hope you find a caregiver.
                      ANN
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Jendie, I also recommend reading some books on dealing with grief. I did after my husband passed away and it did help. Of course my Doctor knew so I didn't have to talk to him much. Time is really the biggest healer of all. Treat yourself as gently as you can. To the extent that you can do what you want to and nothing more. I was blessed that my MS had not become so active that I was in any way disabled, so I returned to work in six weeks. That and my dog were my saving grace.

The bad part was that when he got sick I quit a job that I loved to just be with him and take care of him. He lived six months and six weeks after that I had to get a new job. I decided on part-time, but it was a blessing to have something to go to. I know this is not an option for you, so try to think of anything else that might take up some of your time.

Ann, loosing a sister is certainly no small thing - it is very, very large.
                        Virginia

Comment

Grief is different for each person, and a person can grieve differently for each person lost. You just need to be gentle with yourself, not rush into things, just do what is necessary and not worry about the rest until it becomes necessary. Talking with someone is good, as is writing ... I don't know if you are religious, but sometimes ministers or priests can be helpful, or can direct you to grief counselors.

Comment

Joan Didion wrote an acclaimed book when she lost her husband , called The Year of Magical Thinking where she described losing her mind the first year.

I think it takes 2 years to climb out of unspeakable grief. And the first year is the toughest. Go easy on yourself, of course your mind is unraveling. And you have the added challenges of illness on top of it.

If you think it may help, go talk to a therapist. It can help to voice your feelings with an accepting person who won't be offended by your thoughts...

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                            Last edited by Sunshine; 07-04-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Jendie, my Aunt, who had also been widowed gave me a small book by C.S. Lewis called "A Grief Observed". Much later a movie was made out of that book. I found that it was small enough to get me started reading the things that I felt might help me. If you ever want to try it I feel sure the library would have it.
                              Virginia

Comment

Interesting that both those titles are mentioned in this article about books about grieving and mourning:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

And years ago I read an excellent book--Death, Grief and Mourning in Contemporary Britain by Geoffrey Gorer (1965). The author interviewed about 400 families and found that death is often denied or treated hastily, leaving the mourners with nowhere to turn for support when they need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X