Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, you are so smart - you know everything!

Ann, did you put your precious little pinkie in ice water and wrap it in a paper towel wet with Witch hazel? I feel like a veteran at this now. My finger still has a small white blister and it is numb, but I saved it.

Nuthatch, I just hope your house remains out of danger and you and DH along with it.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

we name our cattle,, everybody deserves a name,, we can't go around calling them "hey you" or "sirloin",, very undignified.. we have one ,we are going to butcher, we named her Millie.. I won't get to close to her,,its a name

I am doing all right,, no worries
    Last edited by Pegakafarmgirl; 07-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Hi Peg <waving>.

Nuthatch, build a moat?

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegakafarmgirl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we name our cattle,, everybody deserves a name,, we can't go around calling them "hey you" or "sirloin",, very undignified.. we have one ,we are going to butcher, we named her Millie.. I won't get to close to her,,its a name

I am doing all right,, no worries
    LOL!

Well, you COULD call them "sirloin"--or maybe "Tbone." A boy in my high school was always called Tbone (a nickname)--why not a cow's name as well?

Yet another trip down memory lane here--does anybody remember full-page ads in magazines that were comic strips about Elsie the Borden cow? And her husband Elmer and I think there were a couple of kids (calves?)?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I think we underestimate the brain power of animals, their ability to think, feel, reason, have empathy for..... It used to be that we separated humans from animal by suggesting that only humans used tools....then we discovered apes, other primates, other mammals, even some birds use them too. Then we said only humans can communicate with speech....until a gorilla learned and used sign language, and went on to teach it to another young ape. We said parrots only mimicked sound....until we realized they actually put together sentences that were self initiated.

And so on. Yes humans have evolved to be omnivores -- to eat other flesh, as well as plants and plant parts. Being a vegetarian or a vegan is difficult -- you have to pay attention to your diet to be sure to include enough of the essential elements for your survival.

As for what animals we eat and which we don't -- it has little to do with the animal and everything to do with custom, or religion, or culture, or an intricate combination of those. Jews and Muslims don't eat pork. We don't eat mutton much in the U.S., but it's eaten in other countries. We tend to eat lamb only in the spring -- tied to the Christian notion of "Jesus, Lamb of God", tied to the fact that spring is when lambs are born. Yet farm raised lamb is available all year, now, and often on Norwegian menues (and elsewhere)). The people in the highlands of the Philippines still eat dogs: 100 years ago it was common on the dinner table everywhere in the country, and in China. We don't eat horsemeat...but other countries do. Here we turn it into dog food

Think about all of that. Then think about plants...we're discovering that plants find ways to get their seeds to fall near other compatible plants, so as to benefit each other. There is some evidence that plants experience pain; and respond when talked to. I don't believe either of the last are true, by the way..

So what are we to do, if we are to survive? Realize that we, and every other living thing, are interconnected. That we, and every other living being depend on each other for our mutual survival, our very existence. Treat everything living as holy, however you might define that word. Treat all living things with care and compassion, even if it does mean killing them to survive. Do it swiftly, suddenly, cleanly, so the animal sufferers as little as possible. While it's alive treat it well, not because you want to fatten it for slaughter, but because you understand it, too, is a living thing.

Unless of course it is a mosquito. Or tick. Or flea. In which case, squash it flat.

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

What blows my mind is that there's so much evidence that animals grieve:

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/201...uniquely-human

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    ... Treat everything living as holy, however you might define that word. Treat all living things with care and compassion, even if it does mean killing them to survive. Do it swiftly, suddenly, cleanly, so the animal sufferers as little as possible. While it's alive treat it well, not because you want to fatten it for slaughter, but because you understand it, too, is a living thing.

Unless of course it is a mosquito. Or tick. Or flea. In which case, squash it flat.
    We could add cockroaches. I'd have no problem with that.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I went hiking in the deep woods one time, and every time I looked down, there was a tick crawling on me. So I took everything I was wearing off until I got to a more open area. It just made seeing them before they could dig in a whole lot easier. And yes, even the thong!
    Roswell was a gift.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Um, was anyone with you?

Sounds like a sensible idea though. Catch 'em before they have a chance to get too comfortable.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

No, all alone....that time. I lived not too far from a National Forest, and had a spot where I used to go camping. And it was located away from any lights from a city or town, and the nighttime sky was so beautiful. I miss seeing the stars that way.
    Roswell was a gift.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    And it was located away from any lights from a city or town, and the nighttime sky was so beautiful. I miss seeing the stars that way.
    I saw that once from the White Mountains in NH. It was amazing. Couldn't see lights from any city at all. I'll never forget it.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast