Thread: Newbie with questions

Default Newbie with questions

I had a cat scan on 6/12/17
    It says I have a colloid cyst that is a midline rounded 4x3 mm at the anterior aspect of the roof of the third ventricle
    I think this is small in size but I have headaches
    For the past 6 weeks that come every day
    And blurry vision getting worse
    At what point will they consider removing the cyst
    I don't see a neurologist until the end of august

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Joan1965)))))) ~

TO BRAINTALK!

I'm so sorry that you've been diagnosed with a colloid cyst and are experiencing headaches and blurred vision.

Unfortunately, I can't provide you with any information or guidance, as I'm not familiar with colloid cysts.

I'm glad you found us, and I hope others will stop by soon to help you.

Sending healing energy your way ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joan1965 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a cat scan on 6/12/17
    It says I have a colloid cyst that is a midline rounded 4x3 mm at the anterior aspect of the roof of the third ventricle
    I think this is small in size but I have headaches
    For the past 6 weeks that come every day
    And blurry vision getting worse
    At what point will they consider removing the cyst
    I don't see a neurologist until the end of august
    Welcome, Joan1965!

I'm afraid I don't know much about colloid cysts as I'm usually on the MS board here.

Since your symptoms seem to be getting worse, could you call that neurologist's office and ask to be notified if an earlier appointment slot opens up? Be sure to tell them about the worsening symptoms.

People do cancel, and under the circumstances you might be squeezed in sooner than August. Adjustments can be made in the schedules.

I hope you will try calling and asking.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Thanks to both of you
    I will call in the morning and see if they will see me sooner

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Default Colloid cyst 101

Hi Joan:

I'm sorry that you're now a member of the club. At that size, you may be advised to have serial imaging for observation to check for growth and hydrocephalus. Some centers have a standing policy of waiting until the cyst reaches 1 cm before they will consider a resection which is what it's called when they operate. A resection is when they remove a piece of bone in order to gain access to the brain either with microsurgery or with endoscopy. Having caught it early gives you an advantage. You have to make some decisions with your doctor, generally a neurosurgeon and not a neurologist. The smallest known size -- according to the literature -- to have caused sudden death is 1 cm discovered at autopsy. The neurosurgeon may be hesitant to operate as it stands because it's difficult to find such a small mass especially without any hydrocephalus. There are some steps that you can take while you wait for it to grow which it may or may not do. First, the headaches may go away with a prescription for decadron. It worked for me and my cyst was 2.5 cm. You can, at least, mention this drug to your doctor. It's used to treat inflammation. Also, you may want to see a neuro ophthalmologist to check on your optic nerve especially if you're already having blurry vision. And finally, you may want to get a baseline neuropsychological evaluation in case you ever do have surgery, they will have something on file to compare with. Find a good neurosurgeon preferably with experience with both microsurgical techniques and with the endoscope. Then you can discuss all your various options with him or her.

Good luck and good health,
    Matthew

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

New Community Member

Well I agree with what levi said in his response to you. I had migraines for three days when they discovered the colliod cyst and I had hydrocephalus which was causing pressure in my head, dizzyiness,nausea. I was admitted to my local hospital and airlifted to a bigger city Seattle WA to the surgery hospital which deals with all kinds of Brain surgeries all the time. A colloid cyst is something you have had since birth and they are found in the 3rd ventricle. They say that most people start having issue between 20-50. They drained and removed mine endoscpoically. I feel blessed that my surgery was only 1 1/2 hour with a recovery before going back into my room in 1 1/2 hour too. I passed all the tests and went home four days later. There is hope with colloid cyst. I would suggest talking to a nurosurgeon too.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"