Keep on Moving Club: June 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on Moving Club: June 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

Maybe made progress today. I swam for 8-10 minutes: 260 yards which is 2.5 football fields. Then I drove 5 minutes to Publix.

It was a first that there were no motorized carts available. The only place to sit was in the ante room which was only partially air-conditioned. No chairs or bench in the main store.

As I hit the 10 minute mark, I could feel some increasing weakness, maybe from the heat. The hard part was that I did not know how long I would have to wait for the cart, so I worried.

Luckily, somebody came out with a cart. So I shopped for 10 minutes and drove home. Now I am resting. So far , I do not have any spasms or increased pain. This is a definite improvement over the past week.

Comment

Glad to hear this good news, Bbs!
      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Wonderful BBS! By the way, I was in the Fresh Market this afternoon and I saw a cart there with a tremendously large basket in front, so I didn't need to ask if they have handicap carts at that store. We were on that discussion once before.
        Virginia

Comment

Nice Virginia!
          My girlfriend drove me to neuro this morning, preserving my legs. Felt good at noon, so I swam 260 Yards. If lightning holds off, DH will drive me to the ocean and try out the parks free ocean worthy wheelchair.

And who knows? Maybe I can paddle around for five minutes :)

Comment

My DH loaded me and my gear up in my surfmobile and drove me to my beach, 50 minutes away. He pushed me in a beach wheelchair to the ocean. My buddies loaded me on one of their longboards in the shallows. It was crowded in the beach because it was only the second day of decent swell in the past couple of weeks,

The waves were glassy thigh high and beautiful, water was cool as was the air due to offshore tstorms. I paddled out to the lineup, turned around and spotted a gentle wave coming my way. I paddled for it and got it!

I dearly wanted to stand up, but stayed prone. That's my only regret. There is a lot of legaction staying on a wave lying down as you constantly shift body up and down the board. But of course, with the riding standing up, you have the problemat the end of the ride. So, really, I made the right choice.

Th beach and ocean erupted with shouts and fist pumping, only matches by my own shouts during the ride itself. It was a wonderful thing being in ocean again, and also a real morale booster.

While it was clear how sick I really am from how I felt, and feel now as I try to recover, at the ocean, I was not a sick person, I was a surfer showing ambition. I felt like this guy:

IMG_2617.jpg
            Last edited by Sunshine; 06-03-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Great BBS! DH is a treasure for being there.
              Virginia

Comment

Bravo, BBS! That's true determination driving you and it just may be helping you to recover faster. You have another day of surfing to look forward to, and so you're probably doing everything you can to get past the recovery phase that MS imposes.

My pedometer readings for May averaged 1438 steps a day, which is 138 more steps per day than in April. That was figured for 22 days in May because of a pedometer problem I was having.

I hope to be less busy soon and catch up here.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Terrific agate!

Comment

Agate that is really great. I got one. I think it is like yours, a 3D FitBud. I think something is wrong with mine. Today is the 6th day that I have worn it. The first two days I just did 748 and 718. Wednesday when I mopped and vacuumed I did 1046. But then Thursday I went to K-Mart where I walked in to the Pharmacy from the parking lot and through a little of the store. I went to beauty shop but that was not much walking, but then I went to Harris Teeter grocery and I walked from one side to the other and down several isles, the I went on to Fresh Market where I also walked from one end to the other and down a couple of isles. I came home and unloaded the groceries and fixed something to eat. The pedometer only registered 1074 for the day.

Yesterday I didn't do much, but still just general walking around the house I thought would be more than what I ended up with which was 288. So far today I am only showing 136. I fixed breakfast this morning and I am in the process of fixing beef stew, which required me to be in the kitchen earlier today cutting and washing things. So in my opinion I think I have a problem. What do you think?
                    Virginia

Comment

Hm . Try an experiment. Count your steps as you take them until you get to 50 or 100. Then see if the pedometer agrees with your count. That might tell you if the pedometer is faulty.

Such a strange disease where my MS is mild and yet I cannot do what people can do with more severe forms of the disease. So much variability in the disease course.

Here is a picture of someone at a wounded warrior surfing event. It's the same IMG_2830.jpgchair I used today.

Also, I just heard someone got a very gnarly shark bite at my break today after I left. Maybe it was lucky I couldn't stay in long? Might've been me...

Comment

Virginia, are you wearing the pedometer around your neck or in your pocket? It might make a difference.

I'm not sure but am wondering if some fabrics are harder for the pedometer to "read" through. I've been wearing it in my pants pocket but have noticed that one pair of pants gives much lower readings than I expected, and it's always the same pants that do that. I was having problems with that pair of pants with the old pedometer too. It was worn on the waistband but it still would have had to be up against the same fabric.

As BBS suggested, counting my steps and comparing that result with the pedometer result is the way I use to check on it.

Maybe you weren't taking very many steps if you were in the kitchen fixing something. When I stand around in the kitchen, it doesn't count for much on the pedometer, but if I walk through the building just to take out the trash, I register quite a few steps. The 3D Fit Bud records only 10 consecutive steps. If you're in the kitchen taking 4 steps from the sink to the stove, pause, then 3 steps to the refrigerator, pause--none of that will count.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

...Warning...Idea Guy...

I don't know what these devices even look like, or how they fit, but wouldn't it be the most accurate if you wore it in your sock, or strapped to an ankle?
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                            ...Warning...Idea Guy...

I don't know what these devices even look like, or how they fit, but wouldn't it be the most accurate if you wore it in your sock, or strapped to an ankle?
                            You would think that that would work best but I haven't seen one that uses that type of fit. It might be too easily knocked around by banging into things on the ankle--?

Comment

...Bad Idea Guy...

Yeah, you're right...as usual...show off!
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X