Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driverless cars again

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Driverless cars again

A while back there was a discussion of driverless cars that are being tried out in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't find the posts but I recently read an interesting article about them, "Our Driverless Future" by Sue Halpern (New York Review of Books, November 14, 2016):

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016...rs-road-ahead/

It sounds as if the transition to driverless cars is going to be almost impossible. And this part is a bit unsettling:

In the words of the Morgan Stanley analysts, whose enthusiasm is matched by advocates in Silicon Valley and cheerleaders in Detroit, driverless vehicles will deliver us to a “utopian society.”
    That utopia looks something like this: fleets of autonomous vehicles—call them taxi bots—owned by companies like Uber and Google, able to be deployed on demand, that will eliminate, for the most part, the need for private car ownership. ...

The built environment will improve as well, as road signs are eliminated—smart cars always know where they are and where they are going—and parking spaces, having become obsolete, are converted into green spaces. And if this weren’t utopian enough, the Morgan Stanley analysts estimate that switching to full vehicle autonomy will save the United States economy alone $1.3 trillion a year.
    Road signs eliminated? They're talking about a world where all cars are driverless. I can't imagine traditional car drivers getting along without road signs.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

There are just too many things that could go wrong. I don't see it happening.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I couldn't do it. The bad thing is the "other guy" might be.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

When the country gets sidewalk curb cuts right, then we will have a realistic national discussion about driverless cars.
    Good lord, drinking and not driving.

I'm going back into hiding.
    BE WELL.

"Don't drive like my brother", "NO, don't drive like my brother!""
    Last edited by renee; 05-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Just a follow-up to the driverless car question. One of Uber's driverless cars mowed down a pedestrian and killed him in Arizona, and so now there might be less enthusiasm for driverless cars:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1GV296

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cool

Well, there you go! The whole concept is playing with fire. I enjoy driving and don't care to have the car drive me.....or kill me.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I have wondered how safe this is all along. I really don't see driverless cars anywhere in the near future. The technology is still too new.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I agree. And mightn't they have to redesign and rebuild highways and just about everything else? How in the world can a transportation system accommodate driverless cars at the same time as it's accommodating driver-driven cars? And surely there couldn't be an overnight changeover from one type to the other. There'd be a long time during which both types of cars would be sharing the same roads, seems to me.

Bumping into each other, no doubt.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I hope they don't get too prolific on the roads until I stop driving, and I would like that to be quite awhile. Of course I don't know. I do not see how they could operate in the traffic around here. My nephew was traveling last week and posted a picture on FB going around Atlanta and said it was bumper to bumper traffic. I wrote back and told him I had been on 440 which is our inner beltline two days before and it was just like that. He said he agreed that traffic in Raleigh is terrible. I don't know why unless this whole area is growing faster than our infrastructure can even come close to taking care of. There doesn't seem to be any off hours around here anymore. I just do not see a driverless car handling that, but maybe I am just not one to trust technology that much. If we have trouble keeping our phones and computers, etc working the way they should how could we possible trust something like a car.

I spoke too soon above, I found out one of my brothers has one. His keeps the car in the white lines on the road and if anything comes too close it automatically slows down or puts on brakes. He uses it a little on the highway, but it is not meant for in town use I don't think.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thumbs down

I've recently seen that Uber is developing a driverless 18 wheeler. Yippee!!!

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast