Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I have a question about changing your name & I'm not sure where I should ask this.

  1. #1

    Default I have a question about changing your name & I'm not sure where I should ask this.

    Hi, my grandson is 16. I have full custody of him since my son died. My grandson wants to change his last name to my last name. I'm not sure where to go or what to do. His mom lives across the state & has no contact with him at all, by her own choice. I don't know if my grandson will need her permission or not. I don't even know what her address is. I hope it isn't very expensive. Thank you for any information that someone here may have.

  2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

  3. #2
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Red Sox Nation :D


    dear c rainbows,

    It depends on what state you are in and possibly the courts since the child is 16. Have you searched under "change name" + the state you are in?

    In my state it is legal to simply change your name w no court involvement as long as it is not for a fraudulent reason. For your grandson, I would think it would also involve the age of majority in your state.

    The best to you,
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

  4. The following user says "thanks"

  5. #3
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Blog Entries


    Just as an example, here's the NY state guideline on name changes (though the Webpage was last updated 2 years ago):

    Your grandson might need his mother's permission but notifying her at her last known address might be the way to start that process.

    Sometimes lawyers will give a half hour of free legal advice if you present yourself as a possible client. You might be able to get the answer you're looking for in that way.

  6. #4
    Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Blog Entries


    ((((((chasin rainbows)))))) ~

    Back to BrainTalk!

    Here is information about name changing by state:

    Hope you can find the information your grandson needs.

    Love & Light,

    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

Similar Threads

  1. Question;
    By Ponygirl in forum Epilepsy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
  2. changing name
    By houghchrst in forum BrainTalk's feedback forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM
  3. Changing signature
    By ssusan in forum BrainTalk's feedback forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

BTC Inc's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy

The material on this site is for information & support purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice provided by a licensed health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything that you find online.