Thread: I have a question about changing your name & I'm not sure where I should ask this.

Default I have a question about changing your name & I'm not sure where I should ask this.

Hi, my grandson is 16. I have full custody of him since my son died. My grandson wants to change his last name to my last name. I'm not sure where to go or what to do. His mom lives across the state & has no contact with him at all, by her own choice. I don't know if my grandson will need her permission or not. I don't even know what her address is. I hope it isn't very expensive. Thank you for any information that someone here may have.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

dear c rainbows,

It depends on what state you are in and possibly the courts since the child is 16. Have you searched under "change name" + the state you are in?

In my state it is legal to simply change your name w no court involvement as long as it is not for a fraudulent reason. For your grandson, I would think it would also involve the age of majority in your state.

The best to you,
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just as an example, here's the NY state guideline on name changes (though the Webpage was last updated 2 years ago):

http://nycourts.gov/Courthelp/NameCh...mechange.shtml

Your grandson might need his mother's permission but notifying her at her last known address might be the way to start that process.

Sometimes lawyers will give a half hour of free legal advice if you present yourself as a possible client. You might be able to get the answer you're looking for in that way.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

((((((chasin rainbows)))))) ~

Back to BrainTalk!

Here is information about name changing by state:

https://namechange.uslegal.com/name-...laws-by-state/

Hope you can find the information your grandson needs.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.