Thread: High intensity exercising to combat MS fatigue...very interesting.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default High intensity exercising to combat MS fatigue...very interesting.

High-intensity interval ergometer training improves aerobic capacity and fatigue in patients with Multiple Sclerosis

Stephan Schmidt1, Marc Wonneberger2 1Gesundheitszentrum St.Johannes, 2DAA Gesundheit und Soziales, Schule für Physiotherapie Gummersbach

Objective: To determine the effects of short-term high intensity interval training (HIIT) on aerobic fitness and fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).

Background: Physical activity has a positive effect on a variety of attendant symptoms associated with MS. Moderate endurance exercise has been preferentially recommended, but the effects of HIIT are largely unknown.

Design/Methods: 40 patients with relapsing-remitting MS and an EDSS of < 3.5 exercised for eight weeks on a bicycle-ergometer three times weekly according to two different protocols (HIIT versus moderate endurance training) in a prospective monocentric, randomized, simple blinded cohort study. Measurements were taken at baseline and after eight weeks of training. Individual aerobic fitness was assessed by steep ramp anaerobic test (SRAT), fatigue by the Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS), depression by the ADS-L questionnaire, a German version of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale (CES-D), sleep quality according to the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) and ambulation was measured by the Timed 25-Foot Walk Test (T25-FW) .

Results: 29 patients completed the program. FSS decreased significantly after HIIT (p=0.04) but not after moderate training. Moreover, aerobic fitness increased significantly in the HIIT group (p<0.01). No changes with regard to ADS-L, PQSI and T25FW were detected in both subgroups independent of the presence or absence of fatigue.

Conclusions:
    HIIT is a promising time-efficient approach in subjects with MS leading to rapid improvement of aerobic fitness and fatigue.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These people weren't so very disabled but it looks as if the results were good for many of them.

I wonder what type of bicycle ergometer was used. It might have been that rather simple gizmo I had for a while but gave away because I didn't think it was helping me much. On the other hand, the much larger and more sophisticated machine used during PT sessions did seem to help.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These people weren't so very disabled but it looks as if the results were good for many of them.

I wonder what type of bicycle ergometer was used. It might have been that rather simple gizmo I had for a while but gave away because I didn't think it was helping me much. On the other hand, the much larger and more sophisticated machine used during PT sessions did seem to help.
    The post was by Dave Bexfield??sp. who hosts the ACtive Mser site. He is PPMS.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

It sounds like the results mirror the impact of HIIT on healthy people as well. Seems like many MS people are too disabled to be able to do high interval training?

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

No size fits all but this is good news for many.
    Linda~~~~

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"