Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair hunt

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, I wouldn't be separated from my shopping cart for very long or I'd suffer from withdrawal problems. It's more or less like this but a little bigger. It folds up.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I considered one that was more like that, but ended up getting one that has the stair climber wheels. It has 3 wheels on each leg the best I can remember from last night. I just hope it is light weight and easy to fold and that the bag that comes with it opens wide enough to get all my groceries and packages in.

I have to hold on to the banister with one hand when going up or down stairs, so this will hopefully free up one of my hands to do this.

I can just see my neighbors watching and probably saying to one another "She finally figured it out". Little will they know that it was the people on here that gave me ideas.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Why do I love the motorized carts like I use at the grocery store so much? I wouldn't use the carts like you guys seem to like.

I used the normal carts at the store, until I fell one time. It was embarrassing to say the least. So I use the motorized ones now.

But, I still walk back into the house, and again, I fell once. I did the butt crawl to get back inside. I would toss the bags ahead of me, then as I caught up to them, toss them again, until I made it indoors.

Now, I break up my grocery shopping to 2 small trips instead of the marathon 1 trip for everything. Since changing to this strategy, I've had no problems at all.

Where there's a will, there's a way!
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Good strategy!

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia, great idea!

Please let us know how it works out, if it fits the need!

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks Suze-Q, I am looking forward to doing my first big grocery run and then coming home and instead of making 3 trips to car and back, just putting all my stuff in the bag on the cart and rolling it easily down my walk, up my stairs and into my house. This is pretty much how the write-up for the dolly trolley went so naturally everything always goes the way the ads say.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All my adult life I wouldn't have been without a shopping cart. An ordinary 4-wheeled one can be dragged up and down stairs though it can be a project if it's a heavy load. I couldn't have survived without a shopping cart. And hauling a cart several blocks through snow isn't easy but it can be done--it's just much slower.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I received my shopping cart today. It is light weight and was easy to put together. I like the bag that hangs on it, assuming it is big enough for everything when I come in from the grocery store. I think that it is. I have not yet tried it going up and down steps. It was hot here today and I did not go out. I have to go out tomorrow and I am hoping that I will feel up to grocery shopping while I am out. I need to replenish some things. Will let all of you know how it works. Agate it is not nearly as large as yours, but then it is shaped differently. I do not need one for laundry, since my laundry room is right here on my downstairs floor. The only thing I can think of that I need it for is carrying my groceries and other packages in.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

I hope that your new cart works perfectly and meets your needs. I will look forward to your update. May you have cooler weather for your shopping trip tomorrow.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks Rose for the wish for cooler weather for my shopping, but it didn't happen.

Anyway, I had to go to two grocery stores and I had nine plastic bags of groceries. A number were double bagged because they were heavy. I stopped on the way in and picked up my mail (first time this week) so I was loaded down with catalogs and other things. I would have needed one trip just for mail. Anyway, I got my trolly dolly out of the trunk and proceeded to load it down. I ended up having to carry part of my mail, 1 bag of giant size cheerios, which do not weigh much and my pocket book. The cart was weighted down, so when I got in front of my steps I took the cheerios, mail in my hand, and pocket book and put it inside the house. Then I went back out and pulled the cart up the stairs. I pulled it by walking backward and holding on to he banister. It was still easier than if I had had to carry them by hand from the car.

I had quite a few heavy things today and quite a few bulky things. So all in all I was quite satisfied.

Before I started on my rounds I received a package from UPS just left on my porch. It was very large - larger than the one my cart came in and much more heavy. It should have gone to a house a couple of doors down from me, but to get to it you have to walk down my sidewalk and then turn and go two doors
    down. I could not have carried the box (I thought it was something like Howie would get). It was for a motorcycle. Anyway, I just pushed my bag to the back of my cart and set the box on the tray at the bottom and wheeled that box down my stairs, over to their house and dumped it off.

I told the girls in the Dentist office about it today and they looked them up on Amazon. They liked the one I got and one girl is ordering one for her Mother-in-law. I do like mine.

Thanks everyone for thinking of it.
    Last edited by Virginia; 05-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Virginia

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast