Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair hunt

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia,

Could you just leave the walker in the trunk of your car (if you have a secure trunk)? They fold up nicely and it isn't arduous to pull it out or put it back in, - a long time ago, I'd take my grandmother and put her walker/rollater in the trunk, then pull it out so we could run errands or go shopping together. It never felt like a real chore to get it in and out, it was like lifting a piece of luggage into or out of my trunk.

It seemed quite easy to manage getting it in and out. You could just go out to a mobility place and test folding it up and lifting it to trunk level to see how comfortable you are with it.

You'd still need to get your groceries into your house on your own, but at least you'd have it when you're out and about. The basket helps too to put your stuff in as you're walking around.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good idea, SuzE-Q.

The rollator I have is said to weigh 20 lbs. but it weighs considerably less. It's 17 lbs. at most. I'm not sure I'd want to carry it up or down very many stairs because of the nature of the beast.

It's not just its weight. It's that I'd probably get tangled up in its legs or wheels somehow and go down. I wouldn't trust myself unless it was a very very good day.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Ann, I have looked at just such condos as you are talking about. In this area they are enormously expensive and would cost much more than I would clear from the sale of my townhome. I am not sure I am physically up to a move at this time.

Suze-Q good to see you back. I have thought of doing exactly what you are talking about. I would have to know that I could get it into my trunk and out. It would not help with anything other than going into stores, but not grocery store. I try to buy for a week when I can if I am at the grocery store. Then if I am feeling bad I don't have to worry for a little while. Once I am in the grocery store the cart I am pushing helps a little. I do not want to ride one of the carts that Howie uses because I am so awkward now that I can promise I would run into people and food and everything else. Maybe I should have practiced while I was in better shape, but of course at that time I didn't know what it would be like to be any worse. I guess I was hoping for the best and not preparing for the worse.
    Last edited by Virginia; 05-12-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

Would a stair climbing utility cart help you carry your groceries (and other items) up your stairs?

https://www.google.com/search?q=stai...utf-8&oe=utf-8

My other thought is placing a ramp over your stairs, although that might require approval, if you have a homeowner's association.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Rose, it would require approval for a ramp. My neighbors and I have discussed this. We are not supposed to put one on the front and the back of my house is high and the ramp would need to go part way around the house and still would not reach my walk, so I would be on rough ground until I could walk to the walkway.

I like the rolling cart and think that I will order one. This would be mostly for carrying my groceries. The first one that comes up for $39.99 looks pretty good. If anyone has time take a look and see if you think any others might work better or be better to handle. I wonder if this bag is large enough. There is another one further down that cost over $100.00, but I am not sure how much better that would be. Maybe if any of you have had any experience with one of these and have time to look you might could tell me your thoughts.

Thanks so much for the ideas.
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Virginia, look them up on amazon. Read the reviews.

This is a good idea to help w the groceries but doesn't address balance and stability.

Good luck,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you're talking about a rollator? How much I could carry in it was a big issue for me. I found out by looking at just about every rollator on Amazon that the detachable baskets tend to be small.

When I got the actual rollator I realized that there's a reason for that. If you load too much onto the cart, it gets off balance and can tip over. However, I can trundle a washer load of laundry along with a medium-size bottle of liquid detergent to the laundry room here by putting them on my rollator. The bottle goes into the basket and the laundry bag goes on the seat.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Call your NMSS chapter they may have grant $$$ for this. It's only a phone call.
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Agate, I am thinking about the rolling cart just to get groceries into the house. I almost always have to make at least a couple of trips out to the car to get the groceries in. So that is all I want it for. Or possibly any small packages that I might have picked up at the drug store when I go there as well as grocery store. By the time I get my groceries in sometime I am almost crawling my legs are so heavy. If I have a couple of errands and then the grocery store it is hard. Also I usually stop at my mailbox and pick up my mail and I am always dropping mail and things coming up the walk because I try to carry more than I should to keep from making more trips than I have to out to the car.

Ann, that's a good idea about looking them up on Amazon. I like to order from there anyway. I can get reviews.

Thanks Jan, I don't bother with our NMSS. They do not have the reputation of helping people who really need it and I can afford the cart, so I wouldn't want to take something that could go to someone who could not afford something like this.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Well, I just ordered a trolley dolly pull cart from Amazon. Some good and some bad reviews, but seem like they all had that. I will receive it in two days so that is not bad. While I was on there I could not resist buying another kindle book. I got a brown bag for mine.
    Virginia

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast