Thread: The Orange Book (are generics really equivalent?)

Distinguished Community Member

Default The Orange Book (are generics really equivalent?)

I didn't know what to call this thread but I wanted us to have this info to refer to as needed (no pun). It was posted last year in BT's Chronic Pain forum by Pharmacist.steve: http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...rmer-Rockhound

The discussion was about generics that were not effective or had side effects that the trade named drug did not. This can be looked up!

"There is something called the "Orange Book" which rates all approved medications by the FDA.. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/informatio.../ucm129662.htm

Here is a FDA website to report what they determine as a Therapeutic Failure... http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script.../consumers.htm which seems to describe what you are experiencing
    If this medication is not rated/listed in the Orange Book... it is ILLEGAL to dispense."

I remember Joy tell me that generic Cymbalta did not work for her. Her neurologist told her to double the dose. I think it is interesting that this book exists and surprised that I never heard of it.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-06-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Corrected link
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I have a RX for 1 mg Xanax and the generic they use does nothing. They refuse to switch me back to the real one. The Daypro 600 I used to take for arthritis generic is no good either. I just quit taking them altogether. Jeanie :)

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most generics work pretty much the same as the brand names but I guess there are some exceptions.

I have some generic Xanax 0.5mg here but haven't ever taken it. I might get up the courage to try it one of these days, now that Jeanie has said her generic Xanax 1 mg does nothing for her. My generic 0.5 mg Xanax might do nothing for me, and I could forget about it and toss it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Now we can look them up by manufacturer.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I will get a new Rx soon for Levothyroxine and I can look it up. With the, yet to be determined, status of weather or not I am hypothyroid maybe I can find out if changing the Levothyroxine might be it. It was changed with last Rx.
    Virginia

10. The following user says "thanks"