Keep on Moving Club: May 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on Moving Club: May 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

I went for a swim in pool today. Resting now.

Comment

I tallied up the pedometer readings for April and averaged them. I averaged 1308 steps in April with totals for each of the 30 days. That's not as good as March (1419) but now that I know this bad news, I may be inspired to try harder this month.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Yesterday I worked transplanting basil plants. While I worked I stretched this way and that. Good day's work. Today I am having a dead day. Barely moving.

It may not be moving but I did exercise my brain this morning to write a thank you note.. one of my longtime customers came to market last Saturday with a compilation of many writings about dogs! It really showed tremendous effort and appreciation of dogs. I wrote a letter commenting on his effort and admiring the final book he created. What I wrote came out well. My brain got a workout.
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Today I saw the neuro, so I did not exercise. Driving a car seems to really stress out the leg muscles!

The plan is to surf in the morning if the waves hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
            Yesterday I worked transplanting basil plants. While I worked I stretched this way and that. Good day's work. Today I am having a dead day. Barely moving.

It may not be moving but I did exercise my brain this morning to write a thank you note.. one of my longtime customers came to market last Saturday with a compilation of many writings about dogs! It really showed tremendous effort and appreciation of dogs. I wrote a letter commenting on his effort and admiring the final book he created. What I wrote came out well. My brain got a workout.
            I enjoy all of your ur gardening adventures! I do some limited container gardening. I also do very limited weeding around hedge. I lay a tarp on the ground. I lie down on my side or stomach and weed for five minutes. Then I pull myself up by s step stool in order to get to the feet. I used to love weeding: so zen, and so outdoorsy!

Comment

Showed up Friday for surfing. It was lightning, so that was a bust, sure was pretty though....yesterday we tried again. It was freezing cold and windy, and there were no waves, so I just paddled around for 5 minutes to get salty.

Today was much better, it was very cold, for Florida, but sunny and no wind. The forecast was for "flat", no rideable waves. But for a while there were indeed waves, about knee high, semi clean.i caught one nice wave. Here I am 7 hours later and just recovered. It was worth it.

I ran into my beach friend with MS. She was marveling how great I look and vice versa. We both laughed and said how we can say it to each other, but when someone else says it to us, its mixed feelings.

Why do you think that so many of us don't like it when people say, "But you look great"?

Comment

BBS, I am so glad you got in a little surfing today and that you ran into the friend with MS.

I know when others have, in the past, said I looked so good or so great, and that I was the perfect picture of health, I felt they did not believe me if I said how I really felt. Frankly, I haven't had anyone say that in awhile, so I may be getting to that stage when I do not look so good. Also, it really shows they nothing about MS and the real ramifications of having it.
                Virginia

Comment

Why do you think that so many of us don't like it when people say, "But you look great"?
                  I haven't minded it. It's the "But" that might raise an eyebrow or two. It's almost as if the person is saying, "I don't believe you have MS."

I'm glad if somebody thinks I look great/fantastic/ years younger than my age, etc. All too often I've looked in a mirror and seen someone with facial features distorted and drooping and a deathly pallor. If I don't look like a zombie, I'm thrilled.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
                    Showed up Friday for surfing. It was lightning, so that was a bust, sure was pretty though....yesterday we tried again. It was freezing cold and windy, and there were no waves, so I just paddled around for 5 minutes to get salty.

Today was much better, it was very cold, for Florida, but sunny and no wind. The forecast was for "flat", no rideable waves. But for a while there were indeed waves, about knee high, semi clean.i caught one nice wave. Here I am 7 hours later and just recovered. It was worth it.

I ran into my beach friend with MS. She was marveling how great I look and vice versa. We both laughed and said how we can say it to each other, but when someone else says it to us, its mixed feelings.

I was visiting with an old friend who said that very thing to me. I looked so well. Because he was a real friend I immediately told him that MSers like me really find that comment annoying.

Then I asked him why it was annoying. Without hesitation he said that I was annoyed because it diminished the serious nature of MS. I knew right away that he had the right answer. It is the unspoken assumption that we find disturbing.
                    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Yes, Linda I had not thought of it, but that is correct I think most of us do feel it diminishes the serious nature of the disease.

Glad you explained it in a way I can understand.
                      Virginia

Comment

Laz, that makes sense.

I put a tarp on the ground and lay down on my side this morning and weeded for a little bit. That was satisfying. It seems like being outside really settles the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
                          Laz, that makes sense.

I put a tarp on the ground and lay down on my side this morning and weeded for a little bit. That was satisfying. It seems like being outside really settles the mind.
                          Good for you! I am trying hard but not doing too much. I see my neurologist today. Hope to set up infusions for June. I am running out of steam.

I have been crawling around inside the house with a bucket and cloths and I am washing these farmhouse floors. Even that is making me tired!
                          Linda~~~~

Comment

Man, you do more than most healthy people!

Comment

I went for a brief swim yesterday. No spasms after. Maybe the higher Baclofen dose is helping that.

Comment

Working...
                              X