Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thread: .OT May Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Too old to drive? Is there a law in VA about that? Here in PA, Mom took special tests and she is still driving at 91!

Another hot and muggy day here in PA and just hot back in Boston.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another hot and muggy day here in PA and just hot back in Boston.
    We live in Hudson and our air conditioning went out yesterday. They sent someone over and they did a temporary fix they said should hold until they come back on Thurs. Oy, what a week!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Vicky hope that A/C holds out until a permanent fix can take place.

I think I will call the Dentist office the first of the week and just tell them that while I was surprised at the time I paid them, I have kept thinking about it in my mind and it just seems so out of reach. Cat, I do know that this Dentist does not give discounts and they do not take monthly payments. You have to have insurance, that they accept, or pay in full at time of service rendered.

Ann, that weather is so hot it scares me. I am afraid we might get something like that. I guess shortly we will all be seeing temperatures about like that. Ohoooo, give me back my winter.

By the way Ann have you and Mom been having an occasional cool one since you and Peter have been visiting this time?
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, your dentist's office may have told you that they have a policy of not granting discounts or allow monthly payments, but was that a while ago, and maybe said in a general way?

They may have a stated policy, but they may also be willing to bend that policy a bit for an established patient they want to keep.

I've had it happen time and again. If I've been with a medical provider for a while and they've had a chance to sniff me over and find that I'm not a complete deadbeat, they somehow find ways of making the payments easier.

Another way of handling this would be to tell them that you'll pay $5/month or more when you can arrange it. As I understand it, they can't argue with that or try to sue you as long as you keep up with those payments.

--I was going to get my diabetic shoes today with a scheduled trip to the podiatrist. It's been a long wait for the shoes (weeks) and I was eager to get them because there are also 3 sets of "custom orthotics" for use in my two other pairs of diabetic shoes.

It was the world's most beautiful weather, and I waited for the paratransit van. Time passed and it didn't come, and after I'd waited the regulation half hour, I called and had a long wait on the phone (about 15 minutes) only to find out that any ride they could send would get me there 45 minutes after my scheduled time.

Since I've been to this place only a couple of times, I didn't want to do this to them. Maybe I could have called and they'd have agreed to see me that late but most places have their schedules all set up and like to stick to them.

So I cancelled the ride and then hustled back to my apartment to call to cancel the appointment. I never did find out what happened to my ride--why it didn't show up. I'll never know. But on Monday I'll try again.

Monday it's supposed to be 91' but I should be home by 2 PM. The really hot part of the day seems to be later in the afternoon.

I was so irritated about having to cancel the appointment today that I grabbed my rollator and went for a walk in the neighborhood, the first time I've done that in months.

I walked for about 20 minutes, not wanting to overdo. It went a lot better this year than last year at this time, when I was still getting over the fall I had in March 2016.

Too old to drive? I never heard of that. My neighbor who is 95 still maintains her car and hopes to resume driving it. She probably won't be driving it but she has hopes, and I'm pretty sure there's no law saying she'd be too old.
    Last edited by agate; 05-19-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I just figured they had an age related cut-off for driving. But come to think of it, I had a grandmother that drove right up until she died. I do have many of her genes, so who knows? Sam, get my driving thong out, I'm going for a ride!

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Virginia, we have not had any Blue Moon Beer this trip. Peter has had wine w dinner most nights.

Vicky, what a bad week for the air conditioning to go out. At least we have cooler weather coming starting tomorrow (here and home).

Agate, I have had that experience of the no-show ride too many times. I've had it not come and I have also had it not show up to bring me home. I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't use para- transit anymore. I just use Uber or the bus.

Good night, Howie, how are the girls?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

The girls are fine, taking their naps before we go to bed.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, this Dentist office definitely does not take payments from anyone. I am a well established patient who has always paid very well, but it would not matter. That is just their policy and they do not change it. I happened to have it in my checking this month, so I paid by debit card. If I had not had it I would have paid them with a credit card and paid it off the first of the month in order to avoid interest charges.

A twenty minute walk is a good one Agate. I am so glad it went better for you this year. Your exercising is paying off.

Howie, the girls are not napping before bedtime. They are napping so they can try to keep you up later.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) My prayers were answered. I have my van back and it is fixed. $943.95 for it all. I have Visa. They put in a button for the horn as taking out the steering column with all the accessible features would be difficult.

Andy came and took me to get it and then I went to Publix for groceries. It is only 92 so far today. I feel so happy to be mobile again. I don't have anywhere I have to be but it is comforting to know I can go if I need to. Jeanie :)

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yay for your van repair, Jeanie!

But "only 92 so far today"? Eek!

There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast