Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fosomax, anyone?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Possible ways of helping or preventing osteoporosis without taking Fosamax seem to include eating yogurt. I'm so glad I found this because I eat 6 oz. of yogurt daily.

"Yogurt Consumption in Older Adults Linked to Better Bone Health" in Medical News Today (May 11):

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/317384.php
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

That's great news! While the article states that further study is needed, it makes sense that yogurt would benefit bone density and growth.

Now, add a tablespoon of flax seed oil to the yogurt, and you're getting all of the vital Omegas. Flax seed oil is beneficial in preventing and treating cancer.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I was hoping it might help. Agate, I also eat six ounces of plain Greek yogurt each day. I usually have that for lunch. I have been eating yogurt for lunch for years. When I worked I kept yogurt in the little refrigerator we kept at work.
    Virginia

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I was eating yoghurt for awhile then got tired of it. I should start that again...

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cat, sometime I get tired of it, but then I think about the little piece of very dark chocolate I get to have when I finish it. That helps me.
    Virginia

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

You can get chocolate yogurt from several companies. I usually buy some every week. It's not like a chocolate dessert but it's not bad.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Vicky, I get the plain on purpose. Harris Teeter has their own brand and six ounces has 12 grams of protein and is only 80 calories. Not bad calories for that amount of protein.
    Virginia

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll have to move to your state to get some of that Harris Teeter yogurt. That 80 calories is far better than Yoplait, which has a sort-of chocolate (with caramel and sea salt thrown in) yogurt, 160 calories for 6 oz. and only 5 g of protein.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Since Jim has started eating yogurt with flax seed oil, and he needs to gain weight, I've been looking for higher calorie and higher protein yogurts. I'm searching for whole milk yogurt for the calories, and they are not easy to find. The variety of yogurts and brands now is overwhelming!

Stonyfield organic whole milk Greek yogurt has 150 calories (that's with strawberries) and 12 grams of protein. From my last trips to 2 grocery stores, it appears that Tillamook is taking over Stonyfield's spot on the shelves. It's not organic.

From what I've read on the internet about yogurt, Greek yogurt is supposed to have more protein than non-Greek yogurt.

Here's another tasty way to enjoy yogurt ~ Greek tzatzki dip/sauce

Plain Greek yogurt
    Olive or flax seed oil (a teaspoon or two) depending upon the amount of yogurt
    Grated cucumber (or chopped in small pieces)
    -- place the grated cucumber in cheesecloth or a sturdy paper towel and squeeze out water
    Fresh or dried dill weed
    Garlic (to taste) (I use a garlic press)
    Fresh or dried parsley
    Lemon juice
    Salt/Pepper

Lots of recipes for this dip on the internet with various alterations:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tzat...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Bon Appetit!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I don't pretend to know the arguments of Greek yogurt vs non-Greek, but I know it's thicker. The thickness is (or should be) the result of straining the liquid out, which makes it more condensed. No surprise then that there is more protein.

I'm not crazy about yogurt. But I have eaten it with oatmeal and raisins mixed in for breakfast. I also sometimes make a parfait of it for dessert: yogurt, oatmeal, chopped fruit, honey.
    Last edited by Parsi; 05-14-2017 at 08:30 AM.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123