Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Falling

Distinguished Community Member

Default Falling

Last night I fell. I got up to go to the bathroom. I walked about 10 steps and just went down. Peter said, "something fell." I said that is was me. That I was on the bathroom floor on the other side of the door.

He got me up. I apologized for falling! Crazy but I automatically do that. Then I immediately fell again just like a Lego tower that has the bottom bits knocked out. It amazed us, not in a good way, because Peter was standing face to face w me. I had no time to grab him or the other way round.

Yesterday was a mild day but we had a lot of stops w his mom. This included a lunch for my birthday. The restaurant was too warm and we got them to turn the heat down. In our next stop, a grocery store, I had an episode of Uthoff's. I felt weak and my eyes went wonky. I had to get out of there and I did.

In all, I had done too much plus the Uthoff's. I hurt in many places today but nothing seems to be broken. Peter is watching over me a little too well.

Who else is falling? I remember Jeanie having falls and Jtwin had one in the early autumn and broke her foot.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I have Cerebral Palsy so falling is my life. If you have MS I'm guessing the balance part of your brain is being effected. Never apologize for falling my dear! It's just a natural thing and nothing to be ashamed of! If I were you I would teach yourself to catch your falls. As a person with CP I have trained myself to put my arms out very fast to catch myself. It takes practice but it can be learned.
    About the weakness episode, after my friend had a stroke that happened to him a lot. He'd get tired and then suddenly get so weak it looked like he was going to fall. Luckily he was able to sit before he fell. It had to do with the damage to his brain and it was horrifying. Just try to stay cool,hydrated and do not stand too long. You may also want to have your blood sugar and heart checked if you have episodes where you feel weak. Do you feel dizzy?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That must have been scary, ANN. Falls can be so very scary. I'm glad you weren't badly injured.

Every time I fall, after I've checked over parts to make sure things are still intact, I thank my lucky stars I've escaped without needing a trip to the ER or whatever.

funnylegs, that's good advice about learning to catch yourself before you fall, and I've been trying to do that. Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.

There may be something about MS falls that make them "special." Most falls I've had (since MS) have been lightning-fast, so fast that there's no way I could have caught myself. I just get slammed down, and there I am on the ground, wondering what happened.

It sounds as if ANN's recent falls were like that too.

Getting out of bed is one of my most wobbly times. I keep the rollator by my bedside within easy reach, and I grab hold of it while getting out of bed, usually just long enough to get "stabilized," and then I go on my way without it to the bathroom. Maybe it's just a psychological security blanket but somehow just taking a few moments to get stable with the help of the rollator does help.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

So sorry, ANN!

I still have the marks on my legs from when I fell down the stairs...that was a year and a half or 2 ago now, I think?

Have you increased your baclofen recently, or changed the time you take it?

I'm always reminded of Grassman who told us that it was baclofen (that weakens muscles in order to reduce spasms) that caused him to fall and break his leg, and he never walked again. He was a constant cautionary tale against baclofen, and I remembered it well, especially when I began trying baclofen recently. I recall you take it as well.

Even without baclofen, If I'm overheated or standing too long, one of my knees sometimes just gives out on me. I haven't fallen yet, but if it was both, I'd be unable to stop myself from going down. It's like the tenseness over the one knee just relaxes, and it loses its upright positioning...I can almost hear it unhinge before the strength of the joint's muscles disappears and it loses its rigidity and tone.

Can you pinpoint the exact sequence of what was occurring physically before it happened?

Glad you weren't hurt!

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So sorry, ANN!

I still have the marks on my legs from when I fell down the stairs...that was a year and a half or 2 ago now, I think?

Have you increased your baclofen recently, or changed the time you take it?

I'm always reminded of Grassman who told us that it was baclofen (that weakens muscles in order to reduce spasms) that caused him to fall and break his leg, and he never walked again. He was a constant cautionary tale against baclofen, and I remembered it well, especially when I began trying baclofen recently. I recall you take it as well.

Even without baclofen, If I'm overheated or standing too long, one of my knees sometimes just gives out on me. I haven't fallen yet, but if it was both, I'd be unable to stop myself from going down. It's like the tenseness over the one knee just relaxes, and it loses its upright positioning...I can almost hear it unhinge before the strength of the joint's muscles disappears and it loses its rigidity and tone.

Can you pinpoint the exact sequence of what was occurring physically before it happened?

Glad you weren't hurt!
    I'v heard some people can get dizzy and pass out from overheating or standing too long so please be careful.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last night I fell. I got up to go to the bathroom. I walked about 10 steps and just went down. Peter said, "something fell." I said that is was me. That I was on the bathroom floor on the other side of the door.

He got me up. I apologized for falling! Crazy but I automatically do that. Then I immediately fell again just like a Lego tower that has the bottom bits knocked out. It amazed us, not in a good way, because Peter was standing face to face w me. I had no time to grab him or the other way round.

Yesterday was a mild day but we had a lot of stops w his mom. This included a lunch for my birthday. The restaurant was too warm and we got them to turn the heat down. In our next stop, a grocery store, I had an episode of Uthoff's. I felt weak and my eyes went wonky. I had to get out of there and I did.

In all, I had done too much plus the Uthoff's. I hurt in many places today but nothing seems to be broken. Peter is watching over me a little too well.

Who else is falling? I remember Jeanie having falls and Jtwin had one in the early autumn and broke her foot.

ANN
    I go through periods when I fall a lot and then I do not fall for a while. Right now IA have scrapes up and down one arm and the opposite leg. Hurts! Your falls sound scary. Sudden, no time to save yourself.��
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Funnylegs,
    I am not dizzy and did not have a chance to stop my self fm falling nor did Peter the second time. I wing walk very often, it's automatic.

Agate,
    You are close to what happened. I think it had to do w the overdoing and Uthoff's.

SuzE-Q,
    I saw my neuro in Jan and my legs were tight on exam. My baclofen was increased then from 35 to 45 a day. 15-15-15. But that is not recently.

There are people who need a certain amount of spasm to stay upright, tho, but not me. Not yet.

Thank you all. Husband is now letting me roam around on my own. No stairs w/o him though. You gotta love him. <3
    ANN

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

That sounds pretty scary and I am glad you didn't break a bone or worse Ann.

My friend with MS has yoga mats all over the house. For one, she walks better on that type of surface. If she falls, it is a softer landing.

So, your muscle just stopped working, if I hear you right? The heat and over exertion caused the nerve to stop firing?

That's one reason my husband reads me the riot act when Indont hold the railing on the stairs....

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Bbs, it happened so fast I don't know what happened.

ANN

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

ANN,, I am so sorry for you falling, gosh , talk about a turnaround,I too went thru a stage that falling was what I did every day,, my husband swears he was going to incase me in bubble/wrap......when I fell, no warning, nothing,,it should have come with a bell, to let you know it was going to happen..
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

20. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast