Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Falling

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funnylegs,
    I am not dizzy and did not have a chance to stop my self fm falling nor did Peter the second time. I wing walk very often, it's automatic.

Agate,
    You are close to what happened. I think it had to do w the overdoing and Uthoff's.

SuzE-Q,
    I saw my neuro in Jan and my legs were tight on exam. My baclofen was increased then from 35 to 45 a day. 15-15-15. But that is not recently.

There are people who need a certain amount of spasm to stay upright, tho, but not me. Not yet.

Thank you all. Husband is now letting me roam around on my own. No stairs w/o him though. You gotta love him. <3
    ANN
    Thanks. It's good that you are not dizzy. Spasms are what people with neurologic conditions use for strength. If the spasticity is removed we get weak. It's why I did not take botox or anything like that for spasticity. I did not want muscle weakness. Yoga matts are a good idea!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 04-09-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was diagnosed with MS, my frequent falls were one of the issues--and the type of falls was another issue. Seizures were considered but pretty much ruled out because the EEG was "substantially normal." Not sure what that meant but the neuro muttered something about putting me on Dilantin but didn't bring up that topic again.

The neuro said that sometimes with MS there can be sudden loss of muscle tone. He thought that's why I was having the type of falls where I couldn't have stopped myself because I just found myself on the ground.
    If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
    --Lewis Carroll

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Oh Ann, so sorry this happened to you. In addition to being concerned that you could hurt yourself, it is also such a shocking reminder that this can happen and that in itself is worrisome. No wonder you overdid by going to 5 grocery stores just after the fall. Surprised Peter allowed that. I am concerned about the steps you go up and down when do the laundry now that I know this.

Suze-Q thanks for the reminder about the baclofen. I do not take it and this reminded me why. My Doctor and I discussed it a number of years ago and decided I might be better off with the spasticity. I know that could change.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Most of my falls have been when transferring to the scooter. They happen so fast that I do not know what happened. I have not had one in quite awhile and I am glad since Andy has to come to get me up. I am glad not to have to bother him. He does so much for me every week.

Ann I am glad you did not break a bone. Be careful. Jeanie :)

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Virginia, I asked Peter to close the trap door to the cellar. No danger that I will fall taking laundry down if I don't go down.

Re yoga mats and bubble wrap: I guess the yoga mats are more practical but you gotta love Peg's Joe wanting to wrap her in bubble wrap!

I have often thought it crazy that people want the hardest things, granite and marble, in their bathrooms. Bathrooms are where the most falls happen. For everyone. More for us. I have linoleum tiles on the floor. I am looking into cork.

Thank you all. Maybe we should all get assistance dogs. Chocolate labs?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By all means chocolate labs! Or chocolate point Siamese cats maybe but they're not known for being especially helpful.

People seriously want granite and marble in their bathrooms? Now I know that the world has gone off the rails.

I once lived in a place with a terrazzo floor in the bathroom. I think that's the name of it. Marble chips set in cement. It was very smooth but also very very cold and hard. I'm glad I never fell on it.

That place was built around 1900. I thought people would have got over that marble idea long ago.
    If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
    --Lewis Carroll

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bbs, it happened so fast I don't know what happened.

ANN

Ann,
    That is so scary. Things happening so fast it is hard to really know what happened.
    Your husband was great. Nice to have someone who knows.

Yesterday John and I were working in greenhouse. Stupid because it was midday. But we were together and doing normal things and that felt so good. Then I started to fall but fell into a bench with plants we had just transplanted. My husband, full of concern, yelled out that I was going to fall on the plants! Plants first, wife second.

Bbs, Those yoga mats sound like a possible idea.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Peg, I like your Bell idea :)

Re the Baclofen. Maybe there is a difference between spasticity and what I get without Baclofen to control it. My feet and shin muscles not only stiffen, but twist my feet sideways and the stiffening is very painful and uncontrollable with stretching. They're muscle spasms It lasts about 30 minutes, stops, then fires up periodically throughout the day. It's like very bad charley horses with no ability to stop them by stretching.

On a Baclofen the spasms are fleeting except with exercise. But still, I get this uncomfortable muscle stiffening. Marinol helps that.

I did not realize that there could be a sudden loss of tone. That could be deadly. What an egg sucking disease.

Re yoga mats, when I see my beach gal I will get details about how she uses them.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Falling is never good. Lots of bad things can happen when you fall..and if you're elderly, like me, (70) broken hips are the worst. Falling is what got me diagnosed with MS, now 35 years ago -- I'd be walking across a perfectly flat pavement and suddenly crash to the ground. Not good when the pavement is the street you're trying to cross! I cracked bones in both knees, constantly had bloody legs, bruised arms, strained wrists (from trying to catch myself). I, too, thought I was having seizures, petite mal seizures, to be precise. But that was quickly ruled out, and went on to be diagnosed with MS.

My doctor told me to think about it as an electrical circuit..and somebody turns the light off. And it's instantly dark. If you're in a room and someone turns out the light, there's no warning, no few minutes to find the door. Just BOOM!, it's dark! With me, it's the electrical impulse leading to that muscle group that suddenly "shuts off"...and BOOM! I'm on the floor.

I know that when I had visiting nurses and physical therapists in and out, the first thing they'd always ask is "did you have any falls?' And when I was in the nursing home, more than a few of the women there would tell me that they were there because they kept falling down,, and weren't safe to stay at home (alone).

I know if I fell down, Tom Cat would NOT be able to pick me up, so I'd have to call .."I've fallen, and I can't get up!!!!!" much to my embarrassment. So I don't fall. Yet.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

18. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Like Ann, I am always apologizing. I walk very, very slow (my only speed) and I am always saying to everyone "I am sorry". This is people who know I have MS. But who understands MS? Certainly not people who do not have it. Then in stores - I am always walking crooked and into someone's cart or something in an aisle, so I apologize to anyone standing around. Maybe they didn't always notice, but I say "Please excuse me" or "I am so sorry". It is habit I guess. I've been doing it for so many years that I just automatically say it. But then I get upset later thinking that I just apologized for having a disease that I can't possibly help.
    Virginia

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast