Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222272829303132

Thread: Jim's Update

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((callyflower)))))) ~

I've thought the same thing, and it's likely I will pursue it. I want to chat with Jon's nurse to find out what she knows about the 2nd opinion process. I don't think it would be meaningful for Jim to see Dr. PK for a 2nd opinion, until the test results are in, because the decisions about what to do next are dependent upon the results. What if the radiation didn't work? What if cancer has spread more throughout his lungs?

I think any doctor would want to wait for those test results, before giving an opinion. It's always been that way with every medical issue my boys have had.

Today is not the day to discuss this with Jim, so I'll wait until a better time, when he's feeling a bit stronger, to review it with him.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, suggestions, and sharing your experiences with me. You are truly helping me.

Meanwhile, Jim's out like a like and snug as a bug in a rug.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

THE STORY OF OUR HOME

We are very blessed to have our home in this beautiful planned community. We bought our home 40 years ago, as my condition of reconciliation with my then spouse. Two years after we moved in, I divorced him. In 1996, the deed was put in my name after a long legal battle with my ex. It was a challenge for me to maintain our home and afford improvements. Jim has done so much work through the years on our home, which saved us a ton of money. Our community is in demand for buyers, because of its unique features and location. We could never afford to buy our home now! So, Iím truly grateful every day that I forced the issue 40 years ago. And, that I was able through hard work and many difficult times to maintain it.

JIMíS VISIT WITH DR. P TODAY

Dr. P was a different person today. She hugged Jim and wished him a Happy New Year. He replied, ďI hope so!Ē

When he opened the pages of notes Iíd made for him, so he could remember everything he wanted to tell her, she said, ďOh, we donít need that today. We are going to start fresh!Ē

She listened as he described his radiation side effects and told him that it was all expected and that it would gradually lessen. She seemed sorry that heís been so miserable. She said that the blood he coughed up was not concerning, since it was a one time thing.

Iím dumbfounded that they donít use a pulse ox for vitals! Everything else but that. A lung cancer patient, in particular, should have SATS checked regularly. Jim told Dr. P that his daily SATS range from 95-97, and she was astounded. ďThatís fantastic!Ē

She told Jim that she wanted to fatten him up, as she could tell heíd lost weight. Heís lost 5 pounds, which isnít that much really, and is in his normal range prior to cancer. He explained that the rad nausea and fatigue interfered with him eating as well as he would like to eat.

She said she didnít want to start chemo again, until after the radiation wait period concluded. She ordered a brain MRI and a chest CAT scan. For the same day! I said, ďNOPE!Ē He has to have contrasts with both of them, and thatís just too much in one day. So MRI is on 1/29 and CAT scan is on Feb. 1.

He then sees Dr. P on Feb. 5, and sheíll have the test results and will decide where to go from there.

Dr. P examined Jim, and she hugged him goodbye, and told him to rest, assuring him that in February, she will have a plan to go forward.

Jim said that he doesnít want to pursue the 2nd opinion from Dr. PK, until after he has his test results and finds out what Dr. Pís plans are. I think that makes sense, especially with the test results as a road map.

While chatting with the nurse, who drew his blood through his port today, Jim mentioned that he was thinking about a second opinion, and that he canít believe how difficult it is to obtain one. She responded, ďI know. Itís disgusting! This is your LIFE! And you have a right to know whatís happening to you and whether another doctor has a better plan.Ē

The nurse also revealed that Dr. D is known for having a poor bedside manner. She told Jim not to take it personally, because sheís like that with all of her patients. Well, maybe sheís in the wrong profession then!

Jim didnít sleep well last night, despite his comfy new mattress topper, because he was stressed about todayís appointment. Shortly after he came home, he said that he was aching all over. Thatís the stress. Heíd already taken his usual 5 mg steroid this morning, so I gave him 15 mg more, along with his 10/10 CBD/THC capsule. He managed to eat some vegetable soup and water crackers, then climbed in bed and is attempting to sleep.

At the doctorís office his BP was 155/84. Before he settled into his nest, I took his BP. It was 122/68. Hello Stress!

So, he has 2 weeks with no doctor appointments, and the goal is to get plenty of rest and gain back the 5 pounds.

Thank you all so very much for your continuing love, prayers, support, and positive healing energy. We keep you in our prayers daily.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Lovely house story! My theory is that Dr P found out "through the grape vine" that Jim may want to get a 2nd opinion and realized she had to kick her bad attitude to the curb so you may want to get the 2nd opinion just to hold Dr P to the fire. As for Dr D. I had a doc like that. He was a very skilled doc but his bedside manner was disgusting and years later when the internet was more of a thing I found out he was known for being a jerk and an ableist in his reviews. Glad it went well. Prayers as always!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Yes, Rose, the appointment would be best after the scans are done, but if you wait until then to pursue it, you may have weeks and weeks to wait to actually see the new doc. If you set it up now, as a "second opinion records review" and schedule it for right after the scans are done, you will have that spot sealed and if you decide, for whatever reason, you don't need it, you simply call and cancel it. Maybe get an afternoon spot so you can go with Jim. He needs support and you know best how to provide it.

Cancer is tricky. It's important to try and stay one step ahead of it. Jim is at the point where things can happen very quickly. I KNOW he's sick to death of appointments, of feeling ill, of dealing with people he never in a million years wanted to deal with. He ultimately is the decision maker as it's his body, so the encouragement you give him to pursue other options, etc, is very important. Whatever happens in the future, it would be nice for all of you to be at peace, knowing you explored ALL options and made decisions based on that, with no regrets.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you so much for your prayers.

I wondered the same thing, as did Jim. That's fine if she did hear it through the grapevine, because she needed a heads up that things are not well with Jim and her previous approach and attitude. She changed her tune, and that helped Jim and made him feel better, so however that happened, it's still a good thing.

callyflower ~

How well I know how long the System takes in these kinds of matters, now that I realize that the protocol here is to have another doctor make a referral for a 2nd opinion. Before I request the referral for Jim, I'd like to know what the process is, so I'm planning to speak to Jon's nurse. I may also contact our PCP to discuss it with him. I'm thinking he might be our best bet for a referral.

Jim felt so much better today, rested and free from pain. He was in a jovial mood, and we laughed so much today. Given the tears I spilled last night, the laughter gives my spirit balance.

Jim's blood work results were posted on his health portal. Everything looks very good. WBC is normal. While still in the low range, his RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit are better than his last draw at the end of November, before his final Gemcitabine infusion. His neutrophils (the white warrior blood cells) are normal and better than they have been for months.

We cling to the positives and to hope.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and support.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222272829303132