Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819

Thread: Jim's Update

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All))))))~

Thank you agate, Steve, and funnylegs4 for your perspectives on the current health care bill.

I've been dealing with the System for nearly 50 years, and I have chewed my nails down to the knuckles many times over proposed budget cuts by the state to all of the programs, which serve Jon and his peers. Reams of letters I wrote to our legislators and the media are in boxes in our garage. I don't know why I'm keeping them. Maybe as a testament to my life's work as an advocate.

Block grants would utterly destroy Medicaid. When the money is gone, it's gone, and those in need will suffer and, yes, die. The states don't have access to more funding within the states' budgets. States will also have the option of providing less or none of the services. Medicaid is a federal program, and it needs that umbrella to survive.

funnylegs4 ~ the System won't shrink and become more manageable. The bureaucracy will remain the same. With less funding, logically, less services will be provided to Medicaid recipients. There certainly will not be any streamlining of the bureaucracy.

I'm still waiting for the authorization for Jon's PT to address his lymphedema. Jon is a palliative care patient. Uncontrolled lymphedema can be life threatening. But he can't even get approval for ONE visit. And that is now, before a new health care plan takes effect, so imagine what will happen if this bill passes.

Pre-existing conditions are also off the table, or if insurance agencies agree to provide coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, the consumers will have to pay higher premiums.

Unfortunately, politics is an integral part of our lives, particularly those with disabling conditions, because everything revolves around government support. Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, the IHSS program, the Regional Center ~ all government agencies/organizations. Our health is extremely, inextricably related to politics.

And the poor, disabled, and elderly are always the first to be discarded and devalued in the budget process. These are facts, based on my life experience.

If this bill passes, Jon's IHSS program will be in jeopardy, along with all of his life-giving supplies (G Tube, trache, catheter, colostomy) and home health care. I am terrified every time this repeal and replace stuff comes up, because I fear for Jon's future.

Naturally, my body responds to this kind of stress. I can't ignore these possibilities and not worry about them becoming reality. I have to be prepared.

After almost a half century of battling the System and legislators with hidden agendas and no compassion or concern for the most vulnerable among us, I'm exhausted and fed up. I am tired of begging.

Many organizations have expressed their opposition to this latest health care bill, like the AMA, March of Dimes, and other disease-specific organizations. So, I'm not alone in recognizing that nothing good will come of this bill if it passes.

If we're the greatest country on Earth, why don't we have a health care system, which provides for all of our needs, and which doesn't discriminate against anyone?

That shouldn't even be a question.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Thanks! The congress members who are for it say it does cover pre existing conditions but I don't know. Any bill must cover pre existing and value each precious life in order for me to approve it.
    Back on topic, is Jon better today? How's Jim?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

2. The following user says "thanks"

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819