Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Keep On Moving: April 2017

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

It was a beautiful 78F, just perfect, with a nice breeze. I just keep wanting to forget that I shouldn't walk more than 5 minutes. I had my phone. Like you, I carry it everywhere, from room to room.

Worse comes to worse, I could've called a surf buddy. But you know, I gotta take responsibility for myself and not do stupid things like walk so long in the yard.

I woke up feeling well this morning so I went for a swim.

Speaking of Sally, I am sure we are all worried about her. I sure am.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Got dressed, did hair, went to Doctor and the appointment was not until tomorrow. They asked if I wanted to see another one that was available so I said yes. He had no interest in me and it was plain to see, however he did get a blood test to check my Thyroid against what the Neurologist office says it is. He also did a urinalysis. I will probably find out results tomorrow.

I then went to Belk's and stayed on first floor for an hour. My feet were dragging. Then went to grocery store, but didn't need or get much today because I was too tired. Left home shortly after 2PM and got back at almost exactly 6PM.

I was so sure of my appointment - oh well!
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, it's a shame you had to turn up there and be given someone else. I hope that at least the results of that visit will be good news for you.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

That's a big excursion. Do you use a wheelchair for those big days out?

That is my plan. That way I can push the chair when doing well enough, thus having a place to sit immediately, and , if I cannot push it, sit on it and wheel myself around to shop in stores that don't have scooters, and accompany friends on a walk....it's like an ace in a hole. Without it, it's too risky that I might not make it back to my car.

At least the doc ran the two tests for you. He sounds burned out. Am seeing that more and more, especially since EMR started.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

BBS, my arms are very weak. There is no way I could wheel myself around in a wheelchair. Anyway, I have six steps out my door and a walk to my car, then I would have to put the wheelchair in and take it out when I got where I was going. There is no way I could begin to do that.

Test came back and I am confused about Thyroid. The one at the Neurologist office showed I was out of the normal range. This one shows I am well within the normal range. Which lab is right? I do have UTI which e-mail states a prescription will be sent in for. I had never heard of this medicine and hope that it is not in the floxin family.
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BBS, that's the way I've been using my wheelchair for over 30 years. I've had the occasional comment but people will be people. I know what I'm doing--trying to keep the use of my legs in any way I can--and they don't.

I get out of my chair and walk while pushing it from behind instead of propelling it with my arms because, like Virginia, my arms just get too tired too fast. When I have to I stay in it and propel it with my arms, and it's a good idea to get practice doing this because you can find yourself in tight spots where you need to know how to turn or back up easily. My preference is for walking with it even though that can be tiring too. I try not to have to walk very far of course but if I do get tired, as BBS said, there's the chair to sit down and rest in.

The catch here is that I don't go very many places. If I went around the way normal people do--shopping, on errands, to banks, libraries, people's homes, etc.--I'd probably find this routine pretty tiring. As it is I try to limit myself to one or two outings (trips involving riding on the lift-equiped van) a week and never go to real stores. The way things have been shaping up in the last couple of years my outings are limited to medical and dental appointments, plus maybe a couple of visits to my son and DIL's, an annual trip to a farmer's market, a trip to a bank branch to get single dollar bills. That's it for my outings.

I like to take walks around the neighborhood too, and I don't consider those "outings." Those are exercise and sight-seeing. I used to push my wheelchair while walking but found that the walker, and now the rollator, is easier, especially since I need to go up some substantial slopes. I haven't been on one of these walks in months because of the weather but hope to get back to them soon and watch my pedometer readings go up.
    Last edited by agate; 04-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I also have a small front porch that I have to cross to get to my six steps. It is made of the rough bricks as are the steps. Then the walk is cement. My car is not parked in front of my front door. There isn't any place to park it other than where it is which means I have to then go down the cement walk that has the cracks in it and then I get to a curb that I have to get the wheelchair down. Then I would have to fold it up and try to get it in my car, which I do not have the strength to do.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Yes, that sounds overwhelming if the arms are weak.

My DH wants to put a big lift on the back of the car and buy me a motorized scooter. I nixed that. Am not at that stage , hope I never will be, but know it could happen.

Today I swam an extra 3 minutes. Now my legs are on fire and twitchy. Could be connected. Or not. Will skip exercise tomorrow.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I did laundry today. Many stairs. I started early though and was done before noon.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Well, I perked up this afternoon and as the day wore on, so I steam mopped my kitchen and two downstairs bathrooms and then I vacuumed the remainder of the house. So I did do a little something. I may go pick up my medicine tomorrow. I received another message by mail that the Augmentin might be a possibility, but wait until tomorrow until the culture comes back.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast