Keep On Moving: April 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep On Moving: April 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

I met up with my crew this morning to go surfing, although I do use the word surfing loosely today. I was feeling a little bit sketchy with my legs, and so I blew a couple of waves and then just hung out in the water enjoying the scenery and the camaraderie. My crew surprised me. 10 of them showed up with drinks and food and gifts! How cool is that?! You would not believe what it was like and I managed to keep my feelings quiet because I didn't want to overwhelm anybody. I will be writing thank you notes after I finish posting here, you can bet on that!

About 20 of the locals know I have MS. I feel so supported and know that they would have my back if I get in trouble. That is part of what allows me to continue to defy logic and keep paddling out no matter what.

That other woman with MS was there this morning and I must say she looks terrific even if she feels like hell! We all know about that, right? Anyway the water was much warmer today and more gentle than it has been all winter and spring. It was wonderful to see her float in the shallow part. She had such a peaceful look on her face.

I wanted to let her just lie on my board and rock in the water, but she does not feel ready for that and so we will wait for an even more gentle summer day when she doesn't have to worry about herself at all.

She is now able to walk 45 minutes on the beach. She has worked her way up to that. She had been in a wheelchair for seven years and her muscles therefore had atrophied. Over the past 18 months she has slowly increased her ability to walk. I told her that it was amazing and that I would not be able to do that.she still uses a motor scooter a good deal in her life. She said something about the wet packed sand makes it easier for her to walk there then on any other surface.

Of course I have introduced her to all of my crew and I think it's very sweet that she looks forward to seeing the friendly faces and knows that we all are rooting for her.

Her arms are still quite weak and I think that is one reason why she does not feel quite ready yet to lie on the board. I get that.

Here is sunrise todayIMG_2661.jpg

Comment

Beautiful sunrise photo!

That was really nice of your surfing buddies to provide refreshments as a surprise!

The woman with MS who worked up to being able to walk 45 minutes on the beach is an inspiration. I'll be walking more now that the weather is getting milder.

I'm eager to see what's been going on in the neighborhood. There may be new dogs barking, new paint jobs on some buildings, new cats turning up here and there. Best of all, there will be trees in bloom.

Oddly enough, I can go farther and faster with the walker than without it. Or maybe that's not so odd.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I look forward to reading about your adventure

Comment

BBS, that is great - what a special group of people. I am so glad the lady with MS is still showing up. To walk as long as she does is just wonderful.

Agate, looking forward to you being able to get out. You are always so positive and I love the way you describe things you see.

I went out today. First time in a week. I did not go far or for long. I had 3 prescription refills that I had needed to pick up for days and had not felt like doing it. So also stopped by a restaurant and got enough food for two days. I need to go to grocery. Monday I have appointment to get cut and color, so maybe I will be able to get to the grocery store after that.
          Virginia

Comment

My pedometer readings for March averaged 1419 steps/day, almost 100 more steps/day on average than for February. This may be progress.

I've been busy taking last year's planters and pots off the patio, emptying them out and cleaning them and storing them. The dirt is heavy to haul because it's wet. It would be drier if I waited until the rains let up but the job needed to be done now. The patio was looking unsightly, IMO.

So I've been hoisting heavy trash bags up into the dumpster, and the other day I divided a plant that hadn't been divided in several years at least. It was harder to divide than I thought, and I ended up pulling it with all my strength just to get part of it out of the pot. I had to stop and rest in the middle of that little project but I got it done and now have two pots with hosta plants in them, and they didn't seem to mind at all.

That's been my exertion lately in addition to the usual exercises, laundry, and housework, and occasional walks through the building.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Good to see people busy and moving what they can.

Agate, I am jealous of you being able to do anything outside. We had snow and slush yesterday and today.

Virginia, let me know if Peter calls ahead and pays for your hair appointment. :-)

We took His mother grocery shopping to 2 stores, to lunch at a bagel sandwich place and to CVS to get her meds. Lots of walking for me. And stairs which are hard.

ANN
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Ann...too funny! When I wrote that I almost asked if you thought Peter would like to pay for mine. Two great minds working the same channel.
                Virginia

Comment

ANN, I wasn't out on the patio very long because it was too cold, windy and wet. I brought the planters and pots in and dealt with them indoors. I did one a day, and now I've done 4, with only 2 or 3 left to do.

Comment

In mid winter I noticed that all of the strawberry plants in my large container were dead, but some of the runners survived. I had put them in small pots of their own after they reached the patio. I'll buy more strawberry plants as soon as they are available, but that won't be for another few weeks. My blueberry bushes are starting to get ready to leaf out. I'll buy some new varieties when I see them available. I have 2 different kinds right now, one early and one late. The late ones have larger berries, it will be nice to see how many I get this year. My blueberry bushes are 7 years old this year. I get more berries each year so far and it's great they didn't suffer after the big drought we went through a couple years ago.

I'm thinking of trying vertical gardening this year, we shall see if that actually happens.
                    s
                    Jendie
                    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

Comment

Thats a lot of good activity ladies :) We all know how hard these things are, and its great to be able to move while we can still move.

About ten minutes after sunrise, I crested the"hill" of the boardwalk to take in a stunning scene. There was a light fog on the water, causing unworldly eerie silvery lighting everywhere and especially on the water. The ocean was glassy with these thigh to chest high sets rolling through. It was very sacred looking, especially since it was only about 8 locals on the scene. I had two impulses: run out there and paddle out in the gorgeousness, versus watch and be transfixed by it. I chose the latter for about 5 minutes, until the no see ums tipped my hand, and Paddle out I did.

That was the second thing of beauty. It was way too warm in the water for a 3/2mm. So glad I had the foresight to bring trunks and a 1.5mm jacket. Younger dudes could've done without the jacket.

The immediate thing upon paddling out was how deceptive the water looked from the beach. It looked pretty easy and gentle. Not so. There was plenty of energy in the incoming whitewater while paddling out through it. And, on the first ride, I got down the face of it, it was steep, somehow scooted in front of it as it closed out behind me somehow. And I couldn't believe how much force was in the wash closing in on me. It was enough that I couldn't see anything, just hoped nothing was in front of me.

I let myself take two waves and then called it a morning, so as to be able to recover faster with the MS. Good strategy.

The long boarders were falling off waves a lot, likely due to it being low tide. The short boarders and skilled SUPers were really having fun with it. One of my crew got hurt in the shallow water, she should be okay. But its a sobering reminder about how low tide can be tricky at times.

Comment

You make it sound so easy and delightful. I'm not sure what a SUPer is, though.

I agree that it's best to stop while you're ahead with any physical effort!

Comment

Stand up paddleboarder. They surf just like surfboarders do, but stand up and use a paddle to get into the wave

Comment

This? Yikes! I wonder how they stay standing for any length of time.

Comment

Looks scary and far out in the ocean to me. Is he hooked up to something at the ankle BBS?
                              Virginia

Comment

Working...
                              X