Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep On Moving: April 2017

Distinguished Community Member

Thats a lot of good activity ladies :) We all know how hard these things are, and its great to be able to move while we can still move.

About ten minutes after sunrise, I crested the"hill" of the boardwalk to take in a stunning scene. There was a light fog on the water, causing unworldly eerie silvery lighting everywhere and especially on the water. The ocean was glassy with these thigh to chest high sets rolling through. It was very sacred looking, especially since it was only about 8 locals on the scene. I had two impulses: run out there and paddle out in the gorgeousness, versus watch and be transfixed by it. I chose the latter for about 5 minutes, until the no see ums tipped my hand, and Paddle out I did.

That was the second thing of beauty. It was way too warm in the water for a 3/2mm. So glad I had the foresight to bring trunks and a 1.5mm jacket. Younger dudes could've done without the jacket.

The immediate thing upon paddling out was how deceptive the water looked from the beach. It looked pretty easy and gentle. Not so. There was plenty of energy in the incoming whitewater while paddling out through it. And, on the first ride, I got down the face of it, it was steep, somehow scooted in front of it as it closed out behind me somehow. And I couldn't believe how much force was in the wash closing in on me. It was enough that I couldn't see anything, just hoped nothing was in front of me.

I let myself take two waves and then called it a morning, so as to be able to recover faster with the MS. Good strategy.

The long boarders were falling off waves a lot, likely due to it being low tide. The short boarders and skilled SUPers were really having fun with it. One of my crew got hurt in the shallow water, she should be okay. But its a sobering reminder about how low tide can be tricky at times.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You make it sound so easy and delightful. I'm not sure what a SUPer is, though.

I agree that it's best to stop while you're ahead with any physical effort!
    There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Stand up paddleboarder. They surf just like surfboarders do, but stand up and use a paddle to get into the wave

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This? Yikes! I wonder how they stay standing for any length of time.

--Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Looks scary and far out in the ocean to me. Is he hooked up to something at the ankle BBS?
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

That is a leash. So, if he takes a wave and falls off the board, he won't have to swim to the board. Many beaches require it so boards don't get loose and hurt someone. That's a go pro mounted on the nose to video himself. Doesn't look like any waves?

Check out this video. I know this guy. He let me try out his board last year. Super nice guy and very competent:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvz22n46_5k
    Last edited by BBS1951; 04-02-2017 at 03:41 PM.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

So it's a very tricky balancing act! And being dunked into the water a thousand times just adds to the fun of it.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I wouldn't have a chance with any of it. I have 0 balance. Anything involving a surfboard looks fun, but it's something I will never get to try.
    Last edited by Howie; 04-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Nice video, but a bit on the scary side. BBS, always check in so we will know you are not among the sharks!
    Virginia

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I think we should sit on the beach and make sure we can still see her head out there.

We could bring refreshments and suntan lotion and make a day of it.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast