Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: OT April Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

I never could get into audio books. Just can't sit there and listen. They are great for those who like them; all kinds of books are available that way at Amazon. Just not for me. I'm sure that if my sight goes (I do have glaucoma...mild right now, but..) I'll appreciate them.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd have trouble just sitting there and listening. Mostly I lie there and listen--at times when I need to rest but not sleep--or I sit there and listen while doing something else I don't need to concentrate much on, like winding a ball of yarn or peeling potatoes or whatever. The player goes with me. It is fairly lightweight and has a retractable handle and a retractable cord and runs on batteries as well as being a plug-in device.

Every week I set up pills for the week. I sit at a table with the pill stuff in front of me and of course the book player.

My reading is done more or less in a catch-as-catch-can way but that's OK. If I lose my place I can find it easily enough by rewinding.

A scholarly book is a bit trickier because the footnotes aren't always read as they occur. They're sometimes at the end of the book or chapter, and you have to keep moving back and forth from footnote to text, or skip the footnotes until later. But most things I read aren't so scholarly.

The narrators do such a good job, and I've got to know their names and voices. Mitzi Friedlander has been a favorite for years.

Lately the library as started using commercial audio books, and some of the periodicals come from Audible Book.

The commercial ones sometimes have background music, and I could do without it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I used to listen to some of the old time radio shows from back before TV. "Only the Shadow knows". It was like TV, but required you to use your imagination. It probably was better for your brain and imagination than TV will ever be.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My dad didn't tell many stories but I remember the one about listening to The Shadow with his mother.

While my grandfather worked 2 nd shift (detective, Union & Pacific RR), my grandmother and my dad would sit in the dark listening to the radio. One night, my grandfather snuck in the kitchen door and dipped his hands into the cold dish water and then around my dad's neck!

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Also, please note:

Rose and her husband, Jim, are going through a difficult time. She posted the most recent update here:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...8-Jim-s-Update

Love to you both, (((Rose & Jim)))
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never could get into audio books. Just can't sit there and listen. They are great for those who like them; all kinds of books are available that way at Amazon. Just not for me. I'm sure that if my sight goes (I do have glaucoma...mild right now, but..) I'll appreciate them.
    Hello Cat,
    That is exactly what I feel. Someone reading the book to me is interpreting the book with his/her voice and I never like it. But, today I listened to Seamus Heaney reading "Beowulf". I wanted to read that years ago. I used to teach it so it was fun.
    And I found some British radio shows from previous years. There are lots of specialty books. I have not yet found which ones are free.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello Cat,
    That is exactly what I feel. Someone reading the book to me is interpreting the book with his/her voice and I never like it. But, today I listened to Seamus Heaney reading "Beowulf". I wanted to read that years ago. I used to teach it so it was fun.
    And I found some British radio shows from previous years. There are lots of specialty books. I have not yet found which ones are free.
    Linda, go to the Amazon storefront. Search for "audible books for prime", and they should appear.

14. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Interesting study on umbiiical cord stem cells injected into kids with autism. Seems to work. It Tamps down inflammation in the brain. Now where have we heard the whole idea of brain inflammation? Oh yes! It's part of multiple sclerosis.

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Ann, I have finished "The Light Between Oceans". I really enjoyed it. However it was sad and I will admit that I cried at the end.

Hope all of you are doing well today.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

We are expecting very bad storms here overnight with winds of 30 to 50 miles per hour, large hail and a lot of rain. Then tomorrow the winds are supposed to be 25 to 30 mph sustained. I need to go out and since there could be gust up to 40 mph I dread it. This is to last all day. Hope we do not loose power.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast