Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whhelchairs

Distinguished Community Member

Default Whhelchairs

I need a non motorized wheelchair to be able to accompany family to fun places, like a restaurant without curbside parking, to large shopping places such as TJMaxx, to meet up relatives in big hotels etc.

I want it to be light so I can put it in the back of my car. Other than that, I have no clue what to look for?

Any suggestions?

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

BBS, you will have to wait for Agate or Cat maybe to come along. No matter how light weight I could not push myself, so I haven't looked into them. I think some others on here have.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't ever dealt with the kind of chair you're talking about but I know they exist. Some of the chairs shown in Howie's link should be what you're looking for. The lightest weight chairs on that page aren't for self-propelling. Someone else pushes you while you sit in the chair. But there are other fairly lightweight manual chairs.

My chair has snap-on wheels but I've hardly ever snapped them off because the mainframe can be lifted into a vehicle (by an able-bodied person). It's not considered a lightweight chair, however.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

You do not want something called a "transport" chair for sure....they're only designed to be pushed by an attendant, and usually on smooth surfaces like tile floors. A foldable chair gives you the most versatility -- it will fit into most car trunks. The pop-off wheels are a nice feature as it makes the chair even smaller. Get foam filled tires....they care indestructible on all surfaces, indoor and out ( they will lose tread in time, like car tires, but we're talking years, here).

Things to consider: do you intend to propel yourself? Do you intend to drive yourself to places in your own car, or do you want the flexibility to ride in any vehicle? How much do you intend to use the chair...a lot, at which time I'd suggest you get a prescription to be properly fitted and measured for one (and for which Medicare and/or your insurance company will pay for it), or you look on eBay, or Craig's list for a used one. Or buy one. I usually buy mine at www.spinlife.com where there is a chart showing you how to measure yourself for a good fit, and where you can see lots of choices, including various scooters which, depending on your overall mobility, might serve you as well as a wheelchair.

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

My chair has snap on wheels but, like Agate, my chair fits easily in the car so I don't take them off that often. It is incredibly light weight. Made of titanium.

I had the seat set low so I could use my feet to sort of wheelwalk at the farmers market.

It takes a lot of practice to be able to push yourself but I can do it with arm strength as long as the ground is solid.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-26-2017 at 03:49 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Thank you very much. I will pursue all these ideas. My kids are visiting until tomorrow and will study this Monday after they fly home,

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Myself I prefer a light weight scooter. There are times when I do not have the energy to go out and the thought of having to push myself when that tired would be too much. I can do arm exercises to keep my arms strong, and I prefer that to pushing myself. Jeanie :)

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

My husband said carbon fiber WC are super light. Having trouble finding one in USA. One is in Britain. It weighs about 10 pounds, which seems impossible!

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I found one that is only 24 lbs for $318. The website is http://www.karmanhealthcare.com/whee...ht-wheelchairs It is on the right side about half way down the page. Jeanie :)

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast