Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whhelchairs

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

My sister suggested Craigslist for used like new chairs. Not a bad idea, so many elderly in my area. But first I gotta educate self so I know how to evaluate the chair.

Seatbelt good idea for bumpy sidewalks for sure.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

No matter how long you might be in the chair, you need comfortable seating, which provides proper support. We've used Roho cushions (which have air) on many chairs, and PTs have said these are the best cushions.

Rose, do you think these cushions might be useful on a plane? Would they fit? Last time I was in pain the last few hours of the flight because of the pressure on my left bum. The pillows weren't much help.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

The roho cushion is an inflatable air cushion (and is very expensive). I'd look for a generic air cushion if you're only going to use it occasionally. The rohos have tubes that inflate inside it, so it feels "bumpy". Their intent is to evenly distribute weight across your bottom, sinking more in the heavier areas, offering full support. You can sometimes find used ones on eBay (which is also another source for wheelchairs). I bought one from there that has worked just fine.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been using one of these for many years and am quite happy with it:

http://www.spinlife.com/Varilite-Evo...?productID=308

Sometimes I remove it from the chair to use in a vehicle or plane when I know I can't sit in the regular seat. It lifts right out of the wheelchair. I inflate it every day but it's not a big chore.

Yes, it's costly--but it's been entirely covered by Medicare/Medicaid. Um, so far.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

The local guy only sells Drive. One had the features mentioned by everyone. It's 450$. You can remove wheels to make it 23 lbs lift weight. That's better than 2K for ten pound chair.

Craigslist was a bust.

I plan to keep exploring my options. It is not necessary for me to rush into the purchase. The main problem of not having a wheelchair is that I cannot go on extended walks with friends and family, and I cannot shop in large stores like T.J. Maxx Etc.

I plan to keep looking and I figure I will purchase something within about a month. I really appreciate all of the time people put into posting their ideas and thoughts. It really helped me do my shopping. This place is awesome.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My MS beach friends said Medicare will give me a free wheelchair with a dr prescription. Only certain ones, but who can be choosy if it's free. Maybe get soon before Paul Ryan takes it away in the name of freedom?

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Absolutely. That's an excellent idea--getting it now before it becomes impossible.

Medicare usually pays 80%, and you pay the other 20% unless you have insurance or Medicaid that picks up the rest. I

I've had two wheelchairs and both of them were covered completely. I kept the first one for over 20 years because I'd been told that Medicare covered one wheelchair in a lifetime. It turns out that wasn't true, or else the policy changed. I could have had a several new wheelchairs over that time.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Uh oh. I found this on line:"Your provider must sign an order or fill out a prescription or certificate that states that you need the manual wheelchair to function in the home. The order must say that:

Your health makes it very hard to move around in your home even with the help of a walker or cane;
    You have significant problems in your home performing activities of daily living such as getting to the toilet, getting in and out of a bed or a chair, bathing, and dressing and"

At this time, I have no need for it in my house. Strange rule. Guess I have to pay out of pocket. Is this your uunderstanding of Medicare?

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Yes, you can get one free (you pay 20%) manual wheelchair through Medicare. They're OK -- I'm sitting in one now. A bit clunkier than those you might buy, but serviceable. They do fold, so will lie flat in your car. I don't really know if this one has removable wheels...never tried it, as in myde new (used) car, I just roll in, in the chair. As your friend noted, you DO need to get a doctors prescription for it, and then go to a dealer that accepts Medicare assignment. The doctor might know, or you can call dealers in your area.

Yes, supposedly you need to follow those weird guidelines. But if you have a good relationship with your doctor, he can just simply order it, and get it. They (Medicare) doesn't really check.
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; 04-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

So if he is okay with it, I can get a chair even though I don't need one in the house, only need it for street walking and stores? Not much walking or standing happens at home, so I don't need it in house.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast