Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder med?

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default Bladder med?

Is there a latest, greatest bladder med to deal with bladder urgency?

Last one I was on a long time ago was Ditropan, if I recall. Just wanted to check that there wasn't a better one out now. Thanks!

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

There are a pile of them. I went through Vesicare and Enablex, now there is Toviaz too.
    The one that has worked the best for me and I've been taking for years now is trosopium (Sanctura). And it's generic, which may or may not help your Rx plan cover it.
    I'm sure many others will respond, but I'm sticking with my Trospium.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As joshremus said, there are many to choose from.

I've tried Detrol DS, Ditropan, Ornade and Vesicare. All of them caused a dry mouth problem but Vesicare was much better than the others, IMO. It worked well at limiting frequency and the dry mouth it caused was less bothersome.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I liked Vesicare, took it for probably 1.5 years and then it just stopped. No idea why. It wasn't a UTI or anything that could have interfered with it.

The trospium/Sanctura has been working for 5+ years now. I just wish it didn't seem to be one of my most expensive meds no matter which Rx plan I sign up for. Oh well.

I still have a hard time mentally dealing with the fact that it is a generic medication, but my insurance says its "Tier 4 - Non-Preferred Brand". I know it's just how the insurance company classifies it (not really based on brand/generic but most preferred vs least preferred. I just want them to change to terminology just to make me happy lol. Bring on the socialized medicine!

Josh

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshremus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked Vesicare, took it for probably 1.5 years and then it just stopped. No idea why. It wasn't a UTI or anything that could have interfered with it.

The trospium/Sanctura has been working for 5+ years now. I just wish it didn't seem to be one of my most expensive meds no matter which Rx plan I sign up for. Oh well.

I still have a hard time mentally dealing with the fact that it is a generic medication, but my insurance says its "Tier 4 - Non-Preferred Brand". I know it's just how the insurance company classifies it (not really based on brand/generic but most preferred vs least preferred. I just want them to change to terminology just to make me happy lol. Bring on the socialized medicine!

Josh
    Hello Josh,
    I am not sure but I think your Dr. is your advocate for this. He needs to tell your insurance company that you have tried and failed to respond to all accepted drugs. That is how my insurance company's initial rejection has been changed. Perhaps it is a way to force a better copay price.
    Worth a try.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-24-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I went through all of them...and now, as my urologist said, "I have one word for you.....botox!!" I see Josh is new -- welcome to the forum! The rest of the folks here have been bored following my odyssey through two near-death experiences, and lots of other complications...but on to the botox...

went through a series of bladder meds, still had great urgency, bladder spasms, was basically incontinent. Found a new urologist who recommended the botox shots: every 6 months a day surgery (takes about 20 minutes, not including the preparation, another hour or so). Urologist goes in, injects botox into the bladder. You wake up from the surgery (you're put to sleep to avoid discomfort and spasming)...and go about your days until the next six months, when you do it all over again. It has been a godsend. Only occasional spasms, no urgency, no discomfort. I'm scheduled for a third round sometime in the next month or so.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

12. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Cat: totally not bored hearing about your medical journey.

Josh: sometimes if a doc documents why the patient failed the cheaper meds, insurance will approve the expensive one at a lower tier price.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Welcome Josh! I am glad you found us and I hope you stay on. Jeanie :)

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

joshremus has been around here for many years. He's one of quite a few people who don't post much.

It would be nice if they posted more but people get busy with other things.

A few more might start putting this board nearer the top of their list of things to do today--"Visit BrainTalk board" or "Post something on BrainTalk board". We can put on our best clothes and smile sweetly and hope.

Howie, I know your cats keep their paws clean. But is Pinky presentable?

Pinky isn't a cat but a car, for anyone who might be wondering. A car with a personality even if it doesn't run very often.

Gee, I don't run very often either.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

A friend of mine, who also has MS, had botox for her bladder issues an loves how it worked for her.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast